The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 25, 2019, 07:23 PM   #26
reynolds357

Not extreme for a 270 win. They fall off horrendously from 24" to 22".
Old November 25, 2019, 10:07 PM   #27
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Ammo manufactures have to deal with chamber pressures in all types of weaponry that may or may not meet SAAMI chamber industry standards. So that tells we American shooters can never buy cartridge/s that exceed SAAMI {safety}pressures. Although.
with a little experimentation? _ maybe~just maybe a home-loader can attain that 3200 fps velocity factor with their 130 gr hand load?__
Old November 25, 2019, 10:38 PM   #28
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sure Shot Mc Gee View Post
Ammo manufactures have to deal with chamber pressures in all types of weaponry that may or may not meet SAAMI chamber industry standards. So that tells we American shooters can never buy cartridge/s that exceed SAAMI {safety}pressures. Although.
with a little experimentation? _ maybe~just maybe a home-loader can attain that 3200 fps velocity factor with their 130 gr hand load?__
3200 is Pretty easy to do with a lapped 26" barrel.
Old November 26, 2019, 12:09 PM   #29
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Not extreme for a 270 win. They fall off horrendously from 24" to 22".
Old November 26, 2019, 01:59 PM   #30
Bart B.

Are your barrel's bore, groove and chamber dimensions plus powder, primer and case lots, the same as those used to develop the load data you reference?

If not, there'll be a wide range of velocity numbers. Several of us shooting the same rifle and ammo will get different average velocities. Sometimes over 50 fps.
Old November 26, 2019, 02:02 PM   #31
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357 View Post
3200 is Pretty easy to do with a lapped 26" barrel.
SAAMI does it with 24" barrels at normal maximum pressure of 65,000 psi.
Old November 26, 2019, 04:28 PM   #32
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B. View Post
SAAMI does it with 24" barrels at normal maximum pressure of 65,000 psi.
Yep, confirms its real easy with a 26.
Old November 26, 2019, 04:29 PM   #33
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
Old November 26, 2019, 05:06 PM   #34
Paul B.

"In my experience shooting factory loads they are usually at least 100 fps slower than advertised in my rifles. Sometimes more."

That's true. A few years back I ran a test of some Winchester 180 gr.Power Point ammo over a chronograph. I ran three shots each from 22", 24" and 26" barrel and the results were interesting. The 22" rifle did almost exactly 2600 FPS, the 24" barrel 2635 FPS and the 26" barrel 2710 FPS. The only rifle that came close to advertised velocity was from the 26" Barreled Ruger #1B.

FWIW, I've used the "sight in 3" high at 100 yards" for so long and it has always worked just fine for me. I shoot either the 150 gr. Sierra Game King or Nosler Partition from my .270 sighted in that way and a hold center chest has always brought home the venison for me out past 250/300 yards.
Paul B.
Old December 8, 2019, 10:50 PM   #35
Pathfinder45

Referring back to your original post, Jersey Joe, A few things come to my mind:
It seems that your rifle shoots pretty well for you with factory-loaded Remington CorLokt ammo. If that's what you will continue to use, then forget about numbers in the books, computer programs, or even chronograph results. It is what it is; live with it and trouble your mind no further. However, there is one important consideration, and that is to go out and verify your actual trajectory with the rifle zeroed at the distance of your choice and worry no more about the way things are supposed to be. It is what it is.

If that's not good enough for you, you could try some of the more premium lines of ammo, or, if you are cut out for it, take up hand-loading your ammo.
Reloading/handloading, .......umm,.... it's not for everyone, but it works for me.

You are probably getting less than 2900 fps with your factory ammo. But if the accuracy is good, then so what? Sure, your 22" barrel could be safely handloaded using optimal powders to get 3100 fps using 130 grain bullets. Maybe even a bit more; but will it be as accurate? Ahh, the quest for the perfect load begins! But where will it end? Maybe never.

I began reloading for the 270 Winchester back in 1973 and still do so. I have a magic recipe for my current 270, but, being hopelessly experimental, I am still dabbling with different brands and weights of bullets and a wide range of powders....There is no end to it except the quest itself.

It's like the prospector who strikes a good gold find.....delighted for the moment, he soon sells it to a real mining outfit, and with a fresh grubstake, continues his quest for the real Eldorado. He's no miner; he's a prospector!

You could just go buy a box of shells, go deer hunting, forget all this non-sense, and bring home some venison. Ignorance really can be bliss. But if you open Pandora's box, you'll find yourself laying awake some nights thinking of some innovative combination of components that you simply must put to the test. As the disease progresses, you'll find that it turns around and it actually can help you to fall asleep if you just stop thinking about what you are obligated to do this week, and simply focus on the loads you will prepare for your next opportunity to shoot. See; have I not warned you?
Old December 9, 2019, 12:07 PM   #36
stagpanther

Gotta call em like I see em--IMO Remmie makes the worst factory ammo of any US manufacturer in my experience. Probably has more to do with quality control than the bullets themselves--though as a hand-loader I generally steer away from their brass as well. They make only one product that's of any interest to me--and that's their golden saber pistol bullets--they remain high quality.

All that said--last year on a whim I bought several off the shelf .270 win factory budget cartridges just to see how they compared; Hornady's American whitetail, winchester's extreme point, remmie's core lokt and federal's power shok. They all did well enough out to 300 yds in target shots that I think any of them would drop a deer--American Whitetail and Winnie's extreme points taking top honors for consistency and accuracy.

Lucky for the OP I have some of the remmie stuff left over and have no interest in using it in the woods--so I'll oblige him next time I'm out with my labradar shooting out of my Ruger American.
Old December 9, 2019, 12:38 PM   #37
jimbob86

Quote:
I would generally expect a 22" 270 to be 150 fps slower than a 24".
Maybe around 100f/sec, if one was using a very slow powder .... something in a middling burn rate, might be as little as 25-50 f/sec, all else being equal ..... I duuno what Remington is using for a propellant in that load...... I'd guess something mid-range and forgiving and CHEAP.
Old December 9, 2019, 11:33 PM   #38
Pathfinder45

The highest velocity within safe pressure limits

Since I have loaded the 270 for decades, I have learned a little more about it than most other calibers, though there is always more to learn. For quite a while now, I have narrowed the field of bullet weights down to just 3, i.e., 130 grain, 140 grain, and 150 grain. I've shot other weights, but I feel that I lack sufficient experience with those others to have anything to say authoritatively.
That being said, I've shot plenty of ammo in the three most common weights, some factory ammo, but probably 95% handloads. I've carefully danced on that red-line and occasionally put just one foot slightly over to find the limits of safety. The conclusions that I have come to seem to indicate that with optimum propellants, I can expect to achieve the following velocities from my 24" barreled model 70 Winchester:
  • 130 grain bullets ..................3,200 fps.
  • 140 grain bullets ..................3,100 fps.
  • 150 grain bullets ..................3,000 fps.

These would be maximum loads using optimal powders; with sub-optimal powders, excessive pressures would manifest their symptoms before these velocities could be reached. With a 22" barrel, these figures should be reduced by a full 100 fps. My experiments were conducted using a chronograph, which you really don't need if you are willing to stay away from maximum loads. Some rifles will exhibit excess pressures at slower speeds no matter what you try.
I have gone over these figures at times.... Most notable was when I was getting 3,285 fps with 140 grain bullets. All seemed well and good; the cases and primers looked right, no sticky bolt-lift, etc. so I loaded the cases again with the same recipe and apparently the same results,....until I went to load them a third time and found that half of the cases took the fresh primers awfully easy. I found that I could fully seat new primers on several of these cases with my bare hands. The conclusion I reached is that the pressure was way too high and that the first indication was not loose primer pockets, but rather, it was the velocity itself.
Factory ammo is made to be safe in every rifle of that caliber. Thus, it usually only matches their listed velocity in those few rifles with minimum chamber and bore specs. Each rifle is at least a little different than the next. My brother had a 270 with the barrel cut to 20" for a saddle scabbard. His rifle was always around 200 fps faster than my 24" barrel because of minimal chamber dimensions. Loads that were completely safe in my rifle were way over-pressure in his. Factory loads did everything they were supposed to do, in his rifle only, but not mine.
Old December 10, 2019, 03:21 PM   #39
stagpanther

Just got back--conditions were actually quite good for winter in Maine--50 degrees and very humid. Here's what I got for the last 8 130 corelokt cartridges I had out of my ruger American with 22" barrel. No ways near as good as the Hornady or Winchester ammo, though I'd probably shoot it "minute of deer" out to 150 yds or so, but I personally wouldn't use it much past that with confidence.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg remmie 130 corelokt 270 win.jpg (68.1 KB, 153 views)
Old December 10, 2019, 08:30 PM   #40
jimbob86

Thanks, stag .... helps me appreciate how much better handloads can be than lowest bidder stuff ....
Old December 10, 2019, 10:48 PM   #41
Pathfinder45

These days, it seems almost everybody and their dog has a chronograph. Back in the days before such technology reached the common man, we just took it on faith that the ammo charts in the catalogs were at lest close to their claims. We couldn't really know and neither could the deer. Still, we believed we could make better ammo, and cheaper, right at home. And we sure did, still not knowing what our actual velocities were.
Old December 11, 2019, 06:35 AM   #42
stagpanther

It's just a tool, but a very useful one for me. Does it guarantee "the best load?" Nope, but it sure assists in the search. Between it, quickload and manufacturer's published data it's another way to cross-check results--especially useful when wandering off into wildcats for which little to no published data may exist.
Old December 11, 2019, 06:40 AM   #43
stagpanther

Quote:
Thanks, stag .... helps me appreciate how much better handloads can be than lowest bidder stuff ....
I was waiting to see if anyone noticed time between shots and said something like "now wait a sec, does that uneven time between shots affect barrel conditions such that it could be a factor in the consistencies?"
Old December 11, 2019, 10:32 AM   #44
emcon5

Wow, were they from the same box/lot? ES and SD are horrible.
Old December 11, 2019, 10:48 AM   #45
jimbob86

Quote:
I was waiting to see if anyone noticed time between shots and said something like "now wait a sec, does that uneven time between shots affect barrel conditions such that it could be a factor in the consistencies?"
The minute or so between shots for 8 rounds should not make a huge difference ..... now if you cranked off a dozen on a cold day in a mad minute and then left one in the chamber for a minute, I'd expect a higher velocity from the higher powder temp ....
Old December 11, 2019, 11:37 AM   #46
jersey joe

Thank you all especially stag for posting stats that confirmed my initial suspicion.
Old December 11, 2019, 01:10 PM   #47
stagpanther

Quote:
Wow, were they from the same box/lot? ES and SD are horrible.
Yes--same box.
Quote:
The minute or so between shots for 8 rounds should not make a huge difference ..... now if you cranked off a dozen on a cold day in a mad minute and then left one in the chamber for a minute, I'd expect a higher velocity from the higher powder temp ....
My reasoning as well.
Quote:
Thank you all especially stag for posting stats that confirmed my initial suspicion.
Glad to be of service.

I also may have had the "luck of the draw" for getting a bad batch--I have a stunning knack for purchasing defects in my firearms adventures. LOL Last year I bought a box of 45-70 federal stuff from a local GS--had trouble getting the cartridges to chamber; came to find out they were literally bent. Local GS said no way refund once ammo went out the door.

Last edited by stagpanther; December 11, 2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old December 11, 2019, 02:12 PM   #48
jimbob86

Quote:
Last year I bought a box of 45-70 federal stuff from a local GS--had trouble getting the cartridges to chamber; came to find out they were literally bent.
Bought some "Ultramax" 9mm "remanufactured" ammo at a range for an IDPA shoot once - bullet runout was so bad 1 in 3 would not chamber .....
Old December 11, 2019, 06:57 PM   #49
Catman42

when we cryo treated my sons 270 he got 100 ft. persecond faster out of the barrel. the shorter the bullet the faster it will go and the more accurate it will be. commercial barrels never have the perfect twist for longer bullets as a custom barrel would. for my sons 270 i loaded 90 grain 270 bullets for 3100 ft per second and it was very very accurate. same with a neighbors 25/06. a 90 grain bullet. if you want a one hole gun get a custom barrel made for the bullet you want to shoot. cryo your barrel it will go faster for the slickness that comes from it.
Old December 12, 2019, 12:56 AM   #50
Pathfinder45

Well, we know what we know, and often-times what we think we know is based upon the limitations of our own experience. The standard rifling twist rate for the 270 Winchester is one turn in ten inches and the caliber was originally intended for 130 grain bullets.
My current 270 shoots most everything into about 1-1/2 inches for 5 shots at 100 yards, maybe 1-1/4" at best. At 300 yards all of the most promising hundred-yard recipes have destabilized into 10" or 12" or 16" groups. Why don't I get rid of it?
Well, one of those unremarkable 1-1/2" hundred yard recipes does something funny at 300 yards.... 5 shots into 2-3/8" to 2-1/2".... I'm not entirely sure why this one load shoots sub-minute of angle at 300 when it won't at 100, but I'm happy with it.
The bullet is 150 grain Nosler Partition driven by enough Norma N-205 powder to hover right around 3,000 fps. This powder is long discontinued, what, 40 odd years ago? One of my goals is to work up an otherwise identical load using Norma MRP to see if I can duplicate the performance that I get with N-205, since I have a limited supply of it.
I've shot this over a chronograph against another fellows 7mm Remington Magnum and it left me wondering why one would sacrifice magazine capacity for a 7mm magnum that can easily be matched by a hand-loaded 270 or 30-'06. Of course, you could handload that 7mm magnum too, and finally get what you paid for.