The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 6, 2012, 02:00 PM   #1
abber

Mossberg value?

This may be the wrong forum, but here goes. I am trying to help my friend's widow sell his firearms. I was wondering if you guys could give me some good advice about getting gun values. The one I really can't even find out anything on, is a Mossberg 500, 20ga, 28", modified choke, wood stock and foreend. It is probably 95%. Nice little scattergun. How would I go about placing a fair value on this gun (and others)? All help is greatly appreciated.
Old October 6, 2012, 03:01 PM   #2
the rifleer

Its a very common gun, its mass produced and easy to get. Its worth whatever someone is willing to pay, which is about $250 on the high end. Its like a ford ranger in the car world.
Old October 7, 2012, 07:06 AM   #3
Pistolgripshotty

I would say between $200-$250 is pretty fair...but I am assuming the gun is clean and taken care of.
Old October 7, 2012, 07:21 AM   #4
Slugo

PGShotty is spot on, $200-250 tops...
Old October 7, 2012, 09:14 AM   #5
abber

Thank you, guys. Yes, it is in very good condition, so I will ask $250, and go from there.
Old October 7, 2012, 11:00 AM   #6
BigJimP

Go to a good local gun retailer ...one hopefully that deals in a lot of used guns....you should take a list of your buddies guns with you ...and you will hopefully get an idea of what the retail value is on similar guns.

Condition is everything ....and how versatile they are ( like, if they have changeable screw in chokes), barrel length, length of chamber on the barrel, etc ....so know the specs on the guns he has ...( don't make assumptions ) ....not all Brownings are the same ( not even all the Citori's because they make at least 28 model of them now ), not all Remingtons are the same, nor Benelli's, or Mossberg, etc....