The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 29, 2012, 11:00 PM   #1
bushmaster65

More hollywood accuracy

The other day I caught an episode of "Into the West" on AMC.
(I have it on DVD and highly recommend this mini-series)
Anyway, The episode recreated the raid by the confederates
on a Kansas town I believe. The names escape me but the blood that was shed was horrific.
So here is this rebel hooligan, and he shoots a man but doesn't kill him.
The man is lying face down and props himself up on his arms as the "Reb"
walks up to finish him at point blank range.
He cocks the pistol, aims at the mans back, pulls the trigger, and, nothing!
So now he cocks the weapon and has to assist the cylinders travel as he obviously has a cap hanging up. He aims, pulls the trigger, and, Nothing!
He immediately cocks again, pulls the trigger, boom!, the man, who has been holding himself up all this time, finally falls on his face. I swear, the fact that the dying actor held himself motionless while all this was going on , makes me think that this was a REAL malfunction and the actors simply played it through. Nice to know my dragoon isn't the only C&B that needs a little help now and then.
Old September 29, 2012, 11:37 PM   #2
Water-Man

I like the mini series too.
Old September 30, 2012, 12:56 AM   #3
Ideal Tool

Sounds like the Quantril raid of Lawrence Kansas in 1863.
Old October 5, 2012, 11:37 AM   #4
Malamute

Tha caps they had were better than what we have today regarding hang ups in Colt type guns, provided the correct caps were used. Still, interesting how they filmed it. Of course the prop man may not know the difference, and thought it was more common then.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old October 5, 2012, 04:58 PM   #5
brazosdave

I haven't caught that series yet. I just am in the middle of watching the 1st season of "Deadwood" on dvd; where did ya find it at? I ain't seen it at Wallyworld, but the 2nd choice is usually amazon for dvds.
Old October 5, 2012, 07:36 PM   #6
Hellgate

Hey Brazos,
I just went to my local library website and reserved it. Piece of cake. Also watched the Deadwood series from the library. By the time I was done the wife was on me to clean up my foul mouth. She couldn't figure out where I suddenly let things slip. Watch out. However my dad talked just like Swingen(?) my whole life so that is what I blamed it on.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old October 6, 2012, 07:21 PM   #7
brazosdave

cool! I'll have to check out the local library. I know, I noticed I started cursing alot more after watching "Deadwood", lol! Guess I better tone it down for Sunday meetin at the church tomorrow