The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 25, 2012, 10:39 AM   #1
ClydeFrog

TSA: CONUS air travel, firearms....

A new media story in my area brings up a important reminder, don't forget to check ALL your bags & items before you go to the airport!
A young man who went to Atlanta GA for a hunting trip returned to the area I live in where he was arrested for a small gun in his backpack.
The man claims he forgot the firearm was there.
These minor events occur often but be careful. Know your airlines SOPs re; weapons, ammunition and check your bags/cases before you travel.

Jail isn't a nice place and even if it's a simple error, you'll be in a major hassle.

Clyde
Old September 25, 2012, 11:19 AM   #2
Technosavant

IMO, one should keep their firearm luggage and their air travel luggage completely separate. I don't take my range bag on the plane, I don't take my good luggage to the range. That prevents issues like a forgotten round/gun/etc. from getting me tossed in the clink.

If one absolutely MUST cross pollinate, then it's on that person to properly sanitize the bag from any kind of gun or ammo. If that isn't done, well, my compassion is pretty limited. Should it be a life-ruining error? That's up for discussion, but I could see people trying to deliberately sneak guns onto the plane and just try to shrug it off as an error to avoid the legal consequences of the attempt.