The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 21, 2011, 11:35 AM   #1
baddarryl

Matches in NC?

Anyone have a site or list of matches in NC? Never been to one, would like to get involved and don't know where to start. IDPA or Steel Shot something like that. Thanks all.
Old July 21, 2011, 01:16 PM   #2
MrBorland

Where in NC are you?

There's a bunch in the Triangle area. Off the top of my head:

IDPA @ The Range, Oxford

IDPA, Rimfire Steel, ICORE, PCCA @ Caswell Ranch

IDPA @ Durham Wildlife

indoor IDPA @ Personal Defense

IDPA @ Drake's Landing

USPSA @ Sir Walter Raleigh

USPSA @ Pitt County

Finally, a local shooter started a Zombie Shooting Association, and the matches are becoming very popular. More "run whatcha brung" than USPSA and/or IDPA.

Of these, the Tuesday evening IDPA matches at the Durham Wildlife Club are particularly good for those just starting out, though I can recommend any of the others, too. The Zombie matches are getting a lot of people into IDPA & USPSA, so they'd be a good thing to check out, too.
Old July 21, 2011, 04:01 PM   #3
baddarryl

Thank you. I am in Wilmington. Anywhere within 2 hours I guess (which Raleigh is). Thanks again.
Old July 21, 2011, 04:07 PM   #4
MGMorden

Ant Hill Range:
http://www.anthillrange.com/

It's right outside of Wilmington and they host USPSA, IDPA, Steel Challenge, and 3-gun.
Old July 31, 2011, 08:25 PM   #5
RW0369

Ranges in Eastern NC

I've been shooting at Flatwoods in Hubert(not really my top choice) or B and R which is near Havelock between deployments since 2005. There's another range out by havelock I haven't been to, but the website says they have a 500yd range. I'm probably going to head out there next saturday to check it out. I mostly stick to rifles, but there's also Sportsman's Lodge in Jacksonville, it's about on par with Shooter's Choice in Wilmington.
Old July 31, 2011, 10:03 PM   #6
baddarryl

RW what is the name of that other range near Havelock? I live one minute from Shooters Choice and don't get there that often because the parking lot is always full. They will limit range time to 30 minutes and still charge full rate if they get busy too. That stinks. I need some where to shoot a rifle too as they only let rifles with handgun loads in there.
Old August 1, 2011, 04:45 PM   #7
RW0369

It's called sure shot gun sports. I've never been there though. B & R is a good range to go to, also if you're a Marine and it's not busy they pretty much let you run your own range. Unless you act like a LCpl off the ship for the first time.