The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 25, 2011, 10:23 PM   #1
ZVP

Hammer Hand?

I have a broken hammer hand spring on my Uberti London Model.
I bought a replacement from "Dixie" and it needs to be fitted. It's pratically a rough cast part!
A task I am not tooled-up to do.
A local gunsmith at a shop said he could fit the part but now has backedd off and won't touch BP revolvers for some reason. (All he does is AR's now)
My question is does Uberti have an outlet for more closely fitted parts? I could do some minor re-shaping (but can't take 1/32" or more off small parts).
My thinking is that maybe they sell drop-ins?
Does anyone know?
How bout B/P Gunsmiths, know of any?
I'm in Central California.
Thanks,
ZVP
Old July 25, 2011, 10:39 PM   #2
Fingers McGee

Any had you buy will need some fitting. The ones I've gotten from VTI (genuine Uberti parts) usually dont require much to be taken off the nose to work.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old July 25, 2011, 10:43 PM   #3
Model-P

Is there a reason you are replacing the whole hand if just the spring is broken?
Old July 26, 2011, 02:53 AM   #4
arcticap

Here's a reputable cap & ball gunsmith in Orange, California:

http://www.cowboyshooters.com/
Old July 26, 2011, 04:05 AM   #5
Hawg

It's not hard to file down a hand to fit.
Old July 26, 2011, 09:13 AM   #6
Noz

Just do it a couple of strokes at a time. I have several "too short" hands.
Old July 26, 2011, 09:27 AM   #7
ZVP

Thanks guys!

I'll check into all of this!
One source will do it.
I'm going to call VTI and get a hammer spring and pratice on fixing the part. I know they break pretty often so a spare ought to be a handy thing to have!
Thanks again.
ZVP
Old July 26, 2011, 10:28 AM   #8
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model P
Is there a reason you are replacing the whole hand if just the spring is broken?
Cause it's easier to file the nose of the hand than it is to open the notch that holds the broken piece in, remove the broken piece of spring from the hand, insert a new (or handmade) spring, then close & stake the notch to hold the new spring in.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old July 26, 2011, 11:00 AM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
I know they break pretty often so a spare ought to be a handy thing to have!
I've broken one since 1969 and it was a few years ago and it was the gun I bought in 1969.
Old July 26, 2011, 01:05 PM   #10
Model-P

Quote:
Cause it's easier to file the nose of the hand than it is to open the notch that holds the broken piece in, remove the broken piece of spring from the hand, insert a new (or handmade) spring, then close & stake the notch to hold the new spring in.
That's interesting. I've had no such trouble replacing hand springs, but I haven't had to replace the hand spring on my Uberti 1858 yet. I just assumed it should be as easy as on my Colt SAAs. Thanks.
Old July 26, 2011, 01:19 PM   #11
Hawg

A bobby pin makes a pretty good replacement too.
Old July 26, 2011, 10:23 PM   #12
ZVP

I
m gonna try ordering a new spring from VTI. Their site lists the darn thing for $1.79 so why not give it a try, eh? I think I can open the slot with an old knife blade and a small hammer or even a small "C" clamp.
The oldtimers couldn't ship their guns to a Gun Smith so they fixed them theirselves. Part of the allure to these old style guns!
ZVP