The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 29, 2012, 09:58 AM   #1
unclekuster

??? gas block question ???

I got an AR I'd like to change a little, and the front sight doesn't work for me.
So I need a low profile gas block. Question(s) is: why would i need an "adjustable" gas block, and is it worth the extra cost ?
Old September 29, 2012, 11:40 AM   #2
Regolith

An adjustable gas block lets you tune the gas system to the loads you're using. With hotter loads you'd close up the aperture a bit to keep your brass from being tossed into the next county, and with softer loads you'd open it up so it will cycle more reliably. Or you could close it completely to turn it into a single shot/straight pull bolt action.

It's a fairly popular mod for Mini-14s, as they tend to have problems with chucking brass all the way across the range, but I haven't heard of them being used with AR-15s all that much.

It may be worth buying if you plan on mounting a suppressor any time in the future, as closing the gas system helps keep the noise down or you can open it up and cycle subsonic loads better, but other than that it's not really all that necessary, unless you absolutely hate chasing brass down.

Last edited by Regolith; September 29, 2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old September 29, 2012, 09:52 PM   #3
DnPRK

A gas-operated rifle balances gas port pressure against the sprung weight of the bolt carrier/buffer group. Using ammo with the wrong burning rate powder, or if your barrel's gas port is the wrong size will throw that balance out of whack. The result is failure to extract or failure to feed.

If your rifles cycles reliably with good ammo, you don't need an adjustable gas block.
Old September 29, 2012, 10:09 PM   #4
Powderman

Also--if you have a front sight/gas block that is pinned in place, you're going to have a devil of a time getting it off. Those pins are swaged in under tremendous pressure.
Old September 29, 2012, 10:21 PM   #5
bedlamite

Adjustable blocks on AR-15's are more common with supressor, but usually not necessary otherwise. You can usually tune the system with different weight bolts, buffers, and springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderman
Also--if you have a front sight/gas block that is pinned in place, you're going to have a devil of a time getting it off. Those pins are swaged in under tremendous pressure.
Actually, it's very easy.
Old September 29, 2012, 11:30 PM   #6
Quentin2

A lot of folks just cut down the standard A2 sight leaving a nice low profile gas block. As has been mentioned above, those things are really on there so why not retain the gas block portion. A longer rail will cover up your handywork.
Old September 30, 2012, 06:29 AM   #7
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Question(s) is: why would i need an "adjustable" gas block, and is it worth the extra cost ?
Only if you plan on using a suppressor.

It's easy to cut the sight block you have, a search should find you many diy's.
Old September 30, 2012, 05:19 PM   #8
Powderman

Bedlamite--you might want to read the comments under that YouTube video--which oversimplifies the process greatly.

Have you tried to remove the FSB pins from a Colt front sight base? It's not easy. Trust me on this one.