The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 11, 2011, 02:34 PM   #1
tbinder

Help with 1903A3 Trigger and Sear

Hello All,
I purchased a rebuilt '03 18 months ago and just brought it to the range yesterday. To my dismay the rifle would only fire intermittently. The rifle fired only twice in more than a dozen attempts. The trigger would be fully pulled but the sear did not release the firing pin. When I applied a little pressure to the cocking rod with my thumb, the rifle did fire. Is there a simple adjustment I can make or anything? I appreciate hearing from you with suggestions. Thanks!
Old September 11, 2011, 04:31 PM   #2
mkk41

Have you field stripped the bolt and checked the inside of the bolt body for excess or dried grease?

Does the bolt handle fully turn down into the recess in the stock?
Old September 11, 2011, 04:52 PM   #3
grumpa72

I would suspect the bolt as suggested. You did clean the gun first, didn't you? When I got my 1903A3 home this spring, it was covered in grease/cosmoline. It took me a few hours of careful cleaning to get it free of that stuff. I soaked the bolt in solvent for quite a while, blew compressed air through it and got all of the grease out ... or so I thought. Then I googled 1903A3 bolt detail strip and found a site with pictures and descriptions. This is one of the easiest bolts I have ever stripped. If you did clean it, then I would suggest that the striker spring, aka firing pin spring (wrong nomenclature), is weak. They are available and affordable.
Old September 11, 2011, 05:09 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I suspect an attempt by a previous owner or an amateur "gunsmith" to work on the trigger pull with the result that the sear won't drop far enough to release the cocking piece. The OP says that the trigger is pulled but won't release the firing pin, which does not sound like grease in the bolt.

FWIW, that rifle could be dangerous and I suggest having it checked over by a gunsmith or by someone knowledgeable on those rifles.

Jim
Old September 11, 2011, 06:24 PM   #5
tbinder

Did Thoughly Clean

Hello All,

Thanks for the replies. I did disassemble the bolt and it is clean so I'll need to get this checked out by a gun smith.
Old September 11, 2011, 06:56 PM   #6
tbinder

Bolt Issue?

Ok I just took mkk41 advice and checked if the bolt was fully turned down. Well if I push down on the bolt the gun will fire so it could be that the bolt can't rotate enough. I checked and the bolt handle is not hitting any wood. It just stops on the metal receiver. There are marking on the bolt under the arm.

It looks like the bolt just needs to rotate a smigeon more. Does anyone have any suggestions?

BTW - this is a rebuilt '03 with a brand new stock.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Last edited by tbinder; September 11, 2011 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Updated Information
Old September 13, 2011, 04:33 PM   #7
mkk41

Does this bolt have an aftermarket 'sporter' handle welded on or the original military bolt handle?

If original handle , has it been bent to clear a scope?

Last edited by mkk41; September 13, 2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old September 16, 2011, 12:47 PM   #8
tbinder

Military Bolt

The bolt looks to be US Military. It doesn't look to have been modified.

Thanks for assisting!
Old September 17, 2011, 05:23 PM   #9
P5 Guy

Loading, How?

One at a time? From the magazine? Is the magazine cutoff on or off?
Controlled feed needs to pick up the round from the magazine so the rim is under the extractor.
Old September 24, 2011, 12:23 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

First, look for the obvious. Take the action from the stock, look to ensure there is clearance for all the moving parts in the new stock.

Check to see if the trigger pulls the sear down without resistance. Both with, and without the bolt in the gun. Check to see that the trigger, sear and spring are assembled properly. The spring might be cocked, or broken, preventing free and easy sear travel.

Does the rifle still have its two stage military trigger pull? IF not, then most likely someone has done trigger work, and may have gone a bit too far.