The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 25, 2002, 08:07 PM   #1
Commygun

Hoppe's Pepperbox

A friend of mine got a replica firearm today I've never seen before.
It's a solid, nicely made .36 caliber, six-barrelled pepperbox.
It's marked "Ethan Allen" and it does closely resemble the Ethan
Allen pepperboxes except instead of being double action with
a bar hammer, it's a single action with an exposed hammer typical
of single-shot percussion pistols. It's branded as Hoppes though
I seriously doubt they made it. Anyone have any experience or
knowledge of these Hoppes pistols? It's much nicer than the brass framed replicas I've seen in recent years. My friend paid
only $50 for it at a local gunshop. I'd love to have one!
Old January 26, 2002, 10:04 PM   #2
Alex Johnson

They used to sell them in the early 1980's. As I recall there were three distinct models available. In addition to the pepperbox you describe, there was a double barrel 36 and the other was a single barrel type target pistol. I believe the company was Hoppes calling this line of pistols Ethan Allen. They were very nicely made and high quality, but unfortunately they are no longer in production. You don't see too many of these guns around anymore, I've seen all three at one time or another at gun shows and online auctions, but they definitely are not common. In good condition your friend got a very good deal on the pepperbox, the ones I've seen have gone for over $200.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain