The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 8, 2000, 09:35 AM   #1
AR BLACK

6P www.lagger-pro.com/P.htm
6Z www.lagger-pro.com/combat.htm

I'm looking to mount one of these lights to a Mossberg 500 for coon control (and use it as a regular flashlight). I've never seen one of these as no one has any stocked around here.

1. How does the on/off switch work. Is it only momentary or can it be swiched "on."
2. Thinking about a "double clamp" mount for under the bbl of the shot gun. The 6P looks like it won't be a problem. What about the 6Z?
3. What accessories are recommended (spare bulb, etc.)

I just can't hold the Q-beam spot light and the shotgun at the same time to blast those critters. Sometimes the wife holds the light but she thinks the 12 ga. is too loud (for those smaller rodents, I use the .410).

Thanks, Blackie
Old May 8, 2000, 04:12 PM   #2
Jeff OTMG

I have a 6Z. The momentary switch (button) is on the end cap, for full time on you just screw the end cap in more. The accessories I recommend are an extra battery and a 10 pack of batteries. They are cheaper in quantity.
Old May 9, 2000, 08:01 AM   #3
jthuang

Concur with Jeff -- batteries go fast when you fall in love with your Surefire (and you will do so, believe me).

However, clamping a standard 6P on your Mossberg may not work very well. The problem is that the standard hand-held Surefire lights (excluding the new Millennium series) are not shock isolated. The heavy recoil of a 12 gauge shotgun may blow out your flashlight at an inopportune moment (e.g., home defense situation at night).

The solution which has been advanced by many is to replace the stock bezel on the 6P or 3P with the Z32 shock-proof bezel. That helps, but there's more to the story than those people realize.

Even with the Z32 bezel, the Surefire lights are not very shock resistant. The problem is that there are three areas of concern: (1) the bezel; (2) the inter-battery gap; and (3) the interface between the battery and the lamp module.

The Z32 will fix problem #1. Unfortunately, with a multi-battery light like the 6P, impact to the light can cause the batteries to crunch against each other, possibly causing a failure. This is problem #2. That problem is solved in the Surefire weaponlights by their special shrink-wrapped battery -- the batteries are shrink wrapped together, with a shock buffer between them to prevent damage.

Problem #3 occurs when the batteries slam forward into the lamp module. Surefire's weaponlights prevent this by machining a "shoulder" into the light body which prevents the batteries from moving forward against the lamp module beyond the necessary space for normal contact with the lamp module.

Metal contacts (they look like flat metal discs) are added to the terminals of the special battery pack to spread out the impact of the positive terminal on the lamp module.-- the "nub" on the positive terminal of a standard DL123 battery will focus impact on a smaller cross section of the lamp, compared to the special contacts (which spread the impact over a larger cross section).

In sum, adding a Z32 shock isolated bezel will help, but it will not solve all shock-related problems with the standard Surefire 6P and 6Z.

What's the answer? If you want a shock-isolated weaponlight, buy the Surefire Responder dedicated fore-end. Otherwise, you roll the dice.

HTH,

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Old May 9, 2000, 04:51 PM   #4
ohen cepel

I have the hand held sure fire and love it. However, I wouldn't mount it on a weapon due to the problems pointed out.
I also have the sure fire designed to be weapons mounted (don't know the number, bought it years ago) on a beretta FP1200.
Have the pressure switch on the fore end. Have fired several hundred rounds of full loads through it with only one problem. The barrel mount tends to want to slide forward. Had to move the switch forward some and put the mount against the barrel lug, no more problems.
I would look about getting the replacement fore end for the Mossberg with the switch in it. The don't make on for my 1200 or I would have gone that way.
$$$ but worth it.
It is a great set up.

------------------
He who dares wins.
NRA Life Memeber