The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 6, 2021, 05:10 AM   #26
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris downs View Post
God help me, but these things are so darn pretty:

https://heritagemfg.com/small-bore/6-shot-rough-rider

I saw that safety thing. I think I can live with that. There are all sorts of stuff available to customize the gun. And I saw my LGS has lots of room in their asking price.

Please tell me why I should buy a different single action.
If you like it get it, you wont be disappointed. A lot of us grew up around six guns and that safety is an abomination to us.
Old April 6, 2021, 06:12 AM   #27
CajunBass

See, and I'm the other way. The safety is a non-issue to me, but then so is the S&W lock. It's just there. No big deal either way. And I've been around since Harry Truman was president.

Over the years I've owned S&W, Colt, Ruger, Heritage, Dan Wesson, and probably some others I don't remember. 22's of course. They've all worked just as expected. Some are nicer than other, you can usually tell by the price, but they've all worked.

Which one? Just depends on how much money you want to spend. On the top end, the S&W 17 and 18 are hard to beat (along with their stainless cousin). On the low end, the Wranglers I've used probably worked just as well, just weren't as nice. On the other hand, I don't care if they get scratched. Scratch a S&W or a Colt and I might cry.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old April 6, 2021, 06:32 AM   #28
Carl the Floor Walker

The safety of the Heritage is a non-issue for me. These are not carry guns. Much ado about nothing. These are just plinkers, no need to spend a lot of money and the Heritage does come for little cost with a Magnum cylinder which I find fun to shoot as well adds different rounds if used for hunting or what else you many want to do with it. And yes, I do not care if it gets scratched up. Bought one on a whim and was surprised to see it was much better quality than I expected.
The Heritage was one of the first firearms I used to teach my young son to shoot. And I know many others that used this gun for the same purpose. And many actually appreciate the safety for that reason.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; April 6, 2021 at 06:40 AM.
Old April 6, 2021, 12:52 PM   #29
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Why buy a different SA? To get adjustable sights without a 9" barrel.
(ok, after doing a search I found a 6.5" barrel adj sight model...)

With an MSRP of $226 the Heritage looks like a sweet deal.
Old April 6, 2021, 01:10 PM   #30
chris downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
On the top end, the S&W 17 and 18 are hard to beat (along with their stainless cousin). On the low end, the Wranglers I've used probably worked just as well, just weren't as nice. On the other hand, I don't care if they get scratched. Scratch a S&W or a Colt and I might cry.
A used and scratched Smith at a marked down price is sounding interesting to me.
Old April 6, 2021, 03:16 PM   #31
WyMark

My Ruger SP101 .22 is nothing but a good time. Just took it out yesterday as time and weather finally came together for me. I pretty much only shoot it single action though, the double action on the SP101 is pretty tough. Dinging steel knock downs at 30-35 yards is always good for a smile.
Old April 6, 2021, 03:42 PM   #32
mrt949

SP101 YES
Old April 6, 2021, 05:43 PM   #33
Bayou

This is what $200 bought brand new in 1999 - Taurus model 970 Tracker seven shot 22. It’s a very good shooter and is worth recommending if you come across one. I have no experience with any other Taurus (I have read about the current quality control issues), but this is one I can say does what it was designed to do. This particular model is out of production.

Pics:

Bayou

Bayou
NRA Life Member
"Keep Calm and Reload"
Old April 6, 2021, 06:02 PM   #34
stinkeypete

As a first revolver, I don’t see how anyone could argue with a Heritage or Ruger Wrangler.

These are the kind of economical, just plain fun, reliable, basic revolver that will last several lifetimes.
Old April 6, 2021, 08:07 PM   #35
rodfac

I'd go with a Ruger Single Six...used if you can find one...new if not. It's a quality handgun that you'll never part with....great for training your kids or someone else's and fun for yourself. With the Single Six, you get adjustable sights....makes sighting in a breeze and you're hitting where you're looking.

Too, I prefer the 4-5/8" bbl. on Rugers for its ease of packing when seated in a car, truck, tractor, 4x4 etc. The 5.5" ones stick down a bit too far when holstered in an OWB.

The Convertible model makes sense if you need to rid your barn of coons or possums too. And accuracy with the three that have passed through our family's hands over rthe past decades, has been outstanding...2" or less at 25 yds with most ammunition, better some like Mini-Mags.

Pic below is a New Model Single Six with both mags...the stocks are fiddle back maple I made up some time ago.

Best regards, Rod

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old April 6, 2021, 09:50 PM   #36
GarandTd

There's nothing wrong with the Heritage Rough Rider. My example rivals my Ruger MKIII target pistol for accuracy.
It's got a nice heft to it, decent looking real wood grips, and some blued steel. I bought mine to use the 22 ammo that didn't play nicely with my semi-autos. I don't regret the purchase. No, it isn't as nice as a Single Six, but it is 1/2 the price.
Old April 6, 2021, 10:06 PM   #37
Siggy-06

If you want something a bit different and lightweight but still very shoot-able, look at the NAA Mini Master and Black Widow. I have a NAA Sheriff and love it(in 22 wmr).
Old April 6, 2021, 10:09 PM   #38
Cheapshooter

Quote:
The Heritage has that silly cross-bolt type safety (which is there because import rules require some sort of safety and that's their solution, but for me it's a deal breaker). j
Nope, probably just some lawyer/bean counter idiot idea!

Quote:
Ideal for hunting, plinking or western action shooting, let the Rough Rider be your choice in a new rimfire revolver. Proudly made in the USA, all Heritage revolvers combine quality with affordability.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old April 7, 2021, 12:45 AM   #39
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter
Nope, probably just some lawyer/bean counter idiot idea!
No, import regulations require a manual safety device of some kind. That's why the Italian SAA clones have base pins with two positions. Push the base pin in to the second notch and let the latch secure it there, and the aft end protrudes far enough to prevent the hammer from firing a shot.

Heritage (or whoever makes the guns for Heritage) chose to go with the horizontal sliding hammer block safety.
Jeepaholic
Old April 7, 2021, 04:16 AM   #40
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
The Heritage has that silly cross-bolt type safety (which is there because import rules require some sort of safety and that's their solution, but for me it's a deal breaker). I think the Ruger Wrangler is an ugly gun, and there's no magnum cylinder option, but I would choose a Wrangler over a Heritage just because of the safety issue.
Uh,... the Heritage revolvers are manufactured in the United States, there are no import rules that require the safety because they're not imported. Even if they were, safeties are not required on revolvers, just some method that doesn't allow the revolver to fire if dropped or something hits the hammer when it's at rest.
Old April 7, 2021, 04:46 AM   #41
TruthTellers

Quote:
God help me, but these things are so darn pretty:

https://heritagemfg.com/small-bore/6-shot-rough-rider

I saw that safety thing. I think I can live with that. There are all sorts of stuff available to customize the gun. And I saw my LGS has lots of room in their asking price.

I wouldn't because the safety thing is overblown and an easy excuse people make to justify not purchasing one because they want to bloviate about "materials" used or the design as a way to say they're junk without saying it directly.

The only issue I've had with mine is a screw fell out and I lost it at the range. To make sure that didn't happen again, I used some blue loctite on all the screws. I know, the horror I had to spend time doing that shows how terrible Heritage is, but had it happened to a Ruger it would have been excused as "things happen, nobody is perfect."

I would recommend the adjustable sight models, you will enjoy being able to hit what you're aiming at and not having to hold off target with the traditional fixed sights.

If you really want the traditional sights, Heritage does make a steel frame model, the
SRR22MBS4.
Old April 7, 2021, 04:55 AM   #42
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy-06 View Post
If you want something a bit different and lightweight but still very shoot-able, look at the NAA Mini Master and Black Widow. I have a NAA Sheriff and love it(in 22 wmr).
I like them for their size and weight, but as shooter's they're not going to be as accurate because spur triggers are garbage for accurate shooting.
Old April 7, 2021, 06:19 AM   #43
GarandTd

The safety on a Heritage Rough Rider gives you the ability to dry fire the revolver with considerably less concern for damaging the revolver.

Like Truthtellers, the only problem I've ever had with mine was some screws coming loose. In my case, the ejector shroud along the barrel fell off. I was in the woods, but because I was carrying in an unconventional way, the parts were not lost...luckily. After that happened, l used lock tite on the shroud screw and a couple others and haven't had a problem since.

One of my biggest gripes about the Heritage is the paint on the frame. It doesn't look bad, but, IIRC, the manual warns about solvents damaging the frame finish. I always worry about that when I clean it.

Last edited by GarandTd; April 7, 2021 at 06:28 AM.
Old April 7, 2021, 06:51 AM   #44
Hawg

275.00 out the door about 8 months ago.

Old April 7, 2021, 06:54 AM   #45
CajunBass

Quote:
A used and scratched Smith at a marked down price is sounding interesting to me.
Well, yea. If it's already scratched up that's one thing. I just don't want to be the one to scratch it.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old April 7, 2021, 08:48 AM   #46
Proffer

I would agree regarding the Ruger sp101. Nice, solid, reliable...I don't have a lot of 22's...but if I had to keep just one, it would be that one.

That's not to say that if I could get my hands on an older Smith or Colt, I wouldn't hang onto it just for "investment" purposes. But as a "working" gun, I'd still have to go with my Ruger.
Old April 7, 2021, 09:35 AM   #47
rodfac

Hawg, good buy on a great revolver...I'd be interested in a range report on accuracy. That long bbl. really helps as do the adj. sights. Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old April 7, 2021, 10:33 AM   #48
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers
Uh,... the Heritage revolvers are manufactured in the United States, . . .
I sit corrected. I thought the rimfires were imported.

To me, that makes the safety even more intolerable and inexcusable.
Jeepaholic
Old April 7, 2021, 10:52 AM   #49
highpower3006

K22 Masterpiece.

Old April 7, 2021, 02:35 PM   #50
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfac View Post
Hawg, good buy on a great revolver...I'd be interested in a range report on accuracy. That long bbl. really helps as do the adj. sights. Best Regards, Rod
I'm not a paper puncher but it will nail fired 12 gauge shotgun shells at 30 feet and Coke cans at 25 yards. I haven't shot it much past that.