The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 7, 2000, 07:40 PM   #1
115+P

First I'd like to say I got turned on to TFL through Glock Talk. (great place to be)I have been reading abit here and this board seems to fill a gap that I was looking for.GT is a great forum and my username is the same as it is here.
My ? is I have been wanting to start shooting IPSC and I am kind of hung up on buying a para-ord or glock tach.
Note I have owned both Glock and 1911 type pistols ,and shoot IDPA with my Glock. I have shot ISPC with a single stack 1911 years ago and did well ,but have not kept up with the new toys.
PS I don't type well and my spelling, well lets say ,is not the best.
Old January 7, 2000, 08:04 PM   #2
DCB

Do not try to keep up with the latest toys...unless you have lots of money.
I started with a stock 1911....then G21...then Para 16/40....then back to the single stack. It is more fun and if I do my part(reload), I can shoot very competitively. The 45 kicks less(IMHO) and cost less to maintain. Glocks are good to use, it just depends on what you shoot better. My single stack just keeps on going.
(:^)

------------------
DCB <><
Old January 7, 2000, 08:55 PM   #3
Ned Roundtree

I've noticed at our IPSC matches a lot of INFINITY, PARA-ORDNANCE,CUSTOM BUILT GUNs, GLOCKS,various 1911s,few Berettas, in that order.

------------------
Courage is only fear that has said its prayers.

Old January 7, 2000, 10:05 PM   #4
Mikey

If you're an average shooter and just want to have fun and get some quality trigger time, any of your current guns will do just fine in Limited Class.

If you want to play with the big boys you'll need to upgrade. Limited gun of the moment is an STI of SV in 40 S&W. Unlimited would be STI or SV, compensated, optically sighted (C-More, Holosight etc) in 38 Super (some are trying the 9x23 but it hasn't caught on just yet).

Lots of IPSC members are selling Para Limiteds at some good prices - they are buying STI's and SV's.

I built an STI in 40 S&W for a combination IDPA/IPSC gun and couldn't be happier. I still like the single stacks but the fat gun is tops!

Mikey
Old January 10, 2000, 10:06 AM   #5
DblTap

We try and keep our stage designs "1911 neutral". That is to say, you would fire a maximum of eight rounds and then do something like a few step movement to the next shooting position or a mandatory reload in the same box.

Yes, our club does have high round count stages (24, 28 even up to 32) but it sure is a lot of fun! We also have a few "stand and blast" stages of only eight rounds thrown in to balance out the match.

In direct answer to your question, bring anything that you want and have fun!

The post from Mikey shown above is the current hot ticket, STI or SV gun in .40 seems to be the ticket in Limited.

DblTap

------------------
"...What will you do without freedom? Will you fight?... Fight, and you may die, run and you'll live, at least a while. And dying, many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that, for just one chance, one chance, to tell our enemies, that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!!!"

Old January 11, 2000, 01:06 AM   #6
Rob Pincus

In my humble Opinion the best gun for ANY competition is one that you will carry to defend your life with. IPSC and IDPA both offer great opportunities to practice relatively practical scenarios with your carry weapon.. and the stress of competition can be an added training bonus.

Of course, IDPA does more to encourage this type of thinking, but that is a whole 'nuther ball of wax.

I suggest you take out your Glock 23 (or whatever) a few mags and a decent carry holster. You may not be as fancy as the guys with $2500 STI's and plastic "shelf" holsters, but you may develop skills that will save your life.
Old January 11, 2000, 01:42 PM   #7
Ned Roundtree

Very true Rob. But at least the shooter that goes out and practices a while or shoots some kind of competition gets more practice than the guy that just keeps the gun in the nightstand drawer.
Old January 11, 2000, 01:55 PM   #8
Rob Pincus

I agree with that, Ned. Better to go and shoot *anything* than just own a gun and think it will do all the work automaticallywhen you need it.

------------------
-Essayons

Old January 12, 2000, 09:12 PM   #9
Tony N
Staff Alumnus

Mikey,
About how much could one expect to pay for a set up like that fancy Roscoe?
Old January 12, 2000, 11:38 PM   #10
NAD

The gun of choice for IPSC shooting is a SVI or STI hicap in 40 caliber for Limited and the same gun in 38 stupid for Open division. The next choice is Para Ordnance and Caspian followed by Glocks. Sigs, H&K's, Rugers etc. don't hang around too long because they start falling apart after several matches. High capacity still rules in the sport. However, single stack 1911's with a few 10 round mags can still be very competitive.
Old January 12, 2000, 11:48 PM   #11
Mikey

Tony N,

I bought the frame kit from a USPSA shooter at a bargain, got the rest thru Brownell's. The Frame kit, slide, hammer and sear are STI. The rest is Wilson, Nowlin, MMC etc.

Total cost for parts was around $900, not including magazines. The hard chrome job was about $150. Did about half the work myself and had a club member/gunsmith do the rest. I didn't have to pay for the labor but I had some shirts made with his logo for advertising at matches.

I guess you could get it finished for about $1100 if you don't have to pay for the labor. I like to build them, even though it really doesn't save much money, but I actually HAD to build this one because STI doesn't make an IDPA legal gun. They use bull barrels and IDPA requires a standard profile barrel - hence the bushing (which doesn't appear on a standard STI).

Mikey

[This message has been edited by Mikey (edited January 12, 2000).]
Old February 1, 2000, 09:16 PM   #12
Covert Mission

Interesting. I am getting ready to sell my Glock .40 hi-caps (to buy more 9mm/.45 ones), and the only reason I haven't is that they might be handy for IPSC (with a G35).

I was also thinking of just shooting my 1911 single stack for IPSC and not worring about being totally competitive...just having fun (right now, I only shoot IDPA). Or, a Glock 34 (if you shoot accurately, is "minor" a big handicap?).

As far as putting together a sweet .40 double stack 1911, i'd love to. But where/how do you get enough mags if you have none now? I imagine they are pricey. Thanks
Old February 1, 2000, 10:27 PM   #13
NAD

Covert Mission - For hi-cap mags go to the classified section at the www.uspsa.org web page. Ocasionally you will find people selling them or sometimes people getting out of the sport and selling all their stuff.

You can be very competitive with a single stack 45 in IPSC, but you will need a few 10 round mags. As long as there is movement between shooting positions it isn't a problem. You just have to load EVERY time you move. In fact this is a great way to start IPSC because you will get good at reloads. If a course of fire isn't 8 round neutral complain to the match director.

Shooting minor is only a handicap if you don't shoot A's. But, generally this is not realistic, and yes, it is a handicap.
Old February 2, 2000, 02:16 PM   #14
Covert Mission

Thanks for the advice! I still want to sell my G22 hi-caps, to raise money for a custom single stack. Call me crazy! I'll try my 1911 for IPSC for now, because i can shoot the same gun for IDPA, without breaking the bank. thanks again.
Old February 3, 2000, 12:41 PM   #15
SVSUPER

I am a ipsc shooter and i have seen many people come out and be competitive with there glock 35 or 22L. If you have hycap mags then you are all set. if you really want to compete get somne base pads that boost your capacity to 20 rounds and you are right in there with everybody else. j DVC
Old February 4, 2000, 12:46 AM   #16
actionshooter

Just shoot whatever you are comfortable with.
Its simple,just shoot what you shoot the best with.Where I shoot there is a Master that shoots a glock and a couple of guys right up there that shoot single stacks. Its mostly the shooter not the gun.