The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 15, 2009, 10:39 PM   #1
Coot_Commander

Multi-Expand Charge Die System

Hey guys, long time reader first time writer. I'm pretty new to metallic reloading, actually have been getting most of my information from you guys and been slowly aquiring the things you all think I will need. I have yet to reload a shell but but i'm getting down to needing only the consumables. Anyway, I digress... I bought a set of Lyman carbide dies on sale to reload my .40 S&W. I was looking through the paperwork for the dies and found on Lyman's site that they make a Multi-Expand charge die that allows you to expand and charge in the same lever drop. Sounds like a good concept. I can't help but wonder how the integrity of a hollow expander will hold up. I havn't seen them discussed on the firing line. Wanted to know if anyone had experience with them....or thought they would be worth the additional investment since I already have an expander. I have the RCBS RC single press. This would give my single stage press one progressive station.