The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 8, 2000, 12:24 PM   #1
cobraman

Anybody know where I can get a metal guide rod for my CZ75d compact? I hate the dorky plastic one that came stock. Also does any know of a source for CZ accesories? I tried Brownells but didnt find a thing.
Old December 8, 2000, 02:30 PM   #2
VictorLouis

Go to the hardware emporuim and take a look at their various bolts. Find one that has roughly the same outside diameter, with a squared corner head, rather than a domed one. The head size should be larger than the 'head' of the guide rod. Find the kind that has the threaded portion near the end of its length. The unthreaded portion should be longer than the length of the guide rod.

Now, you cut off the threads with your Dremel wheel, or carefully with a hacksaw. This is where having some room for error on your part comes into play. Then, you chuck the cut end into a drill press so that you can begin to turn down the head with your files. Yes, you can use a portable drill secured by a vise; but, it's much more dicey on getting a good result. Work down the the flat portion of the head first, until it is at the thickness of the guide rod's. Then, you carefully work down the outside edge to match its diameter. Lastly, you finish the cut end as closely as possible down to the final overall length. Cold blue if desired, which I did.

I don't know if the bolt's heat treat(if any) will allow it to stand up to the pounding of the slide's recoil. Then again, if plastic suffices, there shouldn't be a problem.
Old December 8, 2000, 02:34 PM   #3
cobraman

VL you are my new hero. Great Idea but I dont think I am competent enough with the tools required to do job. Plus My CZ has a little pocket on the Barrel link where a nipple on the Guide rod sits. I dont think I could fabricate that.
Old December 8, 2000, 06:49 PM   #4
Joe Klug

Cobraman,

Call CZ customer service and ask if the metal guide in the standard CZ-75 Compact will work in your CZ-75BD. I'm not qualified to say for sure but I think it probably will. If so, all you have to do is order the factory part.

Joe/Ga
Old December 8, 2000, 07:37 PM   #5
VictorLouis

You know, I was going to come in an edit that same advice at the end of my post. I knew another member would come in and save me. Sorry to hear about the added complication of the rod. I made one for a Grendel .380, and a full-length one for a 1911 in this manner. It's a lot easier than it may sound.
Old December 11, 2000, 08:32 AM   #6
cobraman

Thanks Guys !