The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 20, 2009, 10:18 PM   #1
Buck88

Opinions on Winchester Magnum Rifle Primers

My buddy went to the gun show the other day and I told him I needed some large rifle magnum primers. I told him not to get anything accept CCI or Federal, and he brought me Winchester. I was very appreciative for him getting them for me, however, I haven't heard much about Winchester primers. I now have 1000 of them. Should I sell or trade them on gun broker for some CCI or Federal, or am I being OCD about my primer selection? How's the accuracy with them?
Old July 20, 2009, 10:51 PM   #2
Savage99

The WLRM's and WLR's that I have are not plated. They are smaller in diameter than other brands that I have and fit looser in primer pockets.

I would never buy them again. However what with the primer shortage they are better than nothing to someone who has no other.
Old July 20, 2009, 11:06 PM   #3
Jim243

Hocky pucks, I've used Winchester primers over the last 5 years in LR SR SP LP in over 10,000 rounds and have never had any problems. Anyone who says otherwise is using non-speck brass or over swags their primer holes.

They are in short supply because everyone want's them.
Old July 20, 2009, 11:41 PM   #4
hoghunting

I've used Winchester primers for over 25 years and I agree with Jim243, as I have had very good results with them. I have never had a problem with loose primers, except on cases that have been reloaded too many times.
Old July 21, 2009, 07:59 AM   #5
KAB55

Been using Winchester LR, SP, LP for years (along with CCI's) and have never had a problem with either. The olny primer that I've had problems seating in some cases were the Federal SP's, some of them crush a little on seating in certain cases, still go bang though.
Old July 21, 2009, 01:15 PM   #6
VaFisher

Use them you will not be sorry.
Old July 21, 2009, 03:31 PM   #7
UniversalFrost

the winchesters are useless.

send them to me and I will dispose of them for you. Heck I'll even pay the postage

I use winchesters the same as the CCI or Federals.

In fact all i have for large rifle magnum right now is the Winchesters because that is what cabelas sent me of my back orders.

they still work the same in my loads as the other brands.

as for cup size. i have personally found that CCI run on the large side and winchester on the small side of the sammi specs. if you have primer pockets that are on the large side a little roughing up with a nail file will help to hold the smaller primers in or just use some of the sealant/waterproofer (the stuff that comes in little bottles like nail polish) on them.

JOE

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green