The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 10, 2002, 07:15 AM   #1
edamon2k

IPSC - Southern California

I went to their site, but didn't see any events listed for Southern California.

Does it exist out here? Looks like a fun thing to start doing.

thanks

-d
Old April 10, 2002, 08:28 AM   #2
eerw

Go to www.uspsa.org

thats the US IPSC region..lots of clubs in that area and big matches too..
Old April 11, 2002, 06:52 AM   #3
edamon2k

thanks, i looked again and saw the "clubs" link. They hold matches about 40 miles away in BFE, heh. Looks like I'm gonna do some this May.

I'll be shooting my sig 226, which from the rules, looks like I have to fire first shot DA, which kinda sookers, but it'll be ok to get a feel for the format, etc. Looks like the 1911 .45's have a big advantage in the rules and scoring (sa + load power). So a kimber will certainly be on the list.

-d
Old April 11, 2002, 10:47 AM   #4
eerw

Shooting you Sig226 will put you in Production division...this probably ruled by the Glock..but it requires all guns to be DA/SA or safe action..all guns are scored minor (9mm).I think you will be fine...

The 1911 pretty much rules Limited and Open, and a favorite in Limited 10..because of the SA..Glocks do well in Limited and L10 too..

Big thing is to make sure you have a good holster and enough magazines..most IPSC matches shoot about 100 to 150 rounds with field courses in the 22 to 36 round area..so if you are shooting a L10 or production div. gun you would need at least four mags..one in the gun and three on the belt..

anyway..good luck, have fun, shoot safe..
Old April 11, 2002, 12:33 PM   #5
Covert Mission

There are two main IPSC clubs I know of in SoCal:

at Rahaage's in Norco (off the 10 or 60 fwy), and
SW Pistol League in Piru, between Santa Clarita and Ventura off Hwy 126(?)

SWPL has a good neighboring club, for IDPA shooting, called ISI. Check out www.isishootists.com I think.
Old April 11, 2002, 01:28 PM   #6
9x45

Theres also Palm Springs and Pala.
Old April 12, 2002, 07:21 AM   #7
edamon2k

Thats good to know about the production group. I wasn't aware of that.

I can see glocks having an advantage, given their first pull is 4lb vs. my 12lb, however, after that it should even out.

I've got 2 hi-cap mags and on 10 rounder, I'm gonna seek out a few more hi-caps if I can find them. I've got a (cough) uncle mike holster, but practicing I can draw it pretty dang fast. I'm going to look into some better competition holsters.
Old April 12, 2002, 06:37 PM   #8
HKguy9

edamon2k,

I shoot at Raahauges' often. I used to go there about 4 times a month before I had to start saving cash a few months ago.

Where do you live? That 40 miles isn't that bad on Saturday mornings when everyone is still hung over from Friday night.
Old April 12, 2002, 08:32 PM   #9
9x45

Skunk and ed, I willl be at Norco this Saturday. Just ask JoJo or Regie to point out the IDPA guy......
Old April 14, 2002, 09:17 AM   #10
edamon2k

Quote:
edamon2k,

I shoot at Raahauges' often. I used to go there about 4 times a month before I had to start saving cash a few months ago.

Where do you live? That 40 miles isn't that bad on Saturday mornings when everyone is still hung over from Friday night.
I've live in Marina del Rey. Actually the drive isn't that bad, but it's is in the middle of seemingly nowhere (least from looking at yahoo maps, lol).

Sat morning won't be bad at all, I drove up to San Fran 2 weeks ago, made the mistake of leaving at 4pm. I took me 3 hours to go 37 miles, not even at magic mountain yet. lol

I'm starting to venture out in my shooting. Hopefully hit up a bunch of these events next month, and heading out to the Angeles Ranges. I'm getting bored shooting indoors.

-d
Old April 15, 2002, 04:37 PM   #11
ryucasta

The following website might be able to help you.

http://www.jmallard.com/

Raul

Scarface/Tony Montana Says:

Send me here. Send me there. This. That. Nothing you can do to me Harry, Castro didn’t do --- nothing...