The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 1, 2006, 05:14 AM   #1
boltgun71

Remington SPR 310?

Anyone own or handled on of these yet? They are the over and unders being imported by Remington. I've always wanted a remington over and under, just cant afford a 300 or 332. Wanted to know if the SPR 310's are any good. I know you get what you pay for, but with a MSRP of just over 500 bucks, they look pretty good. Curious what everyone here thinks of them.
Old September 5, 2006, 10:31 PM   #2
orbea_pro

I doubt it helps much but I constantly sing the praises of my SPR210 (their coach gun). I use my gun for sporting clays and I personally feel it runs circles around my friends guns (mainly Stoeger O/U). Simple safety (can be disabled), simple barrel selector (although the SPR310 is a little different), and solid design and all the benefits of a modern O/U in a classic coach gun style. I think the SPR line is worth your consideration if you haven't decided yet. Check out this link on ShotgunWorld if you want a few photos http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=84410.
Old February 12, 2008, 04:51 AM   #3
mykedeez

i have a 310 and its the last shotgun ill ever buy. you just cant beat what you get for the price
Old February 12, 2008, 08:47 AM   #4
island66

It ain't the prettiest gun on earth, but it seems to be very well built...very tight with really good steel. The Russians just don't appear to put the same amount of effort into fit and finish that the Italians or we Americans. I've talked to a lot of people that love theirs. Good luck!
Old February 12, 2008, 09:09 AM   #5
ebutler462

One thing you can be sure of: The Baikal's barrels are regulated. That is a requirement in their proofing process. They are inexpensive but much more expensive guns don't go through the regulation proofing that Bailkal requires.
Old February 12, 2008, 11:51 AM   #6
cxg231

As others have said, the 310 ain't pretty - but it seems to be built like a tank. I just bought one, and only have 100 rounds thru it, but I am pleased. The chrome-lined barrels are immaculate, the action is very tight (keep it lubed and it should loosen up to "normal" after a few hundred rounds). The overall balance is good for the price and the wood on the stock - is well - er - it's a $450 O/U.

I care about function over form, and this gun seems to have plenty of the former and not so much of the latter. IIRC the design of the action is based upon the tried-and-true design originally developed by Browning. And we all know that the Russians are very good at copying what works!

There is some debate on the quality control and long term durability of the 310, with some people having problems after a few hundred rounds, and other running 10,000 - 20,000 rounds through without a hiccup. That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again. There are more positive reviews out there than negative ones FWIW.

You can find lots more info here - just do a search for 310.
Old February 13, 2008, 02:23 PM   #7
BigDog454

I have one, great gun. Well suited for hunting and does well on skeet. Love the selective trigger and don't consider it too bad to look at. Will shoot right along on the skeet range with guys shooting brownings and rugers and not be embarased. Also it's very affordable.
Old August 13, 2009, 08:27 PM   #8
willthecowboy

Remington SPR310

Great low priced shotgun. Just make sure you buy the version that is threaded for changing the choke on the muzzle. Believe it or not, they still sell the ones with a fixed choke.
Old September 6, 2009, 12:41 PM   #9
Notsohappy

Problems

I bought a Remington 310 12 ga. two years ago, This weekend is only the second time I hunted with it, I had a problem the second shot wouldn't fire most of the weekend, I was pretty much hunting with a single barrel. Has any body else had this problem? I was so ticked off I almost thru my gun out on the side of the road going home.
Old October 8, 2009, 09:57 PM   #10
mmorici

Remington SPR 310

I just purchased this gun on 10/4/09, and I cannot say enough good things about it. For a general purpose gun you cannot go wrong for the price. I've already shot about 100 rounds thru it without any issues @ all.

Reference the last post about the gun only firing one of the 2 barrels, after first round is fired try flipping the safety on then back off, if it clears the problem there may be an issue with the mechanism inside reciever. I've noticed when dry firing the gun only the bottom barrel fires unless you switch the safety on then back off. ( I believe this is normal if unloaded )
To the
Old January 5, 2010, 07:42 PM   #11
Robber1778

Love mine

Just got my Remington SPR 310 for Christmas (12 gauge version). Took it out today for the first time. I have to say, I love this gun. It is a little heavier than more expensive models but its aim is true. I averaged 22 out 25 shots on 3 rounds of trap. Very accurate, and smooth firing.

I met another fellow there who has an older version (in the 20 gauge) who has been shooting his for a couple of years now. He also loves his gun. His girlfriend was able to shoot it with moderate accuracy.

As for the complaints that were posted on this forum that the gun is more function than beauty, that isn't completely true. While the gun does not have the finish if a Bernelli, the stock and forgrip are nicely stained and are nice looking. The break action on the gun is stiff (as many people commented on in this forum) but I can feel it already loosening up. I spend about 10-15 minutes a day working the action since Christmas.

While it is not as pretty as its more expensive cousins, I must say that I am very pleased with its performance and you can't beat the price. I would highly recommend this gun to anyone who wants a quality shotgun for a low out the door price.
Old January 6, 2010, 12:22 AM   #12
bigwrench

notsohappy

A lot of new o/u and sxs guns are cocked when broke open. When some guns are knew and the action is stiff it is commen for some to not brake them over far enough to cock both barrels.This may be the trouble with yours.
Old January 6, 2010, 10:10 AM   #13
glockorama

I've used mine for trap for several years with nary a problem. My friend, whose has a $1500 citori, is beginning to wonder why he spent $1500...

Still have not got around to disabling the auto-safety, but I will.
Old January 17, 2010, 10:57 PM   #14
rlm620

Remington SPR310

I bought this shot gun about 4 months ago and I have fires about 6 boxes of shells in it. Today I was shooting some clay targets when it jammed and would not open. I managed to get it open and reloaded however it would not fire. The trigger would not move. I got it home and took the butt stock off and looked at the trigger group and found the hammer for the lower barrel was cracked in two right where the set pin goes through. It's going to the gun smith.
Old January 18, 2010, 06:47 AM   #15
SCOTTYDOG

Wanted a 20 ga. o/u forever, just couldn't afford the high dollar guns. Got mine for $420 at local shop. Couldn't be happier with it so far. Did a little internal polishing to slick it up a bit. Great little upland bird gun. Mine has a cast off seen mostly on european shotguns. Are they all like that or is mine an exception.
Old May 22, 2010, 08:13 AM   #16
MrGee

Late to the party .. but i'll join in i just pic-up a used 310 from a fella that shoots tap an skeet so i can't tell you how many rounds its been shot.. i bought it to join the skeet league so i have about 18- 20 boxes i've shot already myself love the screw chokes too.. i wound up buying a mec loader as well
not a problem with the 310 so far.. except while cleaning ... i found a missing screw on the forend metal plus a lever an spring it was holding... figured [russian] i'm in for now... looked up in the little manual booklet Rem's phone #... called.. trouble free people to talk to.. less then 5 minutes parts were on the way .... fantastic.. beats buying a 7 or 800 $ gun in my book