The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 20, 2008, 07:38 PM   #1
crghss

Scope for a .22 Hornet?

Well guys need some suggestions. I need a scope for a Winchester 43 .22 Hornet "24. It has a 2x7 20mm Tasco 30+ years. Which obviously needs to be replaced. I'm looking at a Bushnell .17 Super Banner 3-10 x 36 Scope BDC. Since the Win. 43 is a small rifle would I be better with a 32mm or 36mm as opposed to a 40mm (I know "Get a new Stock"). What do I need to look at when picking the scope, keeping cost under/near $200.

Also since the .22 hornet is a low velocity/pressure cartridge do I still need to free float the barrel, glass bedding and the such? Also I wouldn't need a rugged scope since no recoil or woods humping, just good optics, right?

I've been reading where guys are hitting at 200 yds (targets) so I want to pursue this. Wouldn't have tried past 100 yds till I read about guys doing it out here. Haven't been shooting in years and am looking to get back into it. Figured this is a good place to start. This Gun has been collecting dust since I got it. Time to put her to use.

Oh yeah, anyone want to buy a 30 year old scope?
Old October 20, 2008, 07:54 PM   #2
publius

I would look at Bushnell. Go to SWFA.com. Those guys are the optics experts.
Old October 20, 2008, 09:36 PM   #3
bobn

on my dads old hornet i upgraded the original 4x weaver to a scopechief 2.5 to 8 power. eye relief allowed by the side mount dictated the scope choice. the trigger and the sloppy chamber doesnt really allow for much more range than a 22mag. however it was what my dad managed to afford so it is now MY favorite! fwiw bobn.

Tags
.22 hornet , scopes