The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 24, 2018, 08:35 PM   #1
markr6754

Cabela's Military Discount - Last Day

Just found that the 5% discount offered by Cabela's to veteran's and active duty changes on Monday 26 Feb 2018. On that date, everything related to firearms loses the discount. No reloading equipment or supplies, no ammo, no firearms, no airguns, etc.

The discount is still available tomorrow, and if your local stores are still open, then today.

I told my wife, starting Monday about the only things available under the military discount is popcorn and jerky.
Old February 24, 2018, 08:55 PM   #2
Tsquared

That sucks. We have a 7% sales tax so I have always looked at it as a tax reduction discount.

I remember a time it was the same as the employees discount. About 2 years ago they had S&B primers at $19 and I walked out with 20 boxes at just under $18 a box after taxes.
Old February 24, 2018, 09:21 PM   #3
old roper

I just looked and Cabela's and Brass Pro have same discount. I would think they post it.

http://www.cabelas.com/custserv/cust...iscountProgram
NRA Life Member
Old February 25, 2018, 11:46 AM   #4
NoSecondBest

I just got back from Cabela's about half an hour ago. They did not ask if I qualified for the discount and they have a lot of Bass Pro signs in the store offering cards, etc. Even their computers at the service desk had Bass Pro on the screen. It's changing and I think Cabela's service will be a memory only. Too bad.
Old February 25, 2018, 11:52 AM   #5
Don Fischer

Sportsmen's warehouse has a military discount all the time. You don't have to be active duty either. When I remember I simply show them my VA medical card.
Old February 25, 2018, 12:26 PM   #6
Reloadron

That's really a shame as it was a nice policy. My wife went online to customer service and asked why the change? They had no idea but did tell her she could call tomorrow and speak to a customer service representative.

I have used the 5% on guns I bought from the Gun Library section and on a few it paid off well. That was $75 on a $1500 gun which as I saw mentioned help defray the state sales tax. I expected change since Bass Pro did the acquisition but not that discount to go away. Here in Ohio my veteran status is on my driver's license.

Ron
Old February 25, 2018, 04:07 PM   #7
hdwhit

Quote:
No Second Best wrote:
...they have a lot of Bass Pro signs in the store offering cards, etc. Even their computers at the service desk had Bass Pro on the screen.
Don't forget to visit the BassPro "Mother Ship" in Springfield, Missouri.
Old February 25, 2018, 09:14 PM   #8
Reloadron

Quote:
they have a lot of Bass Pro signs in the store offering cards, etc.
We got a letter shortly after the transition began telling us our Cabela's Visa and our points would not be effected. So far, so good with that as we have a good few Cabela's Bucks stashed I wonder if we will end up with a Bass Pro Visa in our mailbox after being told that wouldn't change.

Ron
Old February 26, 2018, 02:55 PM   #9
marchboom

Wonder if they will offer the military discount on Memorial Day and Veterans Day? The military discount was a joke at only 5%. Bass Pro management will be making other changes that will change Cabela's for the worse. They are already getting rid of the long time Cabela's outfitters.
RSO
Old February 26, 2018, 03:26 PM   #10
fredvon4

I have a different take and will PO some few....

I am a third gen Veteran and am sincerely happy with my health care (for what I pay---zero)

BUT I am a bit tired with all the company's who's main Band Wagon Vet's discounts is only really to react to our current society that favors certain aspect of any certain company

Here in Local Fort Hood Texas are no end to "We Support out Troops" signage and the obligatory Denny's, House of Pancakes, yadd yadda Veterans day discounts...local news always doing some "Military Matters" or "Military In History" fluff piece

I get surveyed all the time and the theme is always something along the lines of do you prefer a company or Product that is Earth friendly or socially conscious.... advertising and company have figured out how we behave and they know ...example Lowe;s 10% military discount yields a lot of non military customers thinking...I like this brand..They care.....

Don't get me wrong I exploit the hell out of Lowe's sales and my 10% ... BUT I know this is just pure business and advertising....

I am the sort that never asked if there is a discount ....but Home Depot and Lowe's in my area always ask for my ID card... cool

BUT then I am a strange bird.. well over 55 and never have thought in ANY restaurant to ask for a senior discount.....Just me

At some point IN all purchases you have to ask... if this item is on sale this week for 25% off.... just how much is the typical markup...

I am not a frequent Academy, Bass Pro, or Caballa's shopper....but I do have one local booze store that does not advertise their 10% Military discount...My jack Daniels can be bought there cheaper than the on Base Class IX...I use the hell out of that discount...grin
Old February 27, 2018, 01:23 PM   #11
armabill

I went to Cabela's in Delaware yesterday and they still have the Veterans discount. I asked the cashier about if this was the last day of the discount. She said that she hasn't heard anything about doing away with the discount.

I'm sure that the cashiers would be the first to know about it being canceled or not.
Old February 28, 2018, 01:56 AM   #12
DaleA

Took a look at Cabelas web site:
http://www.cabelas.com/custserv/cust...iscountProgram

Under 'Exclusions' it lists guns, ammunition and reloading equipment. Unless I am reading it wrong. (Which is actually a real possibility.)
Old February 28, 2018, 06:50 AM   #13
GeorgeandSugar

I was in there a couple weeks ago and the cashier said to me the 5% applies to everything. I was buying powder at the time. I did think as some have suggested that applied to ammo, powder primers or firearms. I’ll be back later for primers and see what answer I get. Good to know Sport’s Warehouse offers military discount. I did not know that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old February 28, 2018, 07:33 AM   #14
1stmar

I have used ths military diacount at cabelas on firearms.
Old February 28, 2018, 10:05 AM   #15
ms6852

You can register online for the PX/BX?NEX using your dd 214 to order firearms. The BX I go to sells firearms as well and they can order anything their distributors carry free of charge without a down payment. If you change your mind later it is not a big deal they just put the ordered item in their inventory. Great thing is that you do not pay taxes on said firearms.

Tags
cabelas , discounts , veterans