The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 16, 2013, 08:44 PM   #26
Sierra280

I going with the relatively low price being the problem. When business gets slow I buy cars with mechanical problems, fix 'em up then sell them. I get the biggest jerks, nit pickers, and otherwise nasty people when I'm selling a $1500 toyota corolla, but not a single person like that when I'm selling something like, a $7000 acura.
Old August 17, 2013, 12:14 AM   #27
Gallstones

Might it be related to this?
Old August 17, 2013, 05:39 PM   #28
kilimanjaro

There are folks who just think because it used to be $75, it should always be $75.
Old August 17, 2013, 05:59 PM   #29
iraiam

Quote:
Unspoken, it is a Norinco in exceptionally good condition and even has the bayonet. I was asking $315 for the gun (what I have in it) and $5.47 a box for the Wolf ammo. I did have it listed as a package and broke it down for them in the ad. You see, I am a communist price gouger.
Is it stamped with a /26\ on the side of it? Way back Norinco imported many of these but did not build them, they are made just like the Russian SKS, I'm leaning toward these people are harassing you because your price is a lot lower than theirs and they don't want their price undercut. I've seen SKS prices from $600 - $800 lately.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old August 17, 2013, 06:15 PM   #30
CWKahrFan

Hmmm... Interesting theory... Actually the most repugnant gun-jerk I've ever encountered DID, in fact, respond to my ad when I was selling an SKS many years ago... Maybe there's something to it...
Old August 17, 2013, 09:06 PM   #31
Tom Servo
Staff

If this thread proves one thing, it's the fact that we can be our own worst enemies sometimes. We don't just let ourselves get factionalized: we actively do it to each other.

Case in point: back during the panic, I was at the shop and a young guy mentioned that I must have "tons of AR's." I responded that I had one, but I wasn't really a fan of the rifle.

He blew up. "You're just a Fudd who thinks everything but deer rifles should be banned! You don't support us. Imma go tell the internets!"

Well, if he'd stuck around to listen, he'd have learned something. I don't like that the iron sights are so far above the bore, I don't like the fact that the rifle is front-heavy, and I don't trust the gas system. It's not for me.

Does that mean it's not for him? No. Does that mean I think they should be restricted? Heck no. In fact, I've probably done way more to support his right to own Stoner's little varmint gun than he ever will.

I'm an old fuddy-duddy because I shoot revolvers better than automatics. I'm not a combat shooter because I shoot slower (but better) than Rapid Fire Timmy. If I do shoot at the same speed as Timmy, I'm not wearing the right brand of shooting vest. Heaven help me if I show up at a skeet shoot in blue jeans.

It's all so tiresome and divisive.
Old August 17, 2013, 10:03 PM   #32
Joe_Pike

I really don't consider myself anyone's own worst enemy. As I've said before, I don't care what kind of gun or how many guns anyone owns. I believe that should be a decision a person makes for themselves and I'll do what I can to help you retain the right to do so. I was just curious if anyone thought certain types of guns were a draw to certain types of people. I guess it's because I worked around a certain criminal element for 20 years and kind of got used to what was liked and disliked amongst them.

I've got a friend that had to have a Desert Eagle .50 some time back. That purchase for him didn't surprise me. What would surprise me is if he would pick up an old model 10 revolver. He is a guy that was always right on the edge. For him it was always go big or go home. Sometimes that left him right on the edge of the law in certain ways without ever crossing over to the dark side. I'm the opposite of that and would probably never own a DE (and I'm not saying that DEs only draw people that are like that). I always thought the draw of that gun to him was the outrageous-ness of it. It didn't make me not want to be his friend, though.

It's just after a half a dozen times of listing this gun with the same results has me puzzled. It's not overpriced, nor is the ammo, so, it just had me wondering what the deal was. No big conspiracy.

I sold a S&W 442 today that I listed on Armslist. Great experience. No hateful emails and no name calling.
Old August 17, 2013, 10:36 PM   #33
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
What would surprise me is if he would pick up an old model 10 revolver.
I'm something of a staunch traditionalist, but I bought my first Glock this week. Everyone was shocked. I think, subconsciously, that I might have been trolling my friends a bit with that one
Old August 18, 2013, 07:19 PM   #34
MC 1911

At that price it wouldn't last long around me!!
Old August 18, 2013, 11:02 PM   #35
SHE3PDOG

Perhaps there is something to be said for the attraction one has to a particular gun, or group of guns, when they are new to the hobby, but I don't think there is much of a stereotype to be had for people that have been well established in shooting for a while. They may have made an uninformed first purchase, but after a while people figure out what they like.

For instance, I never thought I'd like the AR platform after using the m16/m4 as my service rifle for so long, but I decided to get one because they are extremely customizeable, and relatively easy to build. I love tinkering around with guns, so building it was almost as fun as shooting it for me.

I'm not sure about this whole "mall ninja" thing. Maybe I live in a cave, but I've not seen too many people like that. It also may be safe to say that certain people are drawn to a certain group of weapons, but that doesn't mean that other people who also have those weapons should be judged in the same manner.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old August 19, 2013, 08:50 AM   #36
zukiphile

I would think that if you are selling an SKS you would attract a high proportion of people on very modest budgets and who might just be starting in the hobby. That itself would not excuse the lapse of ordinary etiquette you note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
If this thread proves one thing, it's the fact that we can be our own worst enemies sometimes. We don't just let ourselves get factionalized: we actively do it to each other.
I think it is substantially divisive if skeet shooters support semiautomatic rifle restrictions because "if you want to shoot a machine gun, you can join the Army". It seems substantially divisive if rifle shooters characterize concealed handgun carriers as criminals or unbalanced people living a fantasy.

I do not believe it is particularly divisive to note that some peoples' consumer preferences are tied very closely to self image. You find this with cars, shoes, suits and firearms. I prefer .22lr, but have run into quite a few shooters who see the "tactical inferiority" of my preference as evidence of my own cognitive deficit.

I would not think of those people as my worst enemy. Maybe that means my enemies are worse than average.
Old August 19, 2013, 12:37 PM   #37
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I think it is substantially divisive if skeet shooters support semiautomatic rifle restrictions because "if you want to shoot a machine gun, you can join the Army"
You know, I have seen very little of that, and I deal with hundreds of gun people in a week. I've heard a few folks say, "why would someone want an AR-15?" The response is, "it's a low-recoil rifle with affordable ammo that makes a good home-defense and varmint gun." They nod their heads and say "OK, but it's not for me." I've only heard five or six of those guys in twenty years say they felt such things should be banned.

There's a big difference between "I don't see the point" and "I don't think they should be legal." It seems some gun folks are so oversensitive that they get the two utterances confused.

The idea of the gun-ban supporting Fudd is needlessly stereotypical and based on a much smaller subset of the gun culture than many seem to assume.
Old August 19, 2013, 01:31 PM   #38
zukiphile

Quote:
There's a big difference between "I don't see the point" and "I don't think they should be legal."
Indeed.

Quote:
I've only heard five or six of those guys in twenty years say they felt such things should be banned.
A sentiment I have heard more frequently from clays, bullseye, long range rifle, IDPA or hunting enthusiast is that the 2d Am. clearly protects the specific object of his enthusiasm, but not necessarily other shooting genres. Politically, that kind of balkanization is a problem for 2d Am advocates.

On the other hand, just making fun of people as people gets a laugh from people because we have all come across one type or another. A few years ago, I saw a list of the types one sees at the range. Descriptions included the fellow who shows up in camouflage with an AK with a bunch of things screwed to it, fires a thousand rounds in 20 minutes and leaves just after retrieving his perfectly unused target, and the elderly benchrest shooting who shoots once every ten minutes so his barrel doesn't overheat. People and their behaviors are funny, even at the range.

Last edited by zukiphile; August 19, 2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old August 30, 2013, 11:02 AM   #39
SPEMack618

Quote:
I'm something of a staunch traditionalist, but I bought my first Glock this week. Everyone was shocked. I think, subconsciously, that I might have been trolling my friends a bit with that one
What? Say it ain't so Joe....

I go away and play Boy Scout for a little while and this happens.

Actually, I get a lot of the reverse stereotyping when I tell people that I shoot skeet competively more than anything or go to my LGS after a round of sporting clays.

"You dress fancy and shoot a Beretta over and under. You must not like my AR-"

Actually, I don't much care for the AR-15 because I get to use one enough in my other job, and I sorta agree with Colonel Cooper and think the thing is a poodle shooter, however, that doesn't stop me from actively supporting the NRA-ILA.

We, as gun owners, are our own worst enemies. And sadly, the animosity flows every which away, not just Fudds disliking the three-gun military style shooters.
Old August 31, 2013, 03:05 PM   #40
Faulkner

Quote:
SKS' and other surplus firearms are popular among a younger crowd because they're cheap, easy to feed, and recommended highly on the internet. Younger people may generally be more hotheaded.

Or it could be just coincidence
M1 carbines are no longer cheap to buy or feed, and they tend to be purchased by the older crowd who are no less hotheaded.

You want to see a bunch of M1 carbine collectors get in a lather, post a question about which is better to refinish a stock; boiled lindseed oil or raw lindseed oil. It's downright amusing to watch.
Old August 31, 2013, 03:49 PM   #41
Herr Walther

I love German and Austrian made rifles and handguns. With the exception of a S&W 4006 I was forced by my department to own and carry and an Argentine Hi Power, I've never owned anything else.

What group does that put me in?
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old August 31, 2013, 09:24 PM   #42
lee n. field

Quote:
The gun in question is an SKS. It is only this gun that brings out the accusations of being a communist (because I had some requirements that irritated them) or of being a price gouger (I included ammo in the listing with the gun that was priced under the lowest retail price out there at $5.47 per box), etc.

Then again, I may just have bad luck.
Incomprehensible to me. If I see an absurd ad, I may point it out to friends. I wouldn't point it out to the seller. Certainly not abusively.

People are still thinking SKS' should be costing a hundred bucks each, like they did twenty years ago?

Split out the ammo separately. Just a thought.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old September 3, 2013, 11:23 AM   #43
johnwilliamson062

As high as I see SKSs advertised, the ones I have seen selling are lower. True of many guns. I have one listed at ridiculous prices regularly. Costs me nothing beyond deleting a few rude e-mails and maybe someone will come along and buy it someday. I wouldn't sell it for what it is "worth" though. When I have sold guns with ammunition the ammunition usually brings about half retail. Same for almost every accessory. If I want to sell it separately and it is a big enough lot I can get maybe 80%. Usually several hundred rounds minimum. People don't want to drive to meet someone for a $10 savings. In addition one hardly knows how old the ammo is or how it was stored.

In January I had a few hundred rounds of 40SW I would never shoot. Thought it was a good time to unload it. I thought it was a good time to sell it. Offered it for pre-panic retail. No one wanted it. Only sold it when I was going the same place as someone who wanted it so neither of us had to drive. If you post your price and items here I am sure some will comment. PM me if you prefer.

I have an SKS and a K31
A hipoint and a Kahr T9
A Mossberg and an Italian folding single shot
A Colt revolver and a Glock.
In all of those cases thee are situation where I would pick one over the other.
90% of my want list is 22lr copies of a very broad variety of guns. Every 22lr copy out there more or less.

I am at the young end of the shooting community and probably even the young end of this internet forum.
Old September 3, 2013, 02:18 PM   #44
larryh1108

Quote:
I think this is a strong statement that is over-stated.
We start (right or wrong) at a very young age to stereotype or group others. Kids stereotype others as moma's boys or bullys or princesses. In school you have the jocks, geeks and nerds (I have no idea what it is today). In the business world you have the suits and kissups, the pothead and alki, etc. Each hobby has their own sub-classes. Right or wrong, it is an everyday occurance and not necessarily a bad thing in conversations. It does become hateful when someone acts against another for being different. (See the history of the World).

We do have revolver guys, mall ninjas, 1911 snobs, Glockophiles, etc. Usually it is said tongue-in-cheek unless it is used to attack someone in an unfriendly way. Being a part of the Gun Culture and calling ourselves "Whatever" is not harmful to our group because every group, everywhere, does it to some degree.
Old September 6, 2013, 03:52 AM   #45
Tejicano

Funny story - at least to me.

I am a shooter, builder, collector of just about every class of firearm other than trap/skeet shotguns. Muzzle loaders to registered machineguns and everything in between.

My first SKS was a Norinco direct from some police armory in the PRC. Screwed barrel (not pinned), machined fire-control housing (not stamped), and bayonet intact. I paid a bit over $100 - this was over 20 years ago. By coincidence the store owner I bought it from had a reputation of being a jerk with a bad temper.

A few years ago I was at a gun show with the intention to replace that gun with something similar - and I found a factory stock Norinco in the same configuration for $300. Not only was I happy with the price but it turned out the dealer selling it was my usual FFL - a sweet natured, retired military officer I have bought dozens of firearms though.

A few minutes later I found another Norinco SKS missing the magazine and the gas system parts with the price of $100. I snapped that one up too just to have one I could "Bubba" without remorse. That seller was also cheerful and easy to deal with.

I don't see anything wrong with the deal you are offering. I suppose the internet brings out the weirdos sometimes.

Last edited by Tejicano; September 6, 2013 at 04:01 AM.