The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old July 19, 2009, 10:55 PM   #26
yrralguthrie

Bullets

I don't mind going back and forth on any issue, but except for Illinois Coyote Hunter who is way out of line for his erroneous comments on what I am concerned about I never made any of my comments personal. I never said anything derogatory about an individual but I'll make an exception for him/her.

And to those of you that cannot accept someones opinion besides your own and called me names. You need help, especially ICH.

That's pretty clear isn't it. That should close down this topic. It does for me.

Really tiring and boring when a person can't state an opinion without someone calling him personally ignorant.

And some of you just don't get the point. It does matter what the rest of the population thinks about us. Some do and their language tends to be less personal and more on topic.
Old July 19, 2009, 10:56 PM   #27
Sport45

Quote:
possom no, it's possUm.
I thought it was opossum.

Of course where I grew up the O was silent. Never did figger out why the P was pronounced when we caught P-newmonia.
Old July 19, 2009, 11:02 PM   #28
HuntAndFish

LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson
In general use I consider "boolit" to be cutesy fake jargon and saying it means hand cast instead of commercial does not convince.
I agree, but you can't go by my thoughts on this because I still think "Dude" means "a ignorant person" and take it as an insult.

Last edited by HuntAndFish; July 19, 2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old July 19, 2009, 11:19 PM   #29
Unclenick
Staff

Heh, heh. No boo-boos for your revos, Jim?

I suppose there is a more serious side that applies to all word substitutions and misspellings, and that is ease and clarity of reading are reduced by them because the mind hesitates while it interprets what they mean? Same with misuse of punctuation and capitalization of text.

You've probably seen the Internet circulation credited to a British University professor showing you can read jumbled words pretty fluently as long as the first and last letters remain in their correct positions? It doesn't work for misspellings. Language works as a form of communication because the words are agreed upon. As soon as you go off-standard, whether written or spoken, the communication is less fluent and less clear. It's the same as having to work harder to understand someone speaking with an accent.

I'm not mentioning any of this because I have any intention of being a spelling Nazi (I make enough typos myself to be a contributor to the problem). Please write any way you choose or want to or can. I'm just pointing out that standardized writing and speaking communicate faster and more effectively than the alternatives. When you take the time to run the the spell checker in the upper right corner of the composition window, it can actually help you get your point across.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 19, 2009, 11:27 PM   #30
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

All of this over the proper spelling and/or pronunciation of an obvious slang term?

[shakes head]

Closed for some very (to me) obvious reasons. One of which is the very tenuous connection to handloading.
Closed Thread