The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 15, 1999, 11:05 AM   #1
Pipper

I bought a new Mossberg 590 yesterday, and I'm new to shotgunning. I read the manual thoroughly, but I didn't find it very clear or helpful (unlike my HK USP manual which was extremely clear). I do intend to practice shooting at least once a week for a while. I don't plan to hunt.

First, cleaning: this gun seems to have a fair amount of grease (or something) on the barrel and heat shield. How extensively do I need to do the initial cleaning? Do I take the barrel off? Clean the trigger mechanism? I know how to clean a handgun, is shotgun cleaning similar?

Also, please recommend a good case. Is a softcase or a hardcase better? Which brands are recommended?

Thanks for your help. I've received a lot of good info from everyone regarding which gun to purchase: this is an excellent forum.
Old September 15, 1999, 01:05 PM   #2
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Pipper,

You're right about Mossberg's manuals. I had to go through mine about 10 times before I understood it.

The initial cleaning should be like a normal cleaning, perhaps a little more thorough. DON'T disassemble the trigger group.

-Remove the barrel by turning the thumbscrew counterclockwise (as you look at it from the front) until it's loose. Move the forend about halfway forward. The barrel should pop right out.

-Drive the trigger group pin (the one just above the trigger) through the receiver with a small punch. I find that hand pressure is fine; no mallet should be needed.

-Remove the trigger group by pulling out on the trigger guard. The lugs are at the front of the assembly, so the rear of the group comes out first.

-Remove the shell stop and extractor from the inside of the receiver. These are the two little strips.

-Move the forend until the bolt slide is lined up with the cuts on the inside of the receiver. The slide should come up and off the bolt easily.

-Pull the forend forward over the magazine.

-Push the bolt through the front of the receiver.

-Remove the elevator by squeezing it about halfway down its length.

Your gun is now field-stripped. Go about cleaning the barrel and guts like normal; I use an old nylon toothbrush and Hoppes #9 on all the internals. Give the trigger group a good once-over, but like I said, DON'T take it apart. I don't oil the guts unless I know the gun isn't going to be used for a long time (yeah, that's likely ).

Reassembly is a bit tricky.

-Install the elevator; the two posts on the outside of the elevator arms fit into the holes in the sides of the receiver.

-Push the bolt into the receiver, firing pin hole forward (duh). There's a little tang on the inside of the receiver; you'll want to push this down with one hand while inserting the bolt with the other. Slide the bolt about 2/3 of the way back.

-Install the forend. The arms want to go into two small slots on either side of the magazine. It'll take some wiggling to get them to go in. Position the forend so that the notches in the arms are lined up with the notches in the bolt.

-Drop the bolt slide in on top of the bolt. Again, it'll take some wiggling and alignment to get it. When you've got it right, moving the forend will move the bolt and slide together with no hangups.

-Place the shell stop and extractor into their slots in the sides of the receiver. You'll notice that the extractor has a post, like the elevator. This post fits into a hole; the shell stop is smooth. You can't put these parts in incorrectly, but getting them to stay put takes some practice.

-Insert the forward end of the trigger group under the lugs, and pivot the group down into the receiver. It should go in with very little resistance. Once the group is in place, push the pin through the hole in the receiver until it's flush with both sides. Again, this should only take finger pressure.

-Position the forend about halfway along its travel. Place the breech end of the barrel into the receiver, and screw down the thumbscrew on the end of the magazine. Finger-tight only; no wrenches!

Your gun should now be reassembled. The manual suggests a function check at this point. I rack the action a few times, checking for binding or odd noises. I then try to pull the trigger while the safety is on. If the trigger doesn't move, I take the safety off and dry-fire the gun.

I'm getting a digital camera next week. I'll take photos of all the steps and send them to you, if you like.

HTH.

------------------
"Taking a long view of history, we may say that
anyone who lays down his arms deserves whatever he gets."
--Jeff Cooper
Old September 15, 1999, 02:07 PM   #3
Pipper

Thanks so much, Coinneach! I really appreciate the detailed account. If it's not too much trouble, I'd love to see photos of the cleaning process.

Thank for such an informative response.
Old September 15, 1999, 05:11 PM   #4
Big Bunny

Pip -12 GA cleaning is best FROM the chamber if possible - with Hoppes #9 or WD 40 on a scrunched-up or folded facial tissue and any rod, just as long as it is not heavy fouling it will just push out. If it is heavy - a jag or turks-head on a 12GA sized rod is called for ... with a Hoppes 'Tornado' s/s "brush" used for extreme plastic and lead fouling.
Not cleaning a shottie can increase felt recoil, but generally they far less critical than pistols, as most now have crome bores and are a breeze to clean( not so with early Browning A5 autos, as I know to my cost!).

Glad you bought one...welcome to the club !

------------------
***Big Bunny***
Old September 16, 1999, 10:47 AM   #5
Pipper

Thanks for all your help!

Should I remove the oil or grease that's on the exterior of the barrel, heat shield, magazine tube, and other metal parts? If I run my finger over any metal, I get a nice film of oil on it. Is this much oil on the externals excessive? If I take it off, should I reapply a smaller amount of oil to the external metal?
Old September 16, 1999, 10:58 AM   #6
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Pipper,

That external oil will attract dirt and spent powder. Best you remove it with Hoppe's or something similar.

------------------
"Taking a long view of history, we may say that
anyone who lays down his arms deserves whatever he gets."
--Jeff Cooper
Old September 22, 1999, 08:00 AM   #7
Ozzie223
Retired Screen Name

Coinneach,

I just received my NIB Moss 590 3 days ago and share many of Pippers questions and observations (this is also MY first shotgun). Any chance if you send him those digital photos you could CC them to me? I would be very grateful.

You were right about that manual. It seems they went out of their way to complicate it.

Thanks in Advance,
[email protected]
Old September 22, 1999, 09:37 AM   #8
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Ozzie, you bet.

Amusing note: One of my users poked his head into my office yesterday, grinning like I've never seen him grin before. Asked him what was up, did Bill G. just get rubbed out by Linus T or something?

"I got a Mossberg 500 yesterday!"

"Cool. How d'ya like that manual?"

"Oh, man, that thing sucks. Got any tips?"

Usually, sysadmin types get hit up to fix users' home computers. Me, I get stuck with the gun questions. Dang.

------------------
"America needs additional gun laws like a giraffe needs snow tires."
--Rabbi Mermelstein, JPFO
Old September 22, 1999, 10:15 AM   #9
dZ

since the 590 A1 is a mil spec weapon isn't there a TM?

dZ
Old September 26, 1999, 07:22 PM   #10
Ozzie223
Retired Screen Name

Pipper,

We are both new Moss 590 owners. If you care to, lets exchange lessons and experiences. I've taken mine to the range last week...I shot some target shot and some buckshot. I have not yet cleaned mine since the last range visit.

Cya Out There,
Ozzie

[email protected]
Old September 27, 1999, 10:28 AM   #11
dZ

i think i am going to buy a 590 this month

i stopped in a local shop and they had a selection

one was the 9 shot 590 A1 with the lug & the ghost ring for ~325
it seemed to have a plastic trigger guard

there was a 6 shot no lug 590 with what seemed to be a grey metal trigger guard

any opinions on plastic?

according to mossbergs web site the 590 is a 9 shot only

maybe the hang tag was wrong and the short one was a mil spec 6 shot 500 sans lug

both were parkerized

dZ
Old September 28, 1999, 09:56 AM   #12
IndianaJoe

Hello guys, I'm new to this board. I have a Mossberg 500A and have put 500 rounds through it. No problems, and I don't clean it that much. It's rugged and dependable gun. Don't forget to take the wooden dowel out or you're limited to three rounds. What does "Senior Member" mean? Joe

------------------
Shoot First and Survive
Old October 1, 1999, 09:52 PM   #13
Gunfighter

I use the Galati International padded cases for all my evil black guns. The one I use for my 590 has been tossed into the trunk of my squad hundreds of times. The only modifications I suggest to the cases are the following. Put a couple layers of 100 MPH Tape in the bottom of the case so the barrel doesn't wear through. Take off the little D rings that are used to attach the shoulder strap to the case with and replace with split rings like from a keychain. You can get the cases from Cheaper Than Dirt. You made a good shotgun choice. make sure you get the M-7 bayonet for it. They love that at roll call. Oh yeah a sling from an M-60 makes a great sling for it.