The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 14, 2011, 09:39 PM   #1
lasvegastransplant

Mossberg 500 Magazine Question

I have noticed that it will not push out the last shell to cycle it. I opened it up and lightly, cleaned the inside of the mag. I even wiped down the spring WITHOUT bending or stretching it. With 3" shells every time the last one wont pop out. I put some 2.75" and the last one will eject OK. The 2.75" stuck on the last shell 1 out of five times. Seems like the it likes the smaller shells. When the last shell sticks, I can give it a wack on the side the last shell will pop out every time. Could I need a new spring? I also kind of noticed while loading it the shells stick like there is something in the tube. I sometimes have to give it a second push to load a shell. Here are some pics ALSO I thought the 500 holds 6. I think mine holds 7 or 8. Any info would be great. Really only issue is the last shell not coming out of the mag without a firm tap to the side. Hope you guys understand. Thanks for reading.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_2050.jpg (71.9 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2053.jpg (72.2 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_2051.jpg (78.1 KB, 73 views)
Thinking 4:24/7 is a way of life.
Old July 14, 2011, 09:46 PM   #2
Gehrhard

First, u have a 7+1 model.

VERY nice guns actually!

Second, it looks as tho the tube might have a bend, but it is a pic and probably just the handguard spacer, so, who knows. Shouldn't have to push a couple of times to get something into tube or tap to get something out. IF tube is straight, THEN I would take it off, vigorously clean inside, get a new Wolff spring and a follower. Lube lightly with silicone spray. Tube bent (which I doubt)? Replace that too.

Last edited by Gehrhard; July 14, 2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old July 14, 2011, 10:08 PM   #3
lasvegastransplant

Who has decent prices ??

I would like to buy both parts. The spring and follower. Who has a good selection?

No the tube is not bent. Its hard to get a nice picture since it's a little long. And yes, I think they are nice also.

Thanks G-Hard for the advice. I was going to get a spring but would have forgot the follower.
Old July 14, 2011, 10:10 PM   #4
TheKlawMan

Have you been keeping it stored with a full tube? Some say that will weaken the spring. Regardless, if you have an OEM sping and follower, get some new ones, but not from Mossberg. + on the Wolf. At least I have been told, that while the gun is a good, the spring and follower isn't so hot. Hogdogs is a Mossberg guy and will know better.

Just order them online from Brownell's.
Old July 15, 2011, 09:54 AM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Have you done a tear down and cleaning lately?

Could possibly be gunk under the shell retainer bar making it not press in far enough when cycled along with the spring being weakest at this point.

Brent
Old July 15, 2011, 10:10 AM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

A couple two or 3 years ago there was a bad batch of springs sold to Mossberg. Seems most complaints were on the longer tube equipped guns. Several of these guns made it to discussion here at TFL and a swap with wolf was the fix for everyone. These bad springs were easily identified by removing it... if it lays straight it is not a bad one. the bad ones had kinks and bends. Not likely that bad when installed but after a guy tries to load full capacity a few times, that little bend resulted in kinks and such.

As for me... The same spring and shell follower for way more than 20 years. I cannot, for the life of me (no pun intended), figure out how this wimped out spring works for the last shell or 2... WAY FAR LESS THAN 1 pound on that last shell... Maybe an ounce or 2 resistance...

Brent
Old July 15, 2011, 10:17 AM   #7
SteelChickenShooter

I probably know your trouble seeing as I had what sounds like the same. In my case, I bought a number of Mossberg shotguns and found a few of them had the magazine follower sticking in the tube brand new out of the box. I'ts logical to think a dent or ding would make the follower get stuck, so that was my first idea. Then I went to unload a tube on another one and that one didn't work either. I took the guns back to my dealer and I had one sent back for warranty repair. In the other case(s), I test loaded the tubes in the shop and traded for guns that worked. He then returned the others. There was no dirt or damage, simply poorly made or poorly fitting parts. Also check into another variable that can affect shotguns. There is some variety in overall length of shotshells. If you stack up a bunch of different brands you can see some are longer and shorter. I had this same experience as well. Loading up the tube on one of my Mossbergs with shells that were a bit longer didn't work well. But load up the tube with the same number of something else did work. Empty your gun and push the magazine follower in with a dowel rod to simulate loading. Slowly let it back out and see if your magazine follow comes back all the way or stops somewhere along the way.
Old July 15, 2011, 10:21 AM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I forgot... My follower is a fine piece of machined steel... No plastic or cast potmetal follower in my gun.

Brent
Old July 15, 2011, 11:42 AM   #9
lasvegastransplant

Fixed the issue

It had not been cleaned(fully) in some time. She works good as new.

HOGDOGS you were right. The gunk under the shell retainer bar was holding that last shell in. Thanks

Last edited by lasvegastransplant; July 15, 2011 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Forgot to say..
Old July 15, 2011, 01:06 PM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Glad I could be of service... 'specially when it is a painless easy fix!

Brent
Old July 15, 2011, 10:46 PM   #11
.300 Weatherby Mag

I just bought a Brownells Stainless Steel follower for my 500... The mag spring is weak, so I ordered a new spring from Wolff Springs...
Old July 15, 2011, 11:44 PM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
a Brownells Stainless Steel follower
I want one for my little 20...
Brent
Old July 20, 2011, 10:46 AM   #13
AJG

??

Are you sure thats a 500? looks alot like a 590
Old July 20, 2011, 11:42 AM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The middle image plainly shows a magazine screw of a 500 rather than a magazine cap nut of a 590... 500 all the way...

Brent
Old July 20, 2011, 12:32 PM   #15
lasvegastransplant

Yes it's a 500A

I was thinking about changing the foregrip to another style. All the reading I have done has me thinking(90% sure) that if I do I will have problems. I like mine the way it is but am considering a pistol foregrip or one with rails for HD. What are your thoughts on the removal process? Thanks
Old July 20, 2011, 12:40 PM   #16
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Removal is easy and straight forward...

It is your gun to dress as you please but personally I learned thru trial and error that traditional shotgun stocks (front and rear) provide me the greatest retention ability along with the most versatility regarding various holds for firing it... as for rails... I am a duct tape sort of guy. Last gun I had a light on was my single shot 12 gauge. I used a pair of conduit hangers bolted together... one the size of the barrel and one that clamped on my 6 cell maglight... It was not for hd... just for shootin' a coon from a tree.

Brent