The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 12, 2011, 01:33 AM   #1
LAlineman

30-06 Bullet transferred to 308 cartridge ?

A friend of mine gave me quite a few bullets he pulled from 30-06 cartridges. I would like to load them in some 308 cartridges I have. I realize both are .308dia. I did a few test loads,and when they are seated properly to the candelure, they sit a bit below the start of the shoulder. Meaning, they seem to be a bit long . Does this expose the base and side of the bullet to expanding gases ? Or is this still exceptable ? When loaded with 33gr. Varget there is still a small gap between bullet and powder, which I like. Will they work ?
Old February 12, 2011, 01:38 AM   #2
dawico

As long as you are finding load data for their weight, they are fine. The 30.06 will handle heavier bullets than the 308 just because of case volume, but other than that, go for it.
Old February 12, 2011, 01:46 AM   #3
Doodlebugger45

Ignore the cannelure when seating rifle bullets. Seat them to whatever works the best. Pay attention to the COAL length given in the manuals, work from there to get the best accuracy and or feeding from your magazine. Some folks shoot some mighty heavy bullets from .308 and those things are really long. It won't hurt anything just because the bullet is sitting down past the shoulder. And it won't hurt if it is sitting very slightly above the shoulder.
Old February 12, 2011, 01:54 AM   #4
LAlineman

Yes, I have found a load in Hornady,s. So, the depth is OK ?
And thanks for the help, much appreciated !