The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 18, 2002, 07:32 PM   #1
Coronach

Police Sweaters

Anyone have any advice on police sweaters? You know, the black, ribbed-knit, "commando" uber-tactical kind that LEOs always seem to be wearing. My PD allows you to wear them if you provide your own...so I'm looking into it...and all of my coworkers are of the "Just buy it from Galls, duh" or "go to the local cop-shop and be financially raped" variety... they think paying $50 for a Streamlight Scorpion is a good deal.

I'm interested in what brands are good, what to look for/what to avoid, and where to buy.

Thanks all!

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old November 18, 2002, 07:50 PM   #2
Coronach

OK, so I'm doing a web search on this (as opposed to relying solely upon the TFL Meta-Search, which is 'ask about it on TFL and someone will reveal to you The Truth'), and I come up with this:

http://www.tremble.com/scribblins/meet001129.html

Quote:
In fact, as soon as I finish writing this I am heading to the gym. I'm already dressed in my gym outfit: black combat fatigues, Wolverine workboots, commando sweater, shoulder holster, ski mask, and two giant canvas sacks with a large "$" sign painted on each. (Or, as they're known in exercise lexicon, my "heavy hands") This outfit is completely practical for me because I like to use the treadmill but I hate to run. So, in order to mentally overcome my disdain for this form of exercise, I pretend I'm running from something. Today I'll be running from the Chicago police department. Yesterday I wore a panther skin and pretended I was running from an angry triceratops. It's a little extra work, but I feel fantastic.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old November 18, 2002, 09:25 PM   #3
Jeff White

Mike,
Try Brigade Quartermaster they are good to deal with, but I don't know if their prices are any better then Galls.

We tried the sweaters and found that they weren't really compatible with the duty belt.

Jeff
Old November 18, 2002, 09:51 PM   #4
Jim V

Brigade Quartermaster is a good company to deal with. They often have the Wooly Pullies on sale (seconds) I have and wore, while on the department, the vee neck Navy sweaters.

Also try:
Quartermaster Uniform, they are located in California and they have some very good prices.
Old November 18, 2002, 09:52 PM   #5
KSFreeman

I used to wear a pink one with a poodle on it around the office in the winter. However, for some reason, my fellow LEOs did not think it tactical. Go figure.
Old November 18, 2002, 10:12 PM   #6
Jeff White

KS,
No wonder the other guys didn't think it was tactical...everyone knows it's the skirt that's supposed to have the poodle on it....how would you decoy the muggers at the high school in a poodle sweater?

Jeff
Old November 19, 2002, 11:05 AM   #7
Coronach

thx for the replies. Right now Galls has some Blauer sweaters on clearance, and the prices ain't bad, considering...

Mike

Old November 19, 2002, 11:54 AM   #8
C.R.Sam

He wasn't tryin to decoy muggers at the High School....
He was trolling for nubiles

Sam
Old November 19, 2002, 03:06 PM   #9
HKguy9

Coro, my LL Bean catalog that came in the mail yesterday had some tactical commando sweaters...
Old November 19, 2002, 10:49 PM   #10
Coronach

I HIGHLY doubt they have epaulets, badge tabs and nameplate tabs...the things you REALLY need to be tactical.

Tactical...its more than just being black.

Mike

Old November 19, 2002, 11:24 PM   #11
HKguy9

Quote:
I HIGHLY doubt they have epaulets, badge tabs and nameplate tabs...the things you REALLY need to be tactical.
Well ya didn't say THAT did ya?

Can you find something cheap er...tactically affordable and sew some tactical velcro on it?
Old November 20, 2002, 02:15 AM   #12
campus ninja

Commmando Sweater

I bought mine from Quater Master. I paid $30 for mine and like it alot. I wore this sweater all last winter(2001) althought it was very mild winter at that. I like the looks of it andit is warm. Mine however is not line with Gortex. Enjoy
Old November 20, 2002, 07:11 AM   #13
KSFreeman

Skirts? Right! We need Gomez.
Old November 20, 2002, 11:50 AM   #14
4V50 Gary
Staff

Got any military buddies? Go to the PX and pick it up there. A couple years back, I got mine cheaper than the uniform shop. Then again, it didn't have a badge holder on nameplate holder, but that can be sewn on.