The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 23, 2014, 11:02 AM   #1
snidervolley

duel wielding lemats

does any body carry lemats ?and does anybody carry two lemats in cowboy action shooting?
i was wondering(rooking to action shooting) is there different categories ,i.e. i know there are Winchester n Henry galore but is there cap and ball category (pistol rifle shot gun )?
Old December 23, 2014, 12:23 PM   #2
Fingers McGee

There are cap and ball categories in SASS and NCOWS. Unfortunately, the LeMat is not legal in SASS sanctioned matches. Revolvers can have no more than 6 chambers (only exception is the Nagant revolver that has seven).

IIRC it's not legal for NCOWS either.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old December 23, 2014, 01:54 PM   #3
snidervolley

Wow! Not right!
Old December 23, 2014, 05:55 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

They could start a LeMat category.
Old December 25, 2014, 02:13 PM   #5
Fingers McGee

I doubt that it would ever happen. Not enough interest.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old December 25, 2014, 06:35 PM   #6
hartcreek

Seems to me just another reason to NOT shoot SASS or NCOWS.....
Old December 26, 2014, 11:48 PM   #7
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Seems to me just another reason to NOT shoot SASS or NCOWS.....
Oh, give me a break.
Old December 27, 2014, 10:43 AM   #8
Hawg

Old December 27, 2014, 01:29 PM   #9
Dustbowlkid

There is a good review of the LeMat revolver in one of the past issues of "Guns of the Old West" magazine. Doesn't sound like it would hold up to Cowboy Action shooting.
Old December 27, 2014, 04:16 PM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

I don't see why they can't allow one to shoot in a non-competition category. No medals, glory or kisses from pretty girls but all the fun anyhow. Oh well, their game, their rules.
Old December 27, 2014, 06:10 PM   #11
Hawg

CAS is a lot of fun if you can afford it but its not a poor mans hobby. There's things I don't like about it and things that don't make sense but it is their game and their rules. It's not a historical reenactment, its just about shooting guns and having fun.
Old December 27, 2014, 07:01 PM   #12
Bpcurious

Dual wielding LeMats?!!

Don't those things weigh close to 5 pounds each loaded?

Better wear a belt AND suspenders
Old December 27, 2014, 07:50 PM   #13
Fingers McGee

Local clubs can do whatever they want as far as allowing otherwise unauthorized equipment. One club I belong to allows bolt action rifles and double action revolvers and Grand Army of the Frontier categories in addition to the normal SASS categories. Not all clubs are as lenient or open minded.

We've not allowed the LeMat, cause nobody's asked & I can't say if it would be allowed if asked.
Old December 28, 2014, 09:16 PM   #14
Rigmarol

I shoot double Dragoons double cross draw.
Some clubs don't allow double cross draw other are ok with it.

Get into a small local club and you'll be able to shoot anything you want as long as it's safe. I'm nowhere near good enough to threaten anyone out of the top winning spots so I'm not paid much attention other than as a novelty for shooting the big horse pistols.

Don't let anyone keep you from having fun with your lemats. Just go visit and ask if you can play with your toys in their game. If the answer is no, go elsewhere.