The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 25, 2012, 07:38 PM   #26
jackpine

Well in that case I would go shop for a nice used high standard 12 ga pump or a nice used Ithica 37 in 12 or 20 as my first choices as they are smooth like no others and shouldn't be over $300 and if it's a new gun an 870 20 ga.

If you go 12 just buy low recoil shells and your getting 20 ga performance out of a 12 or if you think it's easier to stick with 20 thats good as well and an M37 in 20 is a nice compact unit.
Old July 25, 2012, 08:19 PM   #27
Al Den

Nah, the little .410 regular pump it is then. And some kind of defense ammo as below after she practices with the cheap stuff? Think they all hold 5 3" American-made shells.

Get her a flat of .410 to go try trap and skeet. Then a coupla boxes of each of these. One each to test, one each for defense, and get her a sleeve of whatever she likes best of the two...

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/winc...-p-119919.html

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/winc...-p-124439.html
Old July 25, 2012, 09:43 PM   #28
WV_gunner

I really think the Rossi Circuit Judge is the way to go. Very light, smaller framed, simple, quick, and reliable. Hornady and Winchester both sell 3 inch 000. Or you could try Winchester's defense rounds. Personally, I'd go with the 000. 5 .36 caliber pellots will put a hurting on someone. It holds 5 shots and double action, in just a few seconds 25 pellots could be fired. And on the off chance it needs reloaded, reloading is quick. If you modify the stock, companies make speed loaders for these too. I have one of these guns and I have no complaints.

Another option, Saiga .410, but I have no experience with one. But I have a Draco pistol, I wouldn't hesitate to buy an AK based gun, if I had the money.