The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 4, 2005, 01:23 PM   #1
tacmedic

training facilities

What is the best tactical training facility you have attended and what made it better than the rest. What is most important to you in a training facility. Also, what kind of courses do you look for.

Last edited by tacmedic; January 4, 2005 at 01:29 PM. Reason: addition
Old January 10, 2005, 09:48 PM   #2
tacmedic

Anyone?
Old January 10, 2005, 10:38 PM   #3
U.F.O.

Availability, i.e. close proximity, is an asset.

I'm lucky to live 10 miles away from one of the best training facilities in the U.S., Rangemaster. Tom Givens runs the joint and is nationally known for quality of program and instruction. Their basic handgun program is called Level 1 and this course is enough in Tn. to get a CCW permit. I've completed Level 2, Tactical Handgun, and take Level 3 next month. Superb teacher. What's important to me? Number 1 to me is safety. If I can't handle a firearm safely enough to not shoot myself or others accidently how can I properly defend anyone, myself included. Everything else that follows in the core instruction, tactical awareness, marksmanship, legal issues, drawing and firing from concealed.....everything is important and taught there. I view the entire series of programs as training to become a responsible, conscientious, law abiding defensive gunfighter. I would expect the same from any good training facility. You'll get some other suggestions as this thread expands, like Gunsite and others. Find one close and convenient to you and jump right in.....the water's fine!

U.F.O.
The low spark of high-heeled boys"
~Traffic - Stevie Winwood~
Old January 15, 2005, 05:37 PM   #4
Para Bellum

free air and/or good ventilation

Lead kills, even if inhaled etc.

I recently spent a lot of time with very experienced police trainers, IPSC-Champions etc. They all told me about personal experiences with lead-poisoning. One denied all but was of such short breath all the time that he almost has a speech-impairment for it!

Today I was at an indoor-range again and my lungs felt sore after that (hypochondriac?). Then I found this article on the www:
http://www.utexas.edu/safety/ehs/msds/lead.html

The author recommends a respirator-mask, a jumpsuit etc in indoor-ranges and compares not using that to not using ear-protection. He may be right.
Old January 15, 2005, 08:30 PM   #5
Revoman

There are great facilities out there, such as Gunsite, Thunder Ranch to name a few; the facility I train at is ITTS in Los Angeles. It's run by Scott Reitz and Brett McQueen. Scott is a sworn LAPD Officer, former LAPD Swat, and is the currently the Chief Firearms Instructor for the elite LAPD Metropolitan Division.

I can tell you this: Scott is a gunfighter and tactician. He has been in gunfights and has successfully adjudicated gunfights. Not to mention, he is an outstanding instructor who can take complex subjects and break them down and simplify them.

He also is an expert witness in use of force and has testified succesfully in state and federal court.

He teaches civilians how to avoid danger, and how to negotiate and successfully win a gunfight if you have no other choice but to engage to save your own life, your family, or others. He then teaches you how to deal wit the legal issues in the aftermath of a shooting, i.e., court and testimony.

Oh, his facility is an outdoor range with all the shoot no shoot targets, and movers you would ever need.

He teaches basic to advanced course in pistol, shotgun, rifle, and subgun.

He also has guest instructors, such as Louie Awerbuck, Bill Jeans, etc.

His courses are inexpensive..

The website is www.internationaltactical.com

Check it out. You won't be sorry!
Old January 17, 2005, 04:00 PM   #6
rn22723

Well, I have an outstanding instructor in my area. Greg "Sully" Sullivan of Defensive Edge is based here in Minneapolis area. He offers a host of subject matter. His assistants are just as good! Defensive Edge