The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 26, 2010, 03:41 PM   #1
orionshooter

Advice needed - new trap gun - A400 Unico??

Just got a full refund from Remington after sending them back my 105CTI for the third time (what a fiasco). I'm now looking to put that money right back on the world economy.

Whatever I end up with, it will be used for primarily for trap shooting with an occasional run on the skeet range. No hunting.

I have thoroughly enjoyed shooting and really like the feel of the Urika series and that's what I am leaning towards as a replacement gun. However, I just noticed a new gun in Beretta's lineup (A400 Unico) and have some questions.

The Unico is billed as a "field gun" and I'm curious as to what features makes a gun better for trap as opposed to field work. Put another way, why would the Unico be less preferable for a trap shooter than the Urika series??

One other question, what is the difference betweent the Urika and Urika 2 series of guns and is the higher price for the 2 series worth the investment.

Thanks gang
Old January 26, 2010, 04:42 PM   #2
oneounceload

The A400 Xplor is the replacement for the 39X series of guns.

The main difference between a field gun and a dedicated trap gun will be in the stock design. BigJimP can tell you about the parallel stock fit, etc. that trap guns utilize. This can work well if you're shooting with a premounted gun. Typically, in the field, you're not premounting a gun, so the lower comb tends to aid in that aspect.

Most trap guns are set to shoot a higher POI than your POA. This allows you to "float" the bird when shooting, as trap targets are shot on the rise.

Their UGB Excel was designed for International situations where folks like a semi, but safety concerns dictated a break open gun - thus their hybrid. I was able to shoot one a while ago when a writer was doing a field test - it is soft shooting - one of the softest shooting I have ever used; but it isn't cheap.

If you like the Urika, get it fitted to you and go smoke some targets. Beretta's seem to be THE choice for semi's when it comes to clay targets.
Old January 26, 2010, 07:41 PM   #3
lambertsteeth

Beretta is quickly falling out of favor in my area of the world. Reliability is the issue. More and more folks are going to Benelli.
I've had three different 391s had trouble with all 3. It was no shame for the first one. It was an early model, field grade. I shot the bejesus out of the gun. The other two, 1 391 sporting gold, 1 Teknys gold. The problems I have always had is fte. The Teknys was back to the factory 3 times. The last time, the customer service rep. asked me if I had a dremel tool, and proceeded to tell me how to grind on the inside of the barrel to fix the problem. I never saw the gun again. The did give me a very nice o/u to make me go away.
The reason I went into all of this is, I learned to stay away from new to the market guns. I now wait until they are on the market for several years before I even consider buying a $1800 shotgun.
I still kind of wish I had kept at least one of them. The solution to Beretta's trigger assy problems, is to buy a complete trigger group from Cole Gunsmithing up in New England. That is what most of the serious shooters around here do.
I've swithched to Benellis. One with 20,000 rounds, another with 6,000. No mechanical issues. It goes bang EVERY time.
Old January 28, 2010, 03:22 PM   #4
GunsAmerica Actual

Here is a video from SHOT show on the Xplor.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/video/pla...nel=17&vid=131
http://www.gunsamerica.com
Old January 28, 2010, 04:53 PM   #5
BigJimP

My personal gun / and the gun I think has the most adjustability - and a good all around gun for Skeet, Sporting Clays and bird hunting - is an Over Under, 30" barrels, with a parallel comb ( parallel to the rib ) and an adj comb insert. You can adjust the point of impact on a parallel comb gun / and if you shoot in a T shirt in the summer / double coats in the winter - as the thickness of clothing makes you move up or back on the comb ( where your face meets the comb ) on a parallel comb - the point of impact on a gun doesn't change. On an "angled comb" the point of impact may change 3 or 4 feet up or down at 30 yards ...which is not good.

For me that all around gun is a Browning Citori, XS Skeet model, 30" barrels, around 8 1/2 lbs. 12ga is the most versatile / but 20ga and even 28ga and .410's are availalble.
http://www.browning.com/products/cat...13&type_id=066

Some guns - like semi-autos have shims between receiver and stock / so you can change the angle / use adjustable stick on comb pads, etc .....or go to a parallel comb gun.

In terms of just a Trap gun - I go to a heavier gun, 10lbs, and longer barrels 32" - because there is less barrel movement left to right in Trap / and a heavier gun reduces recoil / swings and follows thru better. So for Trap - I like a Browning Citori XT Trap ......but if I could only have 1 gun to do everything it would be the XS Skeet 12ga.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...13&type_id=057

Another semi-auto with some adjustability is the Benelli Super Sport / synthetic stock, comfort tech recoil supression system in it, 30" barrel ... It has shims between receiver and stock / and changeable inserts in comb and butt pad. So you can change height of comb / length of pull ... I use the Super Sport as my bad weather gun / travel gun .... and I like it a lot for general shooting. If I travel, I don't want to take 4 or 5 guns / so I just take the Benelli - its ok for Trap, good for Skeet and Sporting and good in the field for doves, quail, etc ....does everything pretty well. The Benelli is an Inertia gun / not gas operated ...so it shoots a lot cleaner.

http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/index.php?specs

I think Beretta makes a decent gun / 391 series, the new series, etc ...but there are other gas guns on the market too ( Browning, etc ). Most all the big names in guns these days / especially Beretta and Browning are giving you a lot of gun for the money.

You didn't say what your budget was ??