The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 10, 2007, 10:10 AM   #1
revance

Anyone with guns in the home (basically everyone here)

I'm sorry if this product is old news, but I thought it was really cool...

I just purchased some new deadbolts and after purchasing them noticed they have a really cool feature on them. When locked from the inside, you can pull the latch out and disable the keyed side so even if someone has the key to your house, they can't open the lock.

The manufacturer (Master) emphasizes the primary purpose to be for those that just hand over their entire key chain to auto shops and other service people who could easily make a copy. However I see it as a great way to prevent friends, family, and neighbors who have keys from (in a moment of stupidity) entering your home unannounced and being met with the business end of a firearm.

My neighbors have a key to my house and have let themselves in while we were home before. It was late on a weekend morning and they assumed we weren't home. Luckily they noisily played with our dog so I could hear it was them right away. They know there are guns in the house, but I don't think they realize they are used for home defense, not just target shooting.

These would also be great for people with older children who might (again, in a moment of stupidity) decide to let themselves in late at night when they decide not to spend the night at a friends house or forget something etc. While I know people teach their children better than that, they still do stupid things and this is a safety feature I think is just overall a good idea. Since I had never heard of such a thing (other than ugly chains/bolts/etc) I thought I would share.
Old December 10, 2007, 10:16 AM   #2
rem870hunter

what is the model number and where can i get them? do you have a pic. or link to one of it?
Old December 10, 2007, 10:26 AM   #3
revance

Here you go... I got it for like $16 at Target

http://www.masterdoorlock.com/nightwatch/index.shtml

Other brands might have similar products too. It is incredibly simple... when you pull the latch out, the cylinder its attached to slides into some grooves that prevent it from turning, hence also keeping the tumbler from turning. When I get home tonight, I can take some pictures of how the internals work and post them.

I purchased the lock to put on the door to the garage. Since it would only be locked at night, I didn't worry about getting something that could be pinned to match all the others locks. However the latch mechanism fits on our existing deadbolts (Dexter brand), so I was going to just replace that part so I don't have to replace keys.
Old December 10, 2007, 12:42 PM   #4
jhansman

Now that's a good idea. I'm off to Target! Thanks.
Old December 10, 2007, 09:28 PM   #5
novaDAK

I like that idea. It's kinda like the "lock" feature on garage door openers where you can flip a switch and the remotes or buttons won't open the door until the switch is flipped back.

I'll keep this in mind when I get my own place
Old December 10, 2007, 09:33 PM   #6
teeroux

im sold im buying one tommorow
Old December 11, 2007, 07:18 AM   #7
revance

So one thing crossed our mind while I was installing these...

Make sure you don't leave them in the "lock out" mode while you away and rely on a garage opener to get back in. We usually go in/out through the garage, so it would be possible for us to accidentally leave the other doors in "lock out mode" and it would really stink to return home to a power outage or broken garage door!

I'm in the habit of checking all doors before I leave the house, so I will just add this to my checklist.
Old December 12, 2007, 12:33 AM   #8
Sgt.Fathead

Very interesting! Thanks for the link.