The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 10, 2001, 05:45 PM   #1
charlesfmason

Local dealer has a new Remington 870 Police Magnum in stock for $399. It is the basic model with bead site.
Is this a decent price?
Thanks
Old April 10, 2001, 06:10 PM   #2
Tom B

I paid $359. for mine a couple of months ago. I saw a NIB 870HD for $259. last week. I would give the HD model a look.
Old April 10, 2001, 07:01 PM   #3
Mike Baugh

The going rate on an 870 Police with walnut stock , 18" bead sighted barrel and 2 shot extension at gun shows around here is $429 NIB . They are getting pricey . Good luck , Mike...
Old April 10, 2001, 08:51 PM   #4
Romulus

Charles, I got a NIB 870 Police for $325 on http://www.auctionarms.com
The auctioneer was Hunter Arms...I added $13 for shipping from NY to CA, and $35 transfer fees (a little inflated.) So you can get this for well under $400. If I had to go back, I'd get an 870 HD. Not as pretty, but fully the gun.

Old April 10, 2001, 09:45 PM   #5
charlesfmason

What are the specific differences between the 870 Police Magnum and the 870 HD?
Old April 11, 2001, 08:57 AM   #6
Romulus

As far as I can tell, the difference is purely cosmetic. The HD is an Express model, meaning the receiver and barrel arent polished, but grit blasted and blued...there's actually nominally more meat on an Express model

Also, my Police model has a walnut-stained beech stock, not an actual walnut stock...
Old April 11, 2001, 11:05 AM   #7
TCW

"More meat"?
Old April 11, 2001, 12:14 PM   #8
Romulus

More meat: more metal, as the receiver is not ground and polished. The top of the receiver is not milled on the Express, hence no decorative flats, hence all the original metal from the original forged billet, minus machining for the internals, is still there. You can even see the tool marks trough the grit blasting - further evidence that no metal is removed to achieve an aesthetic finish...i.e., more meat...he he
Old April 11, 2001, 07:33 PM   #9
JNewell

The differences are more than purely cosmetic. In no particular order...

The PM has the "normal" magazine tube that will accept accessories like a magazine tube extension without modifying the tube to remove the two dimples.

Unless things have changed very recently, the PM has the "normal" safety, not that key-locked hazard that has been known to lock itself "on" without using the key.

The PM also has an aluminum triggerguard rather than the plastic used on the HDs and Expresses.

The PM has a phosphate finish that is more durable and corrosion-resistant than the bead-blasted bluing on the HD.

The PM also has heavier shell latches, a heavier sear spring and a heavier magazine spring than the HDs and Expresses. It also has a shorter fore-end to allow full-length sidesaddles, sling swivel studs, a ball detent on the barrel ring to secure the magazine cap, and a hi-viz follower.

According to Remington LE armorers, the PM also gets additional polishing before it leaves the factory.

Also, all of the PMs I have seen had real walnut stocks, not stained birch or other hardwood. It's possible that this has changed recently, though.

Whether this is worth the extra dollars over the HD, however, is your call!

[Edited by JNewell on 04-12-2001 at 07:22 PM]
Old April 11, 2001, 07:43 PM   #10
charlesfmason

Thanks for all the valuable info. I especially thank JNewell for the insight into the differences.
Personally, I think these differences are worth the extra bucks.
Regards,
Charles
Old April 13, 2001, 03:19 AM   #11
WoundChannel

I picked up an HD for $250.00 at a local shop.
Old April 13, 2001, 04:40 PM   #12
Monkeyleg

My local dealer had an 870 Police Magnum with plastic furniture and a tritium front post sight for $399. FWIW

Dick
Old November 30, 2002, 11:18 PM   #13
Chris W

Hey, sorry to drag up old business just to trumpet, but I'm feeling pretty good. Went to an area shop that has usually high prices (at least on handguns, which is what I've paid most attention to previously) and found a NIB 870 Police Magnum for 318.95, a good chunk less than the folks abover were talking about a year and a half ago. What gives? Has the bottom dropped out of Remington, or what? The gun's finish is smooth and regular (Parkarized), the whole thing feels very solid, and the walnut stock is head and shoulders above anything on the Express models. So, yay! is really all I wanted to add here. I've got a bad habit of paying what people ask for what I want, so I feel particularly glad to think I got a deal.

Cw
Old December 1, 2002, 09:31 AM   #14
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Good price,Chris. Now buy ammo, use up, repeat...
Old December 2, 2002, 03:43 PM   #15
buzz_knox

I can get an Express with 18" barrel and factory 2 round extension for $239 plus tax, title, etc. As a beginner, would I be better served with that or jumping up to the Wilson/SCT Professional, which I've found for $675?
Old December 2, 2002, 03:56 PM   #16
Chris W

Now here's hubris for ya: I'm a beginner, too, but I'm gonna predict what Dave McC is going to tell you, and reading just a few of the many gigs of stuff in the archives here convinces me it's sound advice. Start with the Express (or--Dave wil say--even better, a used Police Magnum); learn how to mount it, be sure it fits you, and spend that money on ammo. The sages of the place are big advocates of proficiency, it seems--which is a drag for those of us who are eager to have our expertise for a mere price tag Alas!

Now, to sit back and see if my observations bear out--or have I altered the experiment by my very observation? Schroedinger, is the cat alive? Okay, I've got to stop now.

cw
Old December 3, 2002, 05:31 AM   #17
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

(Gazing sternly at Chris over reading glasses, what the kids call the Daddy Look)

Thanks,Chris, nice to know the message is getting out.

Buzz, Chris nailed it,hubris aside.

The time and place for an accessory or modification here is when performance CANNOT be improved by practice and training. That's farther up the learning curve than most go.

Of course there's exceptions, in the real world few absolutes rule.

The shotgun HAS to fit, tho not down to the right 1/32". That's the whole ergonomic bundle and not jsut the fit of the stock.

The trigger HAS to be clean,safe and of a weight the shooter finds controllable.

The sights NEED to be easy and fast to acquire.

Buy an 870, new or used. Make sure these three things are OK, then go shoot. Use good form and burn up a few cases of lighter loads. After maybe 200 rounds,note how much better you're shooting. Buy more ammo, and when you stop improving, figure out if it's form, fit, or the lack of gadgets that's blocking you.If that's hard,post rat cheer, there's a lot of helpful folks around this BB.

HTH....
Old December 3, 2002, 08:41 AM   #18
buzz_knox

I've got some training time on a Moss 590, Vang Comp 870, and SCT 1187P. Of all of them, I prefer the 1187P (minus a couple of gadgets). But, I figured a good pump gun is a must for any collection so I'm going to get an 870 as well. I was just trying to figure out which one offered the most bang for the buck (pun intended).