The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 30, 2018, 11:44 PM   #51
Water-Man

You've become the Laser Man.
Old January 31, 2018, 06:17 AM   #52
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Young View Post
I've posted before about learning to shoot with a laser on my Beretta Pico. Get this. Last two trips to the range I shot better with the laser than with the sights. Seriously better. What the heck it going on here?

Simple experiment... next range trip, either take the batteries out, shut it off, or cover the laser with tape (not familiar with the Pico’s laser, but do it in a way you don’t mess with zero). See if the results hold.

If they don’t, it is being used as a crutch (sorry if you take offense to that). Completely ok if you feel comfortable with it, but batteries do die. If you need to shoot one day, and the little dot doesn’t appear, where did that laser get you?

Lasers usually cover up issues with fundamentals. Practice isn’t just about shooting better, but learning what is being done wrong... and improving.
Old January 31, 2018, 08:06 AM   #53
PSP

Quote:
I've posted before about learning to shoot with a laser on my Beretta Pico. Get this. Last two trips to the range I shot better with the laser than with the sights. Seriously better. What the heck it going on here?

Life is good.
Prof Young
Congratulations. I shoot my Pico at least quicker with the laser. A great tool for those of us with aging eyes. Just don't forget to practice the other two methods with the laser turned off; using the sights and point shooting. The three methods all compliment each other IMHO.
Old January 31, 2018, 06:29 PM   #54
Prof Young

Disappointed in ability with sights . . .

I think part of my amazement here is that I don't shoot the gun well with the sights. I've practiced a good bit, but still shoot way low with the open sights. Not so the laser. Makes me crazy.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old January 31, 2018, 07:12 PM   #55
kramden

I find using a lazer I have both eyes open. You're supposed to do that anyway ,but its even easier when using a lazer. But I still do more practice with my sights than the lazer.
Old January 31, 2018, 10:23 PM   #56
Screwball

Quote:
I think part of my amazement here is that I don't shoot the gun well with the sights. I've practiced a good bit, but still shoot way low with the open sights. Not so the laser. Makes me crazy.

Are you the type of shooter that fires a round, then looks for the result? Fires another round, and looks for the result?

That would be my first suggestion of the issue with sights. For you being on with the laser, it seems you are focusing more on the result than the sights. Again, if the laser is working and you are comfortable with it, that is all well/good... but it is covering up an issue.

If not, then I’d say from the common chart that everyone uses... breaking wrists down (keep the wrists locked and straight throughout the pull).

Another tool that can help with issues like that is the MantisX system. Gun with a rail or a flat magazine base, do a little bit of dry fire practice... and see what you get the most. Try to fix the issues with another round of dry fire, then go live fire (it works with both, just have to switch the setting in the app). A lot easier to fix something that someone/something else points out over just getting frustrated and not knowing where to start.
Old February 1, 2018, 11:50 AM   #57
Cheapshooter

Just take the laser off the gun. Shoot, and practice eithout the temptation of using the crutch intil you have correcter your bad shooting habits. Then continue to practice without the gimmick. If you still feel you just have to have the thing, put it back on, but continue to practice eithout it so you don't fall back into bad form by using the crutch. After all, don't all the TV "experts" imply that you don't even have to know how to shoot eith a laser. Just point the dot at what you want to hot, and pull the trigger.
Go ahead, and end your shooting sessions with a few rounds of laser fire of you must.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 5, 2018, 01:10 AM   #58
Prof Young

Thanks for all the thoughts and advice . . .

I appreciate all the helpful info and advice. Couple more range trips and I'm learning that I have to put a lot of finger on the trigger of the Pico when I shoot with the sights and no laser. By lot of finger I mean the trigger is on the second pad from the end of my finger. I'm not a pro by any means but my experience with seriously small guns is suggesting that to be on target you have to sort of bury the gun in your hand. I had that experience with my derringer and the one time I shot an NAA mini revolver that was true as well. Pico is turning out same way.

Life is good.
Prof Young