The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 25, 2018, 09:18 AM   #1
Rockrivr1

Revolver Hunters: Scope or Red Dot

I'll be buying a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag w/ a 7.5" bbl from a friend who's selling his for a good price. I'm going to set it up as a hunter, but while doing some research I'm seeing a number of hunters moving to red dots instead of scopes.

So what is your choice and why? Also, if you run a scope, are you using just a crosshair recticle or something else? I'll just be hunting paper at first but once I get a feel for it I'll be hunting deer and someday I'd like to do a hog hunt.

Thanks
Old February 25, 2018, 10:23 AM   #2
turkeestalker

I've had a standard Redhawk with a 2x Nikon (standard crosshair reticle), on top of it for 30+ years who's primary use has been hunting.
I don't own any handguns that I've used a red dot scope on, but have a couple on rifles.

I could see the possible benefit of a red dot over traditional crosshair when it comes to target acquisition in a hurry, and most hunting opportunities lean to the 'hurried' side.

Beyond that I love mine set up with a traditional scope as I've pulled off some impressive groups at 100yds that would not have been possible with a red dot, in my opinion.
Not saying that I would ever attempt to take game at that distance with a 44 revolver, but it wreaks havoc on paper!
Old February 25, 2018, 10:41 AM   #3
David R

I vote for a scope. Used a 6X on my Super Red Hawk 44 for years. I shot silhouette with it. No doubt I could hit better with the scope.

It takes some getting used to. Its not for everyone on a handgun.

I shot one deer with the scope. No problem at 35 yards. That is when I realized its plenty of gun for deer.

I have since moved the scope to my TC contender ni 32-20 for silhouette. Now the SRH has Irons. I don't hunt deer anymore.
David
Old February 25, 2018, 11:10 AM   #4
Jayhawkhuntclub

Just hunting deer, a red dot is fine. If you also like to shoot tight groups a 50+ yards, it's a lot easier to do with a scope IMHO. I struggle to shoot much under 1.75" groups with a red dot at 50 yards. I can shoot sub 1.25" groups with a good scoped pistol at that range (from sandbags - obviously). To me that's a big difference. I prefer a 2-7 power scope.
Old February 25, 2018, 11:40 AM   #5
NoSecondBest

I gave up scopes on handguns many years ago when red dots became available. The problem with scopes is simply target acquisition. If you're not looking through the center of the scope it "blacks out". Cross hairs are difficult to see in dim light also. It's a fallacy that you can't shoot tight groups with a red dot. I've put the same red dots I've owned on rifles and have shot five shot groups at 114yds under 1.7" avg on a regular basis (Win 1886 45-70). To date I've shot over fifty deer with .357mag handguns and another dozen or so with .44mag, 30-30 (TC Contender), and another few odd ball calibers. My personal opinion is that a red dot is vastly superior to a scope in any handgun that will be shot off hand. A single shot handgun will work with a scope reasonably well, but even there it's not any better in 99.9% of the cases where a shot is taken. However, everyone has to learn for themselves. I'm just sharing fifty years of handgun shooting advice, and I've spent a lot of time shooting handguns. Get whatever floats your boat.
Old February 25, 2018, 11:52 AM   #6
Rockrivr1

I was just reading an article on the UltraDot Match II red dot. Seems to have the best of both worlds with a 2,4,6 & 8 MOA dot as well as two crosshair dots. Also has an on the fly BDC integrated in the scope. Going to check it out a little more.
Old February 25, 2018, 12:01 PM   #7
Damon555

Quote:
I gave up scopes on handguns many years ago when red dots became available. The problem with scopes is simply target acquisition. If you're not looking through the center of the scope it "blacks out". Cross hairs are difficult to see in dim light also. It's a fallacy that you can't shoot tight groups with a red dot. I've put the same red dots I've owned on rifles and have shot five shot groups at 114yds under 1.7" avg on a regular basis (Win 1886 45-70). To date I've shot over fifty deer with .357mag handguns and another dozen or so with .44mag, 30-30 (TC Contender), and another few odd ball calibers. My personal opinion is that a red dot is vastly superior to a scope in any handgun that will be shot off hand. A single shot handgun will work with a scope reasonably well, but even there it's not any better in 99.9% of the cases where a shot is taken. However, everyone has to learn for themselves. I'm just sharing fifty years of handgun shooting advice, and I've spent a lot of time shooting handguns. Get whatever floats your boat.
I'm with NSB on this one. I've hunted with both a regular pistol scope and a red dot mounted to my handguns. There were several missed shot opportunities because the action was pretty fast and trying to get a good sight picture in a hurry with a conventional scope is darn near impossible.

I mounted a red dot on a SBH some years ago and made my most spectacular shot on a deer running flat out at about 40 yards....He presented himself perfectly broadside and I was able to really concentrate on the shot and my follow through....not trying to get the cross hairs on him. There's no doubt that luck was a major factor in that shot but I wouldn't have had a chance with anything other than open sights or the red dot.

Hog hunting will probably be mayhem.....so if you're dead set on an optical sight of some sort then the red dot is certainly the way to go IMO.
Old February 25, 2018, 02:58 PM   #8
Pahoo

On this .44, I'd go with a RedDot.

Given the listed use, I'm going with RedDots. That is not to say that a scope is out of the question. I use both and the scopes that I do use, have illuminated reticles. Target acquisition and open field of view is a real advantage for RedDots. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 25, 2018, 05:26 PM   #9
Wyosmith

"None of the above"
Old February 25, 2018, 05:45 PM   #10
Rockrivr1

Quote:
"None of the above"
Wow, so helpful....... :-\
Old February 25, 2018, 06:15 PM   #11
rob-c

I like red dots, farthest I have shot a deer was 60 yards but I routinely practice to 100 yards with it. I tried a 4 power scope and I didn’t like how much it magnified my movement. So it’s red dots for me..
Old February 25, 2018, 06:34 PM   #12
Capt Rick Hiott

NoSecondBest,,,,What Red Dot do you recommend?
Old February 25, 2018, 10:04 PM   #13
sgms

I have scopes on my thompson contender barrels but for optics on wheel and semi's I use red dots. The T.C.'s are longer barrels in rifle calibers(.223, .30-30, etc.) and I tend to use them at longer ranges as well as shooting them from some form of rest. The revolvers and simi's I usually use at much shorter ranges and I find the red dot with both eyes open more comfortable. This is what works for me you'll have to find what your most comfortable with.
Old February 26, 2018, 09:41 AM   #14
NoSecondBest

Quote:
NoSecondBest,,,,What Red Dot do you recommend?
For hunting and target shooting I'd recommend the UltraDots. Lifetime guarantee, great features of dot size, brightness, etc., and easy to find the dot. I've put them on some really hard kickers and never had one fail. For plate shooting (which most people don't do) I use the Burris FastFire2 and 3 and I just got a Vortex Venom which is also a small reflex dot. These are a bit harder to find the dot with until you use them a while. There are other equally good dots, but most of them are double the price and really don''t do much for the "average joe". I can afford whatever I want at this stage of my life, but I simply can't find any shortcomings to the ones I've recommended. The really cheap dots........you just get what you pay for. In the long run you're way better of spending a bit more and getting something that's quality and will last you as long as you want it.
Note: red dots can have parallax. Sometimes a lot of it. If you know how to check, it's pretty easy to see if it does or not before buying. Using any handgun with a red dot with parallax really adds to the error. On a rifle it's less noticeable due to a good cheek weld. Not so on a handgun. The saving grace for most handgunners......it gets hidden in their groups along with a lot of other variables. Check the sight before you buy it.
Old February 26, 2018, 11:03 AM   #15
Viper225

Scopes on Contenders, Red Dots on Revolvers or short range Contenders.
Most will not engage beyond 100 yards with a Revolver. A Red Dot works fine at that distance.

Get a 30mm Tube. You can see more through it than a 1".
Get an UltraDot. Made in Japan and they have a GOOD make that GREAT reputation for not failing.

The 30mm UltraDot has only a 4 MOA Dot Size. OK most of the time except low light. In low light the 4 MOA will Bloom a little. You can live with it however.

The 30mm MatchDot II as mentioned above has several Dot Sizes. The only 2 of any importance are the 4 MOA and 2 MOA. The 2 MOA does not Bloom as much in low light. Handy the last 10 minutes in the woods of an evening.

Practice on White Circles like paper desert plates. You can center the Red Dot in the center of the White much easier. Way better plan for getting a zero on the sight.

Change the battery every deer season. It will probably not need changed if you have not left it on. It will make you feel better.

Heather at ultradotwest.com will fix you up. Between my brother and I we have bought 6 or 7 from her So Far.

I have a 30mm UltraDot mounted on my 480 Super RedHawk.
I have two 30mm MatchDot II sights on Single Shots in 357 Maximum.
I have the 30mm 6 Series on my 22 RF AR15
I also have a 1" UltraDot on my 50 cal Muzzleloading Pistol. It came on a pistol I bought.

Bob R

Last edited by Viper225; February 26, 2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old February 26, 2018, 11:25 AM   #16
Pahoo

Another answer to a question, that wasn't asked

Quote:
"None of the above"

Rockrivr1

Perhaps If you would have said;
"If" you were going to put optics on a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag hunter, what would you recommend?? But that's not what you asked ....

Viper has posted a good reply and as it turns out, I do prefer scopes, on Contenders. ......

Be Safe !!!
Old February 26, 2018, 11:39 AM   #17
AzShooter

I switched over to red dot sights over 30 years ago. I saw the writing on the wall early and never went back. I started with the original Aimpoint. It had the smallest objective but the dot was clear. I could see the target very well and then I could find the dot and shoot the center of my target as needed.

Today I use C-More Red Dot sights on all of my guns. For precision work and hunting I use a 3 minute dot. For Steel Challenge matches I use a 12 minute dot. They work equally well on my autos and revolvers.
Old February 26, 2018, 12:39 PM   #18
Rothdel

Between the two Red dot although I currently only use Irons. I don't have anything against scopes just don't use revolvers at long range so as of today (knock on wood) irons are just fine.
Old February 26, 2018, 08:10 PM   #19
black mamba

UltraDot 30s for me. I have two of them, and the reasons I like them better than scopes are 1) faster target acquisition, 2) lighter weight, so easier to shoot offhand, and 3) non-critical eye relief, so you get a decent field of view from any position.

Old February 27, 2018, 04:17 PM   #20
223 shooter

I've used scopes for years on various revolvers but admittedly not for hunting. If I did hunt I would probably still use a low power 1X or 2X scope. I picked up a 1X scope for 22 target pistol use but now have a second and may try it on a 357. With my not so great eyesight the 1X is crystal clear.

With a red dot I no longer see a nice round dot , but more like a coma unless I use glasses with an aperture device. Ok on the target range but not out in the field. But I can't disagree with anyone who choses a red dot for hunting.
Old February 28, 2018, 08:22 PM   #21
22-rimfire

I'd go with a red dot for shots under 100 yds with a handgun hunting deer. Much quicker target acquisition.
Old March 1, 2018, 08:47 AM   #22
Siggy-06

+1 for the Ultradot's. If I were going to put a scope instead, I'd go with a fixed power x4, but make sure it has proper eye relief.
Old March 1, 2018, 05:46 PM   #23
22-rimfire

Definitely the Ultra Dot. If you decide to go with a scope, I'd suggest a 2x Leupold extended relief handgun scope. Have one on a Super Redhawk.
Old March 5, 2018, 09:52 AM   #24
stinkeypete

I assume you may be using some “Ruger Only” hot handloads. In that case, l would use a scope to increase the mass of the gun to tame recoil and help you see in dim conditions.

I am also a huge fan of UltraDot and that’s on my Norinco TT Olympia .22

What I learned over the years is how often I shot sticks and tree branches between me and my deer. I’ve bagged half a dozen trophy sticks, sometimes with a tight group! With a scope, it’s easier to not see the tree branches.

Having used both, I now use iron sights.
Old March 5, 2018, 10:19 AM   #25
Rockrivr1

Thanks everyone for the advice. Most helpful. In the end I decided to run with a red dot. I liked the options of a dot or scope type setting on the Ultradots. Decided to run with the Ultradot Matchdot II and Weaver 301 mount. I have a bore sight for zeroing and have done so at 50 yards. Hopefully make it to the range this week to see how close I am on zero and set her up.

Thanks again!