The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 6, 2018, 08:08 AM   #1
cw308

Heritage Rough Rider in 22lr & 22 mag 6.5"

My son just picked up the revolver , nice 22 at a very good price . Don't know much about them , anyone out there have one . Would like some feedback .

Chris
Old February 6, 2018, 03:32 PM   #3
BeornLS

Hi CW,

I've had one for a bit now, seems to be a nice little shooter for the money. I got mine on sale at Academy for $99 with LR cylinder only. But there was a coupon in box for $29 to get the mag cylinder as well.

Sure, it's a cheap gun with a painted cast metal frame, the fit and finish isn't like my Ruger Single Six or anything. But with that said, it shoots to point of aim and has never not went 'bang' when I pulled the trigger on a life round.

I could sure do without the safety on it, but oh well.

For the money it's hard to beat if you ask me.
Old February 6, 2018, 04:53 PM   #4
cw308

Thanks Guys for getting back so fast , my son bought the 22lr. only . I called
Heritage I gave them the SN , I had the send a 22 mag cylinder & the black predator grips. He called me to let me know how it shot , he's surprised how accurate the gun is for the price. I'm in NY he's in Florida , when I get down there I'll give it a try . Thanks Again.

Chris
Old February 6, 2018, 06:22 PM   #5
WannabeMiculek

I really enjoy mine, never had a malfunction( due to the gun at least) seems to shoot as straight as I can point it, and it's great to be able to load six safely.
Old February 6, 2018, 06:31 PM   #6
GarandTd

Tell your son to keep an eye on the screws. Some of mine worked loose, but I discovered them before they were lost. A little loctite took care of it. That is the only problem I have had with my 6.5" lr only model.

Better yet, just have him loctite all the screws anyway. No need to wait for them to come loose. The grip screw was not an issue. It was basically the rest.
Old February 6, 2018, 08:46 PM   #7
Buckeye!

I have a Heritage 3.5 inch barreled birdshead grip 22/22mag ...Great little pistole .. My constant companion while doing chores outdoors around the homestead .. I carry with the 22 mag cylinder .. A buddy of mine has a 4.5 inch barrelled version ..his barn revolver...

Last edited by Buckeye!; February 6, 2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old February 6, 2018, 09:35 PM   #8
Model12Win

For the money, they are awesome little companions for the range or camping trip etc. etc.
Old February 6, 2018, 09:45 PM   #9
cw308

GarandTd
When adding blue loctite on the screws . Can you remove the side frame screws without messing up the internal adjustments ? I can see the grip screws an the ejection rod cover screw wouldn't be a problem . How did you loctite the side plate screws ? Thanks for the heads up.

Chris
Old February 6, 2018, 11:07 PM   #10
Cheapshooter

Great guns for the money. I bought the same 6 1/2" version a few years ago, and added one of those 3 1/2" birdshead models recently.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 6, 2018, 11:31 PM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw308
When adding blue loctite on the screws . Can you remove the side frame screws without messing up the internal adjustments ? I can see the grip screws an the ejection rod cover screw wouldn't be a problem . How did you loctite the side plate screws ? Thanks for the heads up.
No side plate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_p3J9FWnL0
Old February 7, 2018, 01:48 AM   #12
Cirdan

Bought mine because it's cheap, and I had a lot of 22lr ammo I couldn't run through my semi-auto. Surprised by how accurate it is.
Old February 7, 2018, 11:05 AM   #13
OldScout

Heritage is a very good revolver for the money. I had a Heritage 22/22mag several years ago and was very happy with it.... Heritage at that time had two different types of material and one is banned from some States. Just don't remember the specifics or if they still make them in two types of material.
Old February 7, 2018, 11:19 AM   #14
Ricklin

Loctite

If you have rubber grips don't use loctite on the grip screws. In fact I would not use it on grips that have a threaded insert for the screw as part of the grips..

The threaded insert will no longer be an insert when it's time to remove the grips.

Yup the insert will tear loose from the grip material. Heat is not your friend here likely to make a bad thing worse.

I had a heck of a time removing the screw from my Taurus 94 grips W/O destroying the grip in the process. Yup it had loctite on the screw. I was finally able to poke a sharp instrument through the grip material to stop the insert from turning while turning the screw.
Old February 7, 2018, 12:12 PM   #15
GarandTd

Chris, I loctited the screws one at a time, I did not dismantle the weapon. I didn't have any problems afterwards. I did the ejector shroud screw, a couple on the bottom that I think hold on the trigger guard, a couple behind the hammer, and maybe a couple on the side of the frame. I'm saying maybe because I don't have the revolver in front of me right now for reference.
Old February 7, 2018, 01:48 PM   #16
fredvon4

I have the same Rough rider as OP's son

got it several years back with the 2 cylinders...never fired the LR as I have had plenty of magnum 22s

for the price it is one sweet fun and amazingly accurate little revolver

I plink and fun shoot a lot just to entertain myself with a very good Ruder MKII 22/45 lite and the Rough rider....funny to me that I shoot the revolver better

I have 7 various 22 pistols and revolvers....for some reason the el cheapo Heritage RR puts the most grin on my face.... not bad for $119 out the door with a brick of CCI thrown in
Old February 7, 2018, 02:28 PM   #17
Grant D

I have mine next to me on the table.I keep it loaded with rat shot for stray animals in the yard. It works great. I'm glad I bought it.It's the only 22 revolver I own,also have a couple of rifles that are 22's. Great little pistol.
Old February 7, 2018, 03:17 PM   #18
cw308

Thanks guys for answering , the screws I'm concerned with are the ones on the side plate. I haven't seen the gun in person , adding blue on the screw threads seems like a good idea . If the screw holds the side plate on the there's no problem but if the screw goes through the frame holding something in position then removing it could be a nightmare.
Old February 7, 2018, 05:37 PM   #19
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricklin
If you have rubber grips don't use loctite on the grip screws. In fact I would not use it on grips that have a threaded insert for the screw as part of the grips..

The threaded insert will no longer be an insert when it's time to remove the grips.

Yup the insert will tear loose from the grip material. Heat is not your friend here likely to make a bad thing worse.
It depends on which Loctite you use. They have a multitude of different products that are all generally classified as "thread lockers," but they differ in how much hold they provide. Red is high hold and requires heat to remove. Green is "This ain't never ever gonna come apart." Blue is medium hold, and purple is light hold.

For 1911s, I use blue (medium) to hold the screw bushings in the frame, and purple on the screw threads. I have never had a problem with removal when I needed to take them apart.
Old February 7, 2018, 05:40 PM   #20
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw308
Thanks guys for answering , the screws I'm concerned with are the ones on the side plate.
As I posted above, in answer to your question, there is no side plate. One of those screws is for the hammer to rotate on, the other is the trigger pivot pin.
Old February 8, 2018, 03:25 AM   #21
In The Ten Ring

I bought a Rough Rider when those first came out. It was the 5 inch version and it was crap. It would foul and bind up after about 50 rounds fired. I kept mine clean. I sold it a couple of years later.
Old February 8, 2018, 10:46 AM   #22
osbornk

I bought mine a few years ago to complete my "cowboy" fantasy with my Henry lever action rifle. It has been great. I paid a little more (and didn't know any better at the time)and got mine with a case hardened finish that looks much better than the standard black. I would not hesitate to buy another or recommend it to a friend.
Old February 8, 2018, 11:49 AM   #23
Cheapshooter

One interesting point. When I bought my first RR the most accurate ammo was the cheap (at the time!) Remington Golden Bullet.
The gun shoots good with most any ammo, but the RGB tightens the group quite a bit.
Other than the aforementioned loose screws, and mine was only the ejector rod cover screw, I have not had one problem.
My only criticism is the obnoxious, and unnecessary manual safety.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 11, 2018, 06:46 AM   #24
Carl the Floor Walker

I personally find the Heritage as one of the best buys in firearms especially for that style of single action. I have the 22/22 mag combo and could not be happier. Especially considering the price.
I own a Ruger Blackhawk 9mm/357 combo and yes that is one terrific firearm. However, for 22.cal plinking and fun, the Heritage is a great buy.
Here is my Ruger and my Heritage.

PS For a small fee, I was able to get a Lifetime warranty from Bud's. Just a little piece of mind.