The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 27, 2012, 04:27 PM   #26
Noreaster

I use a 308, but a 270 or 30'06 would be just as useful. I find the 308 recoil to be very user friendly. For me, deer and black bear with a chance at a Moose tag, the 308 if fine. If I hunted mostly bear then maybe, maybe I would opt for the 30'06 because of a slight increase in power. If I lived out West and hunted antelope at extended ranges then a 270 would be my choice.
Old September 27, 2012, 09:48 PM   #27
45YearsShooting

The Lewis and Clark soldiers fired 10 shots into a 500-600 pound grizzly and remarked that the Grizzly was extremely hard to kill. In their journals, they said: "we Shot ten Balls into him before we killed him, & 5 of those Balls through his lights.”

After the bear was shot 10 times, Lewis wrote: β€œhe swam more than half the distance across the river to a sandbar & it was at least twenty minutes before he died; he did not attempt to attack, but fled and made the most tremendous roaring from the moment he was shot.”

I read a fairly scientific study that queried Alaskan bear guides about the rifle calibers used and the effects of the hits. The data gathered indicated that the 300 magnums resulted in a larger percentage of clean kills than the .338 magnum.

I'm sure a 30-06 is a fine Grizzly cartridge, but I would use those Hornady Light Magnum loads if I were using that gun on a Grizzly hunt.
Old September 27, 2012, 11:42 PM   #28
Jbotto

Like everyone else has previously said, it's really a horse apiece. If I was never going to shoot anything bigger than a Whitetail, I'd go with the .308, as from a reloader's standpoint, it's a bit more efficient (loaded with less powder that will obtain velocities that will kill something just as dead as with a .30/06). I'm a Savage Arms fan as well, but if this is your first centerfire rifle, I would advise against going with the Savage Arms long action. Their short actions feel just right to me, but their long actions are definitely LONG! I went from shooting a Stevens .223 to a Stevens .30/06 and it leads to some cursing on my end when I short stroke the bolt, when in a hurry. Just some more thoughts...
Old September 30, 2012, 10:40 AM   #29
FairWarning

Old September 30, 2012, 12:51 PM   #30
RC20

Quote:
However, if you live in more open plains...I'd pick the .270 for the flatter trajectories and reduction in recoil over the 30-06.
I do like the 270. However, its recoil is not much less than a 30-06.

Load a 30-06 down to the 270 bullets and you will have a similar trajectory (so close as not to matter as once past 300 yards the drop gets to be so much its a mute).

On the ohter hand you can load 270 up to 180 grains and have a good short range match for the 06.

And not a 30-06 is not my first choice for a grissly, but far more have been taken with that than all those magnums.

And comparing black powder balls into a bear vs a modern bullet is invalid.

I know of one case (Elmer Keith) where the bear came after his party. Upshot was that they saw it and 5 experience hungers hit it with anything from 35 whalen up to 338 mangum. It finally died at their feet (fortunately an uphill charge by the bear). You never know about a Grizzly. I would guess only 5 rounds from a 50 caliber would drop one for sure.