The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 12, 2010, 04:19 PM   #26
GunsAreGood

oneounceload no problem at all. Like it has been said if you can get a replacement barrel for your Mossberg that would probably be good. You will already be familiar with the gun and be very proficient with all the controls. I would not give my 870 up for anything and do not suggest Mossberg over Remington's very much. Not because of quality or anything like that it is just personal preference so Mossberg fans save your breath or should I say fingers in this situation. If you are looking for a reason to buy another gun than I would suggest a 870. PJR
Quote:
I frequently read on the Internet about the guys who brag and boast how they humiliate guys with more expensive guns. Read about it often, rarely see it happen at the range.
I never said I humiliate guys with more expensive guns I was just saying that I will shoot as well or better than some guys with high end guns. I do not go out to the trap range and shoot better than everybody. A lot of the guys with high end shotguns are shooting many more clays than me. But there are some that are not. Yes expensive gear has its advantages but not enough to make you a great shooter by just owning it.

If guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns
Old March 12, 2010, 05:55 PM   #27
dropthehammer

Bottom line is, you get what you pay for. A quality used over/under with screw in chokes will never lose value if well cared for. In most cases it will be worth more. Yes, the initial investment is more, but should your interests change, sell it and don't lose a dime. There are not alot of toys that hold their value as well as a quality used gun. Gotta warn you though, once you develop a taste for quality guns, its a hard habit to break. I know, I've been an addict for almost 30 years.
Old March 12, 2010, 06:23 PM   #28
LanceOregon

Quote:
They ( Mossberg 930 ) are below $500 and are every bit as good as any of the autoloders metioned so far....
That statement would even make a horse laugh.

Old March 12, 2010, 07:30 PM   #29
REL1203

Quote:
Why is that?
Old March 12, 2010, 09:22 PM   #30
Smitty in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by REL1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceOregon
Why is that?
Either ignorance or "blind" brand loyalty, he's obviously never used one or he wouldn't make such rediculous comment...

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old March 12, 2010, 10:02 PM   #31
Dr. Strangelove

You're probably better spending some money on ammuntion and targets practicing than buying a new shotgun at this point.

At my range, most, if not all, members will gladly let you use their shotgun if you see one you may like. Try a few and see what tickles your fancy...
Old March 13, 2010, 09:05 AM   #32
AZwarts

What is wrong with using a pump? I use a pump all the time and I can can smoke them just as good ( when I hit them) as the other guys... All I use is a Remington 870
Old March 13, 2010, 09:31 AM   #33
swmp9jrm

If you're okay with a pump, try out the Browning BPS Trap. Reasonable price, Browning quality, 30" barrel, and nicely set up for trap.
Old March 13, 2010, 12:33 PM   #34
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsAreGood
Quote:
I frequently read on the Internet about the guys who brag and boast how they humiliate guys with more expensive guns. Read about it often, rarely see it happen at the range.
I never said I humiliate guys with more expensive guns I was just saying that I will shoot as well or better than some guys with high end guns. I do not go out to the trap range and shoot better than everybody. A lot of the guys with high end shotguns are shooting many more clays than me. But there are some that are not. Yes expensive gear has its advantages but not enough to make you a great shooter by just owning it.
You didn't mention how your 870 skeet scores measure up. Most of the clay sports require a quick second shot, and pump guns are not well suited for a quick second shot. The OP wants to know about a skeet/trap gun. His experience is so limited he doesn't yet realize the two sports have different requirements typically calling for two different guns. He's going to be busy enough on the skeet field learning the fundamentals, unnecessarily shucking a pump shouldn't be part of the exercise. To recommend a pump gun for target work other than trap is a disservice.
Old March 13, 2010, 01:38 PM   #35
salber01

A $300 gun that fits you is much more important than a $1000 gun that doesn't. Since a shotgun has no rear sight you must be able to get your eye to align along the barrel properly. Your size and how you mount the gun are deciding factors in this, so finding a gun you can sight down the barrel comfortably is important.

Some of the big name guns now have shims or adjustable stocks on even there lower grade guns so this isn't necessarily an expensive thing anymore. For example Mossberg makes shims for the 500/590 stock to change the angle of the stock and these are available from places like ebay and brownells for $5-$15

http://www.archerymarket.com/store/p...-Spacer-Systm/

Last edited by salber01; March 13, 2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old March 13, 2010, 01:44 PM   #36
oneounceload

Zippy makes excellent points about second shots. I have seen a few folks who can work a pump like it's a semi, but those folks are few and far between on the courses I frequent.

Trap singles notwithstanding, a pump CAN be used for skeet, trap doubles, and sporting, although it is, IMO, not the best choice for being successful.

IMO, for sporting, where the two targets tend to be different from each other, I prefer the O/U so I can utilize two different chokes as necessary.

As also mentioned earlier - try as many as you can to see what feels right to you
Old March 13, 2010, 04:26 PM   #37
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Some good advice here, but let me ask.....

What are your goals?

If it's to end up in the Hall of Fame of either Trap or Skeet, a mission specific shotgun would be the best choice. Most folks like autos or O/Us for this.

Or, if you just want to have fun while getting better as a shotgunner, using a shotgun similar to your defensive tool so the "Chops" are the same and practice with one is practice with the other makes an awful lot of sense.

If you can splatter a pair of clays moving on different trajectories at different speeds with a 500 in very short time frames, hitting larger, slower, closer things that are dangerous with your 590 WHEN IT REALLY IS IMPORTANT TO DO SO becomes easier.

I use 870s for defense here. I also use them for fun. I've shot thousands of rounds from them at sundry fast things from clays to landfill rats and know the platform like my tongue knows my teeth.

And I have out shot folks with high end shotguns using an 870, just not consistently. And my standard clay shooter these days is a well broken in Beretta O/U.

BTW, the folks with the high end, mission specific gamer guns are rarely snobs.

Mostly, the possession of same doesn't indicate snobbery but commitment...

In your shoes, I'd get a new or used 500 with choke tubes and go wear it out.

HTH....
Old March 13, 2010, 05:25 PM   #38
mwar410

buy a good semi-auto, 1100 have been proven, the 390's are nice and alot of shooters prefer them over the 391's (the real 390's), and the 391's are good guns. The 391's had a few bad years, but for the most part they are the standard in competition (as far as semi's)
Skeet is a game of perfection. there is alot to combine if your planning to be competetive, why complicate your learning process with shucking a pump. Some shooters are naturals but alot of us are not.
You'll be buying all kinds of guns once you start shooting more so you mine as well start with a semi. If you could get a 391 for $699 I'd buy it, ( I own 2 now).
Old March 13, 2010, 05:27 PM   #39
mwar410

i'm starting to not like posting and having to explain everyone of my opinions.
Old March 13, 2010, 05:31 PM   #40
GunsAreGood

Oneounceload

Quote:
Zippy makes excellent points about second shots. I have seen a few folks who can work a pump like it's a semi, but those folks are few and far between on the courses I frequent.

Trap singles notwithstanding, a pump CAN be used for skeet, trap doubles, and sporting, although it is, IMO, not the best choice for being successful.
You and zippy are completely correct in saying this. I did not consider that he would be shooting skeet and Trap doubles. I only shoot trap with my 870 so that is why I can compete with some of the guys with high end shotguns because I do not need a second shot.

Quote:
I prefer the O/U so I can utilize two different chokes as necessary.
I agree with this as well.

If guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns
Old March 13, 2010, 08:42 PM   #41
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McC
BTW, the folks with the high end, mission specific gamer guns are rarely snobs.
Mostly, the possession of same doesn't indicate snobbery but commitment…
Well said. Some of the nicest folks I know shoot with mission specific gamer guns.

I've made no secret that my favorite shotgun sport is Skeet. I've tried them all, and keep coming back to Skeet. In support of the sport, I try to encourage new shooters. At my club we dedicated a field for Skeet introduction. It included such things as hold point references (illegal in tournaments) foot positions painted on the pavement and graphics of the recommended leads at each presentation. These are basics that can be hard to learn if self-taught. I've coached new shooters who catch-on quickly with the single targets, but crash and burn at the double presentations because they're awkward shucking the cob. Rather than learning to pump proficiently or get an O/U or auto, they frequently just give up in frustration. Another potential Skeet enthusiast is lost to poor equipment selection. This is why I discourage pump guns for new shooters.
Old March 13, 2010, 08:55 PM   #42
krimmie

Anyone new to skeet can request all singles(at least where I shoot); when ready for doubles, go with doubles on report.
Old March 14, 2010, 12:34 PM   #43
crghss

Use your pump...

First off Skeet and Trap are two different animals that use different shotgun setups. Trap usually is "28-30 bbls w/ Full-Improved Modified chokes and heavier gun then skeet. Skeet uses "26-28 bbls with Cylinder or Skeet chokes. Skeet to me is a faster environment...field guns usually make good skeet guns.

I bring this up because most people shoot one or the other. Maybe now a days more people do crossover but in general heavy shooters stick to one. As someone mentioned what is your goal.

I'd use your current shotgun and see which you like the most Skeet or Trap. Then start planning on what you'd need. It can get expense once you start shooting a 100 clays a day. So see if your in it for the long haul before you start laying out money for a shotgun setup for just Trap/Skeet.

Before you all flame me about your Cousin's girlfriends Dad's best friend that use a 28 ga "24 XX-Full-choke. I'm talking generalities here just getting the guy started with basic information. If someone addressed the differences between the two earlier I'm sorry for the dredging it up.

I guess nobody uses Double-barrels (SxS) anymore. My skeet gun was a Double-barrel in 16 ga no choke. Killed a lot of Clays & Grouse with that thing.

Last edited by crghss; March 14, 2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old March 14, 2010, 01:26 PM   #44
oneounceload

While my friend Zippy is a dyed-in-the-wool Skeeter, I am not - I love Sporting Clays and FITASC (Just shot a tournament this morning). I shoot a 32" 12 gauge O/U if I want my best scores, and a 30" 20 gauge O/U for my next best scores. We have many shooters that shoot this monthly event, and O/Us and semis are what you see, not pumps or SxS.

Two quick shots are more readily accomplished in those sports with the semi or O/U.
Old March 14, 2010, 04:09 PM   #45
zippy13

1-oz
A 32-inch barreled O/U for FITASC !? -- Is that typical these days, or are you a memeber of BigJimP's longer barrel brigade?
Old March 14, 2010, 04:18 PM   #46
oneounceload

Zippy - I have also used it from a low gun mount for skeet - works great. Our FITASC can have some targets that take a long time in flight and can still be out there a ways......
Old March 14, 2010, 04:33 PM   #47
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The Maverick 88 with 18 inch cyl barrel is as good as any P or K gun on the field and better than any auto loader ever built...

They are just misunderstood, under rated or over looked by all them snob elmer fudd types...

Okay that was a sarcastic joke and not meant to be taken seriously...

It is these type of posts that get a poster called out as not knowing guns much at all...
Brent
Old March 14, 2010, 04:43 PM   #48
zippy13

Brent, I just heard via my cousin's girlfriend's dad's best friend that the M-88 with the 18-inch cyl bore barrel has been banned from competition because it gives the shooter an unfair advantage over the P and K gun shooters. I checked Snopes, but they have nothing, have you heard anything to substantiate this?
Old March 14, 2010, 04:59 PM   #49
noyes

It's starting to sound like the gun does it all and all by it's self. ?

No quality practice needed. ?

No commitment needed, blame the gun or ammo. ?

No shooter technique needed. ?

No skill development desired. ?

Last edited by noyes; March 14, 2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old March 14, 2010, 06:33 PM   #50
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Noyes, that is not the case at all... For instance I put junior onto the BMX track at age 4, I was low budget compared to many but at least he was on a job specific bike.

Those who showed up with a "Huffy" didn't stand a chance against the real race bike riders.

Just no way they could compete. No matter the practice or determination, a 20 pound bike with cheap bearings and the sort couldn't hang with a sub 12 pound bike with the skinny tires inflated to 110 psi rolling on sealed "abec 12" grade bearings.

Junior was on a highly modified (extensive drilling and other lightening work) entry level racer but he was competing against kids on $4,000 bikes made of titanium with carbon fiber forks and rims.

He still pulled off a second place season for his age for the entire state of florida.

Job specific is very helpful for the person to attain the best possible performance for their level of commitment. For a true test, take a single shot break barrel NEF to a doubles match and let me know how you do.

It ain't all about the gun but it ain't all about the shooter either.

Brent