The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 23, 2017, 11:43 PM   #1
Cosmodragoon

Is the PK380 really junk and why no SR380?

Reviews on both the Walther P22 and PK380 have been mixed. Between that and looking over these supposedly Umarex-made guns in person, I just couldn't do it. I was sad because I really wanted to like them. The ergonomics are good. I love the size. They're nicely compact for carry but still handle and perform like larger guns in larger calibers. So help me out. Do you have experience with the PK380? Any issues with reliability? Does needing a tool for takedown ever bug you? Would you trust your life with it, or your wife's or daughter's?

You'll notice I'm not asking about the P22. Setting aside any questions about using .22 LR for defense, it's because Ruger released the SR22. It's a similar gun that fills the same niche. It looks better and seems to be less risky of an investment. It has me wondering. Why hasn't Ruger stepped up to "fix" the PK380 like it did the P22? Yeah, they're making other guns in .380 right now but wouldn't an SR380 be sweet?
Old February 24, 2017, 01:36 PM   #2
carguychris

If you search my past comments on PK380 threads, you will clearly see that yes, I think they ARE that bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmodragoon
Does needing a tool for takedown ever bug you?
Yes, it would seriously bug me.

According to the Walther forum, one can actually use a $4.99 tire valve stem tool from Napa Auto Parts, and it actually engages the latch BETTER than the flimsy Walther tool, BUT this effectively disables the feature whereby the latch must be turned back to the assembled position before you can remove the tool. This latter point is potentially serious because the gun will physically stay together with the latch in the disassembly position as long as it's not fired, but if you DO fire it this way, it will spontaneously disassemble itself with considerable force. The takeway: be VERY careful to always turn the latch back if you're not using the Walther tool!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmodragoon
...[Ruger is] making other guns in .380 right now but wouldn't an SR380 be sweet?
Perhaps, but they may be concerned that it would cut into sales of the LC380, which is a slow seller as I understand it. Additionally, if the LC380 is selling as poorly as I think it is while LCP's are flying off the shelves, they have legitimate reason to be concerned about the market potential of an SR380.
Old February 25, 2017, 07:14 AM   #3
Brian48

I had a PK380. Was very disappointed in it. Was just not very reliable even with ball. Eventually just sold it off.
Old February 25, 2017, 01:10 PM   #4
Red-5

I use mine as a paperweight. Probably the biggest piece of junk I had ever purchased.

While Walther was good about returning for service, after the 4th trip back, still had nothing but problems, I gave up.
Old February 26, 2017, 07:58 AM   #5
cc-hangfire

I have the PK380 & the P22 (& BTW, a PPK/S, a P38, and a bunch of other handguns from SIGs, Berettas, XD's, Glocks, to Kel Tecs, & even 1 High Point).

My sample of one PK380 has been reliable so far - I purchased it used & have shot about 200 rounds through it so far. I got it for my wife, a small aging woman with diminishing hand strength, because it:
a) fits her hand,
b) has lighter recoil than 9mm's that fit her hand size,
c) is hands down the easiest semiauto to rack, &
d) has the same manual of arms as the P22, her favorite range gun.
I wish she would prefer the SIG P238 I have for her (which is the 2nd easiest slide to rack that I've found), but she'll use what she likes.

Is it a military grade handgun? No.
Will it last as long as a Glock before some part breaks & needs repair? No.
Is it reliable & accurate? Mine is so far.
Is it a pain to field strip? Kind of, although it's not nearly as bad as a Ruger Mark II, or a Remington 51 (the 1915 model, not the new R51)

To me it's about the same build level as some of the Kel Tecs. Functional, minimalistic build (thinner, lighter metal, lots of plastic, may be ammo finicky or may need a higher level of maintenance/lube/fluff&buff).

Saying they're a POS is like saying the the Ford Focus is a POS cause it's not a BMW 500 series. They're built for different purposes, but both will haul you from point A to point B.

Last edited by cc-hangfire; February 26, 2017 at 08:41 AM.
Old February 26, 2017, 02:21 PM   #6
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

I once handled an Walther PK380 and it felt Overall cheap.
The ergonomics are awesome but all is very plasticky.

The slide Metall and other controls look like pot metal and controls are all Plastik.
If there are Metall parts those are quiete thin and fit and finish is not that great.

Benefits of the PK380 are ergonomic grips and very easily racked slide.

Tags
p22 , pk380 , sr22 , sr380