The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 14, 2011, 08:00 PM   #1
Deep Blue

Springfield/Stephens SxS Questions

Good evening gentleman,

I have a Springfield/Stephens 12ga sxs shoutgun. I have a few questions about it that I hope someone can help me with. First there is no model number on the gun. I figure it's post 1968 because there is a serial number on the barrrels and receiver. Other markings are a Z on the piece of metal that the fore end clips into and there is a 24 in a circle on the botom of the receiver almost over the hinge pin.
Okay now to the bad stuff. For someone reason when shot the action breaks itself open. Has anyone heard of this problem or know what causes it? I love shooting doves with this gun but I have to fix this issue.
Thank you in advance for any info on the gun or the problem I am exp.

Deep Blue
Old August 15, 2011, 06:19 AM   #2
Slugo

OK, I need to add one more...

Oops! Wrong post, sorry...

Last edited by Slugo; August 15, 2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old August 15, 2011, 07:02 AM   #3
Hawg

It was made prior to 1948. Stevens dropped the Springfield name on shotguns in 48. It's probably a 5100. Sounds like the barrel latch is worn.
Old August 15, 2011, 08:29 AM   #4
oneounceload

Quote:
For someone reason when shot the action breaks itself open. Has anyone heard of this problem or know what causes it
Or the main spring is worn - had that happen on a Browning, my Savage SxS as well. IF the parts are available, it shouldn't be too much of an issue for an accomplished gunsmith, although mine had to do machining on the Savage internals and make a part - and my gun was new in the early 80's
Old August 15, 2011, 04:13 PM   #5
JiminTexas

The Stevens 311 is not too difficult to disassemble and fix. For a good guide to complete disassembly look here: http://marauder.homestead.com/Stevens311.html . If you find the worn broken part, try Numrich at this URL: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Default.aspx.
A drill bit works well for the drift pin that you will need and a variety of sizes of regular blade screwdrivers is almost a must. Use the right size, you'll regret it and the scratched up screws if you don't.