The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 21, 2018, 01:35 AM   #1
stagpanther

Axis in 25-06

Yesterday I was visiting my preferred GS to pick up several AR lowers (primary arms had them on sale for $29 each last week) when, as usual, I perused his very fine collection of bolt and lever guns--my guy told me he had them on consignment for another shop that had gone out of business. Some of them were original production going back to the 1800's.

In particular, I've been very interested in a Mauser that looks to be in good but well-used condition that he wants $675 for. The only reason I've been hesitant to make an offer is that it's chambered in 458 win mag--I don't need another "big 5 dangerous game" rifle (already have a couple that theoretically fit the category) and also has the recoil of artillery piece.

Along side it was another rifle that interested me--mostly because it is chambered in 25-06; a caliber that's always been on my "high interest" list since I have a soft spot in my heart for 257 bullets.

My dealer told me it is a savage axis--and indeed it says as much on the barrel--and had only a handful of cartridges fired through it. The gun looks brand-new to me only the bolt face shows any obvious signs of use as far as I can tell.

What strikes me as unusual--for an axis "1" anyway--is that it's fitted with an accutrigger as well as a marvelous custom stock, the underside of the comb does not have the typical savage symbol, rather what appears to be an "MI" monogram. The buttpad is a Boyd's rubber one, but the stock itself doesn't look like one of their's to me--I' guessing that it was a custom aftermarket job. The scope is a low-end weaver--I've purchased many savage xp combo rifles in the past with these, which I usually replace with something better--even a prostaff is higher quality than these IMO.

I walked out the door with it for $375--I figured it was probably worth it even if the barrel was no good--which I highly doubt, after cleaning and inspecting it it looks only very lightly used.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25-06-savage.jpg (99.3 KB, 709 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; June 21, 2018 at 01:53 AM.
Old June 21, 2018, 04:10 AM   #2
std7mag

That is a nice find, and a decent price IMO.

If it has the Accutrigger it is an Axis II. At least from my previous research on the Axis lineup. Anyways i'd just look at it as an added bonus.

I've been looking at one or 2 myself. Wish they chambered it in 257 Weatherby.
I had thought of buying a Vangard in 257 WM, but was a quick thought. With my bias against Howa maybe i'll have to ream out an Axis barrel. :

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...

Last edited by std7mag; June 21, 2018 at 04:15 AM.
Old June 21, 2018, 05:49 AM   #3
stagpanther

The axis 2 I know was brought out by savage about 4 or 5 years ago or so (maybe longer, sheesh, I'm getting old)--I bought several original axses (it was called something else before the axis as well, forget what the name was) but the pre-2 axses were not available with the accutrigger option as I recall. I did a fair amount of modification on the ones I bought--though I opted for timney triggers for the ones I modded. The barrel on this one clearly says "axis" (no 2). The throw of the bolt is pretty tight--tighter than any axis or 111/110 that I've ever had.
Old June 21, 2018, 01:01 PM   #4
std7mag

Yeah, the Axis II doesn't have any distinguishing markings that i know of. Just the Accutrigger, and possibly an Accustock.
Either way, nice find!!

Oh, Savage 10 parts swap with the Axis. Aka barrel nut, barrels. Same with the Stevens 200. And the small ring 110. Meaning not a magnum.

Old June 21, 2018, 02:49 PM   #5
Scorch

Quote:
The buttpad is a Boyd's rubber one, but the stock itself doesn't look like one of their's to me--I' guessing that it was a custom aftermarket job.
That is not a custom stock, it's a drop-in Boyds stock. Boyds does not sell recoil pads, so if it has a Boyds recoil pad on it, it's more than likely a Boyds stock. Besides their cheap laminated stocks, they also sell very nice wood stocks. And yes, you can have your initials laser-engraved on your stock when you order. But, rule of thumb, if it's a cheap rifle with a cheap scope on it, it's probably not sitting in a $1000 custom stock.
Old June 21, 2018, 03:20 PM   #6
stagpanther

Quote:
But, rule of thumb, if it's a cheap rifle with a cheap scope on it, it's probably not sitting in a $1000 custom stock.
LOL--ain't that the truth--but guess what, when I took it apart I found it was bedded with solid gold!! Anyways, if she shoots well I'll be happy (never had a Savage at any price that didn't). I always thought Boyd's stocks had that tutti-fruitti laminated look--this one is very handsome, and yes, I'm guessing they monogrammed it for the owner.
Old June 21, 2018, 06:14 PM   #7
RC20

Nice deal, as noted its almost certainly a Boyds wood stock.

Put in the link and go down 6 stocks or so. Their site does not like my browser so I can't get the exact match

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/gallery#shapes

Found it

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/gunst...ic-43a274d04zz

Quote:
Besides their cheap laminated stocks, they also sell very nice wood stocks.
Low cost laminated stocks, not cheap! I have two. Love em. Look good and they are true composite at a great price and all the stability of the plastic or fiber stocks.

Last edited by RC20; June 21, 2018 at 06:32 PM.
Old June 22, 2018, 06:59 AM   #8
Mobuck

As cheap rifles go, the AXIS may be OK but it still began as a "price point" rifle and as such, has built in compromises.
Old June 22, 2018, 07:48 AM   #9
stagpanther

Quote:
As cheap rifles go, the AXIS may be OK but it still began as a "price point" rifle and as such, has built in compromises.
I've had several and have always been satisfied with them--especially since I can easily and cheaply improve those compromises (Ruger Americans are just as easily improved--though I rate their barrels just a whisker behind Savage's). I had one that I built up that could easily shoot .5 MOA or under--the friend I sold it to has refused to sell it back to me.
Old June 22, 2018, 11:47 AM   #10
T. O'Heir

An Axis is an entry level hunting rifle. $375 isn't a great price. MSRP is $407.
Definitely an aftermarket stock. Not necessarily a Boyd's though. Mostly likely is given the butt plate though.
Old June 22, 2018, 01:08 PM   #11
stagpanther

I did a bit of sleuthing--this is exactly what I have I believe.
https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/...ii-xp-hardwood
Old June 22, 2018, 01:36 PM   #12
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, that's what you got alright. Probably a fine gun. My brother has an Axis in .243, it shoots and functions just fine for a budget level gun. It's not as pretty as yours though.

Retail on yours is $403 at Bud's, which means about $450 if you pay with a card plus the FFL fee.

$375 out the door is a pretty darn fair price.
Old June 22, 2018, 03:54 PM   #13
std7mag

Darn it T.O., we were doing so good....

Doesn't matter if it's an entry level hunting rifle. My Stevens 200 in 7mm-08 with the flimsy plastic stock was/is that too. Opened up the forestock channel, cut a carbon fibre arrow length wise and epoxied in. Then filled back up with lite weight body filler. Bedded action with Devcon.
Bedded 20 MOA 1 piece EGW base on. Set of low Vortex Rings, entry level Vortex Crossfire II 4-12X42 scope.
With load development would hold 3/4 MOA at 300 yards all day.
Same set up i used on deer at 413 yards.

Entry level doesn't mean junk.

Old June 27, 2018, 10:18 AM   #14
stagpanther

My first batch of 25 06; I selected 117 sst's driven by RL22. Gonna try a few shots today.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0214.JPG (160.6 KB, 138 views)
Old June 27, 2018, 11:51 AM   #15
stagpanther

Well, this one belly-flopped before it even got started 3 of the first 4 moderate charge weights (53.7 grs @ 51,000 psi +/-; well under max rating 65,000 psi) blew the primers out and imprinted the ejector on the rim face. Bolt lift is noticeably stiff both on feeding and ejecting--in fact it's stiff with no cartridge at all when cycling.

Here's the bolt face--I was told the gun only had "a handful" of cartridges through it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0216.JPG (66.9 KB, 141 views)
Old June 27, 2018, 06:20 PM   #16
Scorch

The pressure problem you experienced could be the reason the rifle was sold, or it could be the reloads. Did you try it with factory ammo?
Old June 27, 2018, 06:40 PM   #17
stagpanther

Quote:
The pressure problem you experienced could be the reason the rifle was sold, or it could be the reloads. Did you try it with factory ammo?
I thought about that--the bolt face shows clear signs of gas cutting from leaking primer cups IMO.

I generally don't do factory ammo these days except to use as reference. My loads were using all-new components that I measured and measured nicely. Except for one thing--the keg of RL22 is maybe ten years old, though I can't discern any obvious signs of degradation.

As a sanity check I threw together a few loads of 120 gamekings driven by IMR4831--one of my favorite go-to powders for mid to mid-large cartridges. I only ran loads up to 50,000 psi ratings per QL, being a bit nervous but were no pressure signs or problems with primers. The gun weighs 8.5 lbs--no lightweight.

I'm wondering if bolt serial numbers are matched to the production of the gun when assembled--the look of the bolt just doesn't match up with the seemingly new condition of the rest of the gun. and it seems oddly stiff in throw and cycling. I'm also wondering if a powder like RL22 could become overly-volatile as it ages?

Here are a couple of the groups--nothing to write home about--but it beats blowing up.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25 06 47.9 IMR4831 120GK.jpg (103.3 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg 25 06 44.9 IMR4831 120GK.jpg (192.1 KB, 126 views)
Old June 27, 2018, 07:11 PM   #18
std7mag

Almost sounds like former owner (accidentally?) switched bolts with one of their other rifles.
If i remember right new bolt face with ejector and spring was like $20.

Your groups are a fine example of minute of deer.

Old June 27, 2018, 07:21 PM   #19
stagpanther

The cheapest bolt rifle I ever bought was a "tupperware" savage axis 1 in 308--it could send 5 shots into 1 ragged hole--that's why I never pay attention to the "axis downers."

Attached Images
File Type: jpg silvertipT_zps73e45d12.JPG (9.5 KB, 128 views)
Old June 27, 2018, 08:01 PM   #20
stagpanther

Quote:
Almost sounds like former owner (accidentally?) switched bolts with one of their other rifles.
If i remember right new bolt face with ejector and spring was like $20.
I'm thinking maybe a bolt switch/upgrade too--I might spend some time and run that down. Never taken a savage bolt apart before--any trick to it?
Old June 27, 2018, 09:52 PM   #21
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

No trick.

I personally decock it with my thumb but I believe that step is unnecessary as the tension is gradually released while you back out the screw.

1/4” Allen as I recall. Could be wrong. You’ll need a (padded) vice the first time, as I believe they use red loctite to hold it together.

The hardest part is recocking the bolt to put it back in the gun... I just use the edge of my vice but there’s probably a “correct” way.
Old June 28, 2018, 05:12 AM   #22
stagpanther

Thanks for that. I'll get around to it eventually--got lots of other irons in the fire to attend to.

Still concerned about that RL22--never heard of a powder getting stronger as it ages. I bought it originally for my 270 win and 300 win mag loads, I may do a bit of testing on them to see if it performs any differently.

Last edited by stagpanther; June 28, 2018 at 05:25 AM.
Old June 28, 2018, 09:08 AM   #23
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Have you measured the fired cases to see how they compare to a SAAMI chamber and/or checked the throat to see if maybe your rounds jammed in the rifling?
Old June 28, 2018, 09:34 AM   #24
stagpanther

I got my first good look into the chamber--hard to with an assembled rifle and no bore scope--it was coated with a caked-on "blast debris" from the base of the shoulder to about mid-case length. I thought I had cleaned the rifle well when I bought it--but didn't see this stuff. Spent an hour with copper remover and other cleaners and brushes and got the chamber down to it's shiny like-new look--interestingly, the last layers of goo that came out looked like the packing grease new gun's bores come treated with. Maybe the former user simply took the gun out and shot it without bothering to clean it upon purchase? I may try the RL22 loads again and see if that makes a difference. The only thing I haven't done yet is check headspace dimensions--haven't found any available gauges yet. Dimensions of brass, both before and after firing, are within SAAMI measurements.
Old June 28, 2018, 02:56 PM   #25
std7mag

4Drentals.com
4D Reamer Rentals is your friend for headspace gauges. $8 for 1 week rental. Shipping sucks either way, but still cheaper than buying new.

For the bolt dis-assembly, i use 1/4" allen 3/8" drive socket and long rachet. Put gun in vise, bolt in, but not locked. Insert socket, give tap on rachet with my palm. Screw comes out fairly easily after that.

Red Locktite is NOT used by factory to put together. Otherwise you'd need a torch to dis-assemble.

I use the edge of the work bench to recock when put together. Otherwise bolt won't lock when in rifle. Watch out for the little ball under the extractor!! (Ask me how i know!!)