The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 9, 2011, 04:42 PM   #1
gregjc9

Feedback on console vault

I've been thinking about getting a console vault for my pickup. A co-worker has the under-seat model for his Jeep, and he seems to like his. My Sierra doesnt have the room under the seat, so I would probably have to opt for the console model.

Wondering if anyone has this model, or similar, and any feedback.

Some concerns/thoughts I had on this are: How easy is it to open when it's "needed"? How/where do you keep the key? (Keeping it on the key ring seems to be pointless.) Loss of console use/space? Other comparable/better mfgrs?

http://www.consolevault.us/sierra-console-vault.php

Greg
Old February 9, 2011, 04:57 PM   #2
therewolf

I thought about a console locking system, decided that for the few times I

would enter an area which excluded CCW when I didn't have someone waiting in

the car it wouldn't be worth it, for me. YMMV

My first consideration was "I'm already slow as molasses on the draw, do I really

need this additional stuff slowing me down?
Old February 9, 2011, 04:58 PM   #3
spclPatrolGroup

Looks expensive, I found a gunvault nano would fit in my console, I just needed to cut out a piece of molded plastic, then I ran the cable out the back and down and around the passanger seat mount, all for about $20
Old February 10, 2011, 12:19 PM   #4
FAS1

I like the general idea of the console vaults for personal belongings, but they are a little expensive. I don't like the idea of a key for access to your handgun though. Also, when you install it, do the screws attach to metal such as the vehicle floor or just the plastic console? That makes a difference on how secure it is.
Old February 10, 2011, 12:26 PM   #5
Jake Balam

I know Tom, the owner of console vault personally from when I was a territory manager at Truckvault.

The unit attaches to a metal frame underneath the console and is secure as all hell.

It also utilizes a barrel key, so fumbling around trying to get the key in the hole isnt as difficult in a stressful situation.
Old February 10, 2011, 12:40 PM   #6
gregjc9

Per the Console Vault instructions, you remove the screws at the bottom of the console, insert the vault, re-install the screws. Uber simple, and I assume it secures to the metal frame of the console.

RE not as likely to fumble around with the barrel key, but where do you keep the key????? On your key ring?

" Excuse me Mr. Bad Guy, would you wait one minute while I turn off my truck, take my keys out, unlock my Console Vault, so that I can retrieve my sidearm? " Dont think so....

I dont see any way of being able to access a sidearm quickly and effeciently using a key. I'd much prefer a combo lock of some sort.

Greg
Old February 10, 2011, 01:06 PM   #7
Jake Balam

Leave the key in the lock, until you get out of the car.

The main purpose of the console vault, in my eyes, is only to secure the pistol when you are not carrying it.

In my experience, most of the combo locks on these type of vaults have between 6 and 10 digits. The combo on a simplex combination lock is 2 and 4 at the same time, then 3... The combination on a GE Supra lock is set by the user but must be 4 digits.

I don't know about you, but when Im getting shot at, I don't want to remember a code. Thats why I would only use a console vault to secure my handgun if I came upon a place I couldn't CC.
Old February 10, 2011, 01:41 PM   #8
FAS1

Quote:
The combo on a simplex combination lock is 2 and 4 at the same time, then 3...
No. That's not correct. That is the factory default and you can set it for whatever you want, well almost. I know some people that will pre-punch their combination so they only need to turn the knob to access when they are there. When they leave the area they simply turn the knob to the left to clear it and remain locked.

Example in Ford Explorer.
Old February 10, 2011, 01:48 PM   #9
Jake Balam

Fas1

Thats correct it is the factory default.

What I found selling and servicing these locks for a few years is that 90% of people I dealt with did not change it from the factory combination.

We had many calls from people who purchased them at auction, and had to unlock them, and many many FBI agents and US marshals who would change cars and not get the combination from whoever had it before them.

Every time, 2 and 4 at the same time, then 3
Old February 10, 2011, 03:32 PM   #10
gregjc9

Quote:
The main purpose of the console vault, in my eyes, is only to secure the pistol when you are not carrying it.
My intended use is to store a truck gun in it.

Greg
Old February 10, 2011, 03:49 PM   #11
MLeake

I have one of these, and like it a lot.

As has been noted, it screws in using the screws and holes that anchor the liner of the factory console.

I opted for the combo lock. It's not that hard to remember a 3-digit combo, and since I only lock up the gun at those times that I can't carry it, draw speed really isn't a factor.

A gun in the vault should be in a holster of some kind, as it is unlined steel; plus, the lock mechanism can scrape against the gun if it isn't secured in some way.

I lost some console space, but can fit a 1911 CBOB, holstered, plus spare mags. Those can share the space nicely with the remote and headsets for the backseat DVD system (came with the truck, used; I have never tried it out, no kids.) I've also put my iPhone, iPod, and chargers in there.

(IE, if your console is spacious to begin with, you won't lose many cubic inches.)