The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 4, 2008, 11:12 PM   #126
dwc1973

thank you Smitty for your response....

Quote:
The only problem is that it's butt ugly..... I also found out that if I put this stock on my SPX, it becomes a Destructive Device according to CT laws...
have to agree with you on the ugly but it does look mean though....and sorry to hear about CT regs. i just have to be patient, i suppose (not something i practice enough of!).

thanks again.
Old January 20, 2008, 01:30 PM   #127
Desert01

Here is a excert from a bad review of the 930

Quote:
From John Farnam:

19 Nov 07

Mossberg M930, Autoloading Shotgun:

During an Urban Rifle/Shotgun Course in OH last weekend, a student brought a brand-new copy of Mossberg's M930 Shotgun. It is the first one I've had a chance to actually use and observe on a range.

Bottom line: The 930 is unusable for our purposes.

Problems became apparent immediately as the student attempted to manipulate the gun. Once loaded, the entire magazine tube must be completely voided and then subsequently recharged all over again, in order to return the shotgun to Transport Mode (magazine tube charged, hammer down on an empty chamber, manual safety "off," (Transport Mode is often referred to as "Cruiser-Ready"). In addition, when attempting the load the gun, it continually double-stacked, causing two rounds to be released from the magazine tube into the receiver, simultaneously.

After ten, frustrating minutes of attempting to come up with a viable handling procedure, we gave up and issued the student a Remington 870, which, of course, ran fine for the duration.

Some years ago, Mossberg produced another autoloading shotgun, dubbed the "Jungle Gun." Now long-since out of production, we had nothing but trouble with it too.

Mossberg is surely capable of producing functional shotguns, but this new 930 is utterly unsuitable for our purposes. Again, when making ostensible " police" shotguns, they need to talk with someone other than trap shooters!
Of course I have to look at this.

930 to Cruiser ready proceadure from a loaded chamber:
1. Place weapon on Safe, put muzzle in safe direction
2. Fully depress elovator with weak hand.
3. Pull charging handle to the rear, ejecting round in the chamber.
4. Observe bolt going forward to insure you are not chambering a round.
5. Partualy retract bolt to insure chamber is clear.
6. Release elevator.
7. Take weapon off safe and in a safe direction pull the trigger.
8. Place the weapon back on safe.

Hum, now when I try to do the same thing with my 11-87 I need more hands it seems, yet I can't remember anyone saying the 11-87 was not suitable for defensive work. Maybe it's the shortened EasyLoader Gunsite installed on my 11-87's fault.

11-87 to Cruiser ready proceadure from a loaded chamber:
1. Place weapon on Safe, put muzzle in safe direction
2. Depress elovator and easy loader half way with weak hand.
3. Pull charging handle to the rear Just enough to eject the round round in the chamber. Go to far and you will release the next round in the mag tube.

If you pull the charging handle fully to the rear with the gate 1/2 up the released shell will strike the end of the elevator. If you have the elevator all the way up the shell will eject into your fingers. You can then push it back into the mag tube and continue. With my short Easyloader the it will be stuck in the action and leave the bolt locked half way.

4. Observe bolt going forward to insure you are not chambering a round.
5. Partualy retract bolt to insure chamber is clear.
6. Release elevator.
7. Take weapon off safe and in a safe direction pull the trigger.
8. Remington's can not be placed on safe with the hammer down.

I have managed to recreate the double stacking that he refers to if I do not fully insert a round. This I need to figure out. Intial impression is that the loading opening on the 11-87 is a little longer and allows a more positve loading. With the 930 opening up the front of the port an 1/8" or so would give you more positive insertion. The thumb seems to hit the lip of the 930 and believe that you have fully seated the round. You release it and have a shell on the elevator.

Bottom line know your gear before you use it.

Last edited by Desert01; January 20, 2008 at 02:54 PM.
Old January 20, 2008, 06:53 PM   #128
Smitty in CT

I saw John Farnam's reveiw when it first came out and dismissed it as "Mossberg bashing"... Mr. Farnam and the trainee were obviously not familiar with the 930 because if they were, they would have known that the procedure to get a 930 "cruiser ready" is identical to the 870, "which, of course, ran fine for the duration."

In the same article, he goes on to bash the 9200 "Jungle Gun" which by most accounts is a very reliable autoloader...

Maybe he doesn't get treated to dinner and such by Mossberg like he probably does from "Big Green"...

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old January 21, 2008, 10:14 PM   #129
Smitty in CT

Desert01,

My brother-in-law says that even though it's been a "done deal" for a while, it is now "official", the NYPD has chosen the Mossberg 590A1 (14" version). I haven't found anything on Mossberg's website or NYPD's sites yet though...

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old January 22, 2008, 06:28 AM   #130
Desert01

Will be good to hear when it/if it comes through.

If I remember correctly the 9200 also passed the shotgun trials in the 70's with the 500/590.
Old January 22, 2008, 08:15 AM   #131
Super Dave

No respect

I Believe this the gun Cathy is holding on the cover of Dillions Feb.08 The Blue Press magazine.
Showed the wife the picture and told her “ I need this!” she just laughed and walked away.
I said “ no, not the woman, the GUN!”. She laughed even louder.
Dave.
Old January 22, 2008, 08:26 AM   #132
Desert01

You are correct: Dillon Cover
Old January 22, 2008, 08:46 AM   #133
Smitty in CT

Sweet Cover !!! I WANT one!!

And since I already have the gun.....

Old January 26, 2008, 12:42 PM   #134
m24shooter

930 SPX? Meh.

Farnam is going to have a cow over that cover.
Old February 2, 2008, 11:44 PM   #135
Desert01

Quote:
My brother-in-law says that even though it's been a "done deal" for a while, it is now "official", the NYPD has chosen the Mossberg 590A1 (14" version). I haven't found anything on Mossberg's website or NYPD's sites yet though...
Roger, that press release is out here at SHOT SHOW. 14" 590A1 with ghost ring sights, the looped forarms and Speedfeed stock 13 7/8th stock.

FYI, I stopped buy Choate and saw their new charging handle and the pistol grip stocks. Things are looking up. Also, seems alot of you have bought the +1 extensions. I spoke to Mesa about the barrel clamp with rail. Not sure if it fits, I'm going to try to take them over tomorrow and see if we can get a match.
Old February 3, 2008, 10:48 AM   #136
Smitty in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert01
... 14" 590A1 with ghost ring sights, the looped forarms and Speedfeed stock 13 7/8th stock...
Stop by the booth again and check out the NYPD sights... They aren't Ghost Rings... something new ... more like the sights on a pistol. They looked like the Novak sights on a 1911....

Old February 3, 2008, 07:33 PM   #137
Desert01

Hummm interesting. The press release shows the standard Mossberg Ghost rings. I had heard they were doing something differant, but no specifics. Sadly none of those type sights are on display at the booth.

Gives me a project for the week though.
Old March 21, 2008, 09:39 PM   #138
infidel in Maine

Assesories for my 930 SPX

Where are the choat buttstocks and Front sling Adaptors found? I have been to their website and have not been able to locate anything listed for the 930. Any help will be great... Thanks
Old March 21, 2008, 09:54 PM   #139
Smitty in CT

GG&G and a few others are making the sling mounts, just google "590 forward sling mount", they're interchangable...

As far as the Choate stocks, the last I've heard from Fred @ Choate was that they will be ready "sometime in April".... don't know if that means the 1st or the 30th....

Smitty

Old May 19, 2008, 06:37 PM   #140
Smitty in CT

In the spirit on not letting a thread die....

Choate Machine & Tool now has the full length pistol grip stocks available!!

http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_pa...t=0&recordno=1

Old May 20, 2008, 08:51 AM   #141
Daedalus

Question about those with the 930SPX and Mossberg's 26" Field barrel. With the field barrel mounted and the rear LPA sight removed, does the rail on the receiver block out some of your sight picture?

Thanks!