The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 13, 2006, 07:49 AM   #1
Sport45

Discounts with C&R License?

I'm thinking about applying for a C&R license, but I have a coupe of questions. Which suppliers of reloading components give discounts to license holders? Are the savings worth the trouble of registering with the supplier as a FFL C&R holder? Can I see the discounted prices on the web prior to ordering? I suppose an added benefit would be the ability to have C&R firearms shipped directly to my door.

Thanks!
Old April 13, 2006, 08:22 AM   #2
Rivers

Midway; Graf's, etc., etc. Go to Graf's and click on the link to their dealer site. Use the password Reloader01, and you'll be able to see the prices. Of course, it's worth it.
Old April 13, 2006, 09:33 AM   #3
308SORRELS

Rivers Thank You for the lesson I have had my C&R for several years and never was smart enough to ck on it . THANK'S
Old April 13, 2006, 10:55 AM   #4
Sport45

Thanks Rivers.

Looking at the Graf's Dealers site I found these terms and conditions (I added the emphesis):

Quote:
Terms & Conditions
VOLUME DEALER PRICES — Advertised prices reflect a 3% cash discount. This discount is only available when paying by cashier's check, money order or company check. Prices and specifications subject to change without notice. Errors including descriptive, photographic and/or typographic are subject to correction. No further discounts or programs apply to all SKU Item Numbers in Red Text or Closeout Items.

METHOD OF PAYMENT — We accept Visa, M/C & Discover, American Express, certified checks or money orders. We will also ship COD with payment terms of cash. An additional $8.50 charge on COD will apply. Advanced payment by personal or business checks are accepted, but will be held 14 days for clearance. Printable check clearance requests are available online.

BACKORDERS — We do accept backorders. When placing orders please specify if you want to B/O. Any B/O less than 30 days old will be shipped without notification, unless shipping COD.

FREIGHT — We reserve the right to ship via UPS, FedEx, Commercial Truck, or Parcel Post. All freight charges & insurance($.35 per $100) are billed to the customer, unless taking advantage of one of our special programs. When sending in an order by mail, please estimate freight & send sufficient funds. Any overpayment will be refunded or left on account, please specify preference.
It looks like the freight and cost of money orders / cashier's checks would take a good bite out of the 3% savings. Am I missing something here?
Old April 13, 2006, 11:54 AM   #5
Rivers

Sport, you are missing something. 3% isn't the amount of the dealer's discount; it's the amount that Graf's charges you (in violation of their agreements with the cc companies) for using credit cards. Check out the price of a Dillon 650 press and compare it to Dillon's price; you'll see a lot more than a 3% discount. Brownell's also offers a "trade discount". (I didn't originally include Brownell's, as you can get a Brownell's dealer account online, without having to send in any documentation.)
Old April 13, 2006, 12:13 PM   #6
Wrangler5

I thought Graf's prices included freight (except for bulk shotshells, or such like) so the highlighted charge may just be the insurance charge, and that may be optional.

In any case, Midway doesn't charge extra for credit card use. Sometimes their dealer "discount" is only a few pennies, but sometimes it's substantial. They normally ship my orders the same day I place them (if I get it in by about 4 PM) and I'm close enough to them that UPS delivers the next day. It can become VERY expensive.
Old April 13, 2006, 07:14 PM   #7
Rivers

Graf's retail prices include freight. Their dealer prices don't.
Old April 14, 2006, 08:59 PM   #8
VonFatman

Just do the math if you are stocking up...I buy MUCH from Grafs (yes, I have a C&R too)...BUT I compare Rose Dist. on bullets, or Cabela's on bullets...powders, I do grafs because I can road trip over and save the Haz-Mat (a bunch of use buy a bunch of stuff to justify the roadtrip.

I also buy from Black hills Shooters supply, etc...no ONE place is best for all stuff.

Shop and use the C&R to save money on lots of stuff.

Bob