The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 22, 2013, 07:27 AM   #1
chrisintexas

Any benefit to paying via credit card vs paying via check/moneyorders?

I would like to know is there any benefit to paying via credit card versus paying via check/money order?
Thanks
Old October 22, 2013, 07:37 AM   #2
allaroundhunter

Any benefit to paying via credit card vs paying via check/moneyorders?

Well, if it is placing an order online or by phone it means that what you are ordering will ship sooner.
Old October 22, 2013, 08:15 AM   #3
chrisintexas

Would there be any recourse If credit card is used to make the purchase if the online seller send me a defective firearm and I missed noticing it and accepted the firearm? or some other issue cropped up? Thanks
Old October 22, 2013, 08:43 AM   #4
vito

With a check or money order there is no recourse whatsoever. Once it is cashed you are out the money. With a credit care you can always dispute the charge, claiming that your were defrauded or didn't receive the item, etc. with your credit care company. You might not always win the issue, and have the charge removed from your account, but at least you have the chance of winning in a dispute.
Old October 22, 2013, 09:11 AM   #5
FlyFish

Quote:
With a credit care you can always dispute the charge, claiming that your were defrauded or didn't receive the item, etc. with your credit care company. You might not always win the issue, and have the charge removed from your account, but at least you have the chance of winning in a dispute.
This. Also, my sense is that your probability of winning (all things regarding the validity of your argument being equal, of course) depends in part on how long you've been a holder of that particular CC, how much money you run through it each year, and your payment history. In addition, I think that some cards tend to "stand up" for their customers more than others, with American Express probably being the best, and especially so if you're a premium card holder.
Old October 22, 2013, 09:22 AM   #6
Skans

I have never used a credit card to pay for an interstate firearm purchase. I pay with money order(s) or personal check. I prefer paying with personal check, because it is easier and I have a solid record of the transaction. If I get ripped off, it is not that difficult to get the video from the bank where the check was deposited/cashed - I've done this before in a non-gun related matter.

Typically, I will ask to pay by personal check and give the seller whatever time (up to 3 weeks, if he wants) to let the check clear before shipping. Checks usually clear now in 3 days, so I have never been delayed by this.

If I REALLY WANT THE GUN, I will sometimes agree to pay by money order. One reason I don't like using money orders is because it requires that I spend almost 2 hours driving to the bank to get $$$$ cash, then driving to the post office and waiting in line to purchase money orders. I have to take time off from work to do this! So, if a seller is going to make me jump through the hoops of getting money orders, the price (and rarity of the gun) must really justify this.
Old October 22, 2013, 09:31 AM   #7
JWT

I pay with credit card if the seller will accept it. More recourse if there are issues and also accumulate air miles with my card.
Old October 22, 2013, 09:53 AM   #8
jmr40

FTF from a LGS, check or cash works just fine. On an online purchase CC is the best way to go. Send someone a check or moneyorder and if they don't ship the merchandise you are out the money and will likely never get it back. You might eventually get what you paid for, might not. If you pay with CC and file a compliant they take the charge off your bill and they go after the person who scammed you.

We had to do that once when my wife paid for a table. We never heard back from the guy after the order was placed. We waited about 2 weeks, called the bank and had the charges removed from out bill.
Old October 22, 2013, 11:55 AM   #9
chrisintexas

what about buying from an online retailer? (edit as I got the answer to the deleted part but not to rest of my questions)
which one is best credit card or check/money order?

Add - I talked to an FFL for transfer and they told me after they get the firearm they open the box without my presence and note the serial number. Then they call me 24-48 hours after receiving the firearm.
My question is is it the same policy with all FFLS' that they open the box without customer being present? You know I am thinking they might test fire the firearm just for fun or even put in exact bad one in there and take the new one for themselves. Is this a possibility?

Last edited by chrisintexas; October 22, 2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old October 22, 2013, 01:04 PM   #10
southjk

Quote:
I don't understand why some have 2 different prices listed. Higher price if you pay by credit card due to a surcharge. And a lower price if you pay by check/money order as there is no surcharge.
You answered your own question. There are two different prices because if you pay by credit card then the seller has to pay the credit card company a fee. It's typically around 3% and when dealing in high dollar items that can really add up. My local gun stores do the same thing.

I don't mind going to the post office and getting a money order. You don't have to pay for them in cash as someone above mentioned. I did this yesterday and there was no line at PO, paid with debit card and walked out in less than 5 minutes. The cost of the MO was only about $1.60 and I saved about $30 over the credit card. Yes you have to wait a few more days for them to start the shipping process but I can wait.
Old October 22, 2013, 01:25 PM   #11
chrisintexas

Thanks Southjk - how about helping answer the rest of the questions. Thanks
Old October 22, 2013, 01:27 PM   #12
Skans

I don't like paying the extra 3%. That usually means between 20-30 dollars. On top of shipping (30.00), transfer (30.00) and NICS fee (5.00). That's almost $100 extra. On a $700, that means I'm paying about 15% in junk costs.
Old October 22, 2013, 01:30 PM   #13
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Add - I talked to an FFL for transfer and they told me after they get the firearm they open the box without my presence and note the serial number. Then they call me 24-48 hours after receiving the firearm.
My question is is it the same policy with all FFLS' that they open the box without customer being present?
They have to log them in. They should do it with all the guns they get whether they're transfers or not. You can request that they not open the box until you're there and see what they say. I imagine you can shop around and find an FFL that will agree to such a request.
Quote:
You know I am thinking they might test fire the firearm just for fun or even put in exact bad one in there and take the new one for themselves. Is this a possibility?
Sure, it's a possibility. I certainly don't think it's a LIKELY possibility, but it could happen.

My recommendation is that you should find an FFL that you trust and have done business with before you start buying online. Even when buying online, local FFLs are a critically important link in the chain.
Quote:
I don't like paying the extra 3%. That usually means between 20-30 dollars. On top of shipping (30.00), transfer (30.00) and NICS fee (5.00). That's almost $100 extra. On a $700, that means I'm paying about 15% in junk costs.
$30 shipping plus a $30 transfer fee and a $5 NICS fee plus 3% on a $700 base purchase is $86 bucks. That's 12.3% in fees.

If you buy locally, you'll have to pay sales tax. On a $700 base purchase, sales tax, + NICS + 3% amounts to $83.75 in my neck of the woods. That's 12%

One might be able to argue that the 3% fee is a "junk" fee although it does provide some protection/benefits, but it doesn't really make sense to call the shipping and transfer fees junk fees. If they weren't saving you money, you'd have bought locally and avoided them.
Old October 22, 2013, 01:39 PM   #14
Nickel Plated

I'm surprised how online retailers even stay in business when they refuse to accept CC. 21st century guys. Get with it.

If it's a physical sale at a gun shop I'll pay cash or credit depending on what I got in my pocket. No big deal to me. Though I prefer to use cash if I can make a withdrawal nearby.
A private FTF sale is pretty much cash only since neither of us want's to go schlepping to the bank with checks.

Online though it's CC or no sale.
Honestly there's hundreds of online retailers that are willing to take my money with a card. I'm not gonna wait a week for the check to get to you, then wait 3 days for it to clear before you even begin processing my order. And risk it getting lost in the mail somewhere along the way.
Money order? That's how e-mail scams are paid for, no thanks.

I actually saw one online store that will accept literally nothing but gold coins and cash (and the cash is only because they're required by law to accept it).
So they expect you to go find some gold coins (the value of which is determined by the face value described by the Constitution) figure out how many of those you need to cover the cost+shipping and send those to them.
WHAT? Should I get some livestock and go over there to barter with them while I'm at it? Who came up with that system and how are they still in business?
Old October 22, 2013, 01:42 PM   #15
chrisintexas

JohnKSa Quote:
You know I am thinking they might test fire the firearm just for fun or even put in exact bad one in there and take the new one for themselves. Is this a possibility?
Sure, it's a possibility. I certainly don't think it's a LIKELY possibility, but it could happen.

My recommendation is that you should find an FFL that you trust and have done business with before you start buying online. Even when buying online, local FFLs are a critically important link in the chain.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Well it is my first time buying from online retailer and So I Don't know any Trusted FFL dealer in my area and that is why I posted another thread about finding reliable trustworthy FFL transfers in my area and no one has yet provided any replies.
Old October 22, 2013, 01:45 PM   #16
JohnKSa
Staff

The point I was trying to get across was that it would probably be smart to start doing business with FFLs in your area BEFORE trying to do transfers.

Then you have an idea of who you're doing business with based on your own experience before you have to trust them not to mess with your possessions.
Old October 22, 2013, 01:49 PM   #17
chrisintexas

Thanks JohnSa but in my particular situation I found one after many months and my local FFls don't have it in stock.
Old October 22, 2013, 02:08 PM   #18
JohnKSa
Staff

So this is your first firearms or firearms related purchase ever?
Old October 22, 2013, 02:10 PM   #19
chrisintexas

no johnsa it is not. I Bought from cabelas before
Old October 22, 2013, 02:11 PM   #20
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Well it is my first time buying from online retailer and So I Don't know any Trusted FFL dealer in my area and that is why I posted another thread about finding reliable trustworthy FFL transfers in my area and no one has yet provided any replies.
Check on your local FFLs with the Better Business Bureau. Some may be members, some won't be, but will still have a good rating. If any of them have bad business practices, they'll have poor ratings, and you'll be able to see the complaints against them.
Old October 22, 2013, 02:26 PM   #21
chrisintexas

Thanks vanya I did that and there are only 2 which are members but none in my area I mean those 2 are at least 20 miles away. 1 has a PO box address and the other never replied to my message!
Old October 22, 2013, 02:31 PM   #22
Evan Thomas

Go to one or both of them (20 miles isn't the end of the earth), do a little shopping, and see how they treat you. Gun shop owners are a lot happier to do transfers for actual customers.
Old October 22, 2013, 02:37 PM   #23
chrisintexas

Vanya 1 has no phone number just a postal address and the other is not replying.
Could you Please transfer my thread titled - Reliable good ffl Transfer in bedford, Euless, hurst. Arlington - Texas and nearby
to Handguns: General Handgun Forum ( as more people read that forum) Thank you

Last edited by Evan Thomas; October 22, 2013 at 05:47 PM. Reason: PM sent.
Old October 22, 2013, 02:46 PM   #24
orangello

Did you try the FFL Locator on Gunbroker?

http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/DealerNetwork.aspx
Old October 22, 2013, 03:02 PM   #25
chrisintexas

So I called 1 FFL and he told me he has to log on the firearm same day when he gets it and so he opens the box as soon as he gets it meaning before I come there. I requested him to open the box in front of me but he refused. This makes no sense. He can open it in my presence and write down the serial number then.