The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 22, 2021, 09:06 AM   #1
Willie Lowman

New to the Benelli inerta shotguns

So I decided to get a new buckshot distribution system the other day.

I bought a Benelli M2 Tactical on gunbroker.

While I wait for it to be shipped to my LGS I have been reading about the M2

From one video I have watched, it seems possible to cause malfunctions by holding the gun too tight. This is with low brass game loads anyway.

I also see people recommending changing out the shell lifter to a Taran Tactical one.

What else should I know about the M2?
Old January 22, 2021, 09:19 AM   #2
NoSecondBest

I’ve owned seven different Benelli shotguns over the last twenty + years. I’ve not owned the M2, but all the rest were inertia guns. I’ve NEVER had one that didn’t cycle due to not having a good grip on the gun. I’ve shot hundreds and hundreds of rounds goofing around shooting from the hip on skeet fields and sporting clays fields and never had any problems related to the system being sensitive to grip. I have had them fail to cycle if left to get too dirty before cleaning. Even that didn’t happen very often. I watched Tom Knapp put on demonstrations different times and he shot a lot from the hip and he never had one not cycle. If it were me, and it isn’t, I’d try the gun out as received before starting to change out parts.
Old January 22, 2021, 09:53 AM   #3
Doc Intrepid

+1

Only other comment I'd make is find some other means of keeping reloads handy than mounting them on the receiver.

I own a Benelli M2 Tactical also, and its an awesome shotgun. But it can be finicky with respect to adding weight (in my experience).

I added a nice aluminum side saddle mount holding six shells from Mesa Tactical, and the resulting weight gain caused cycling hiccups using several different loads.

I removed the side saddle reload mount and the problems disappeared.

Not saying everyone will have this issue, but I did - and like NoSecondBest said, you'd be well advised to try the gun out as received before adding or changing out parts.
Old January 22, 2021, 10:39 AM   #4
Sharkbite

Ive had an M1 since the late 80’s. Ive run it thru mtp thousands of rounds, both teaching and taking classes. I used an issued one for a bit on duty (14”).

Neither of them like low weight birdshot loads. If i feed it 1 1/8 oz loads, it works fine. Mine have been FLAWLESS with full power buck or slugs. Remington had a 8 pellet “low recoil” OO Buck load that would not function. But that was a 1 oz load at about 1100fps. Just not enough oomph to cycle
Old January 22, 2021, 02:48 PM   #5
jmr40

I have a couple of the older M-1 hunting versions for years. Essentially the same gun with a different stock and some cosmetic features. I had a broken ejector on one that had to be replaced. Other than that both have never malfunctioned no matter which shells or how it was held.

Winston Churchill
Old January 28, 2021, 09:52 PM   #6
dgludwig

Quote:
it seems possible to cause malfunctions by holding the gun too tight.
Maybe it's possible but, given my experience and those of my fellow water fowlers, I find it hard to believe. I'm sure you'll find your new Benelli completely reliable no matter how you hold it (unless you limp-wrist it ).
Old January 29, 2021, 10:36 AM   #7
wild cat mccane

In concept, it's the opposite. If you don't hold an inertia tight enough/put on a too absorbent pad, there isn't enough force for the system to work.

Haven't come across too tight being an issue.

Interesting
Old January 29, 2021, 10:55 AM   #8
Carl the Floor Walker

It is not just Bellini or Beretta. It is all inertia guns. I have owned both over the years and a Presently own two of them and a Stoeger OV condor that you hear internet complaints. These are contributed to very light loads or the shooter throwing the gun up to soon. However I have never personally ran across the issue.
Just had the Stoeger OV inertia out the other day and was shooting a 12ga with a 20ga insert in the lower barrel with light 20ga loads and no problem. I think the issue is very rare. but I guess under the right circumstances it could happen. Typically in a defense situation you will be shooting Buckshot which is a heavier load.
I prefer the inertia system, fewer parts and easier to clean. The M1 is a really nice shooter, still own one and he has done me very well over the years.
Old January 29, 2021, 06:02 PM   #9
Willie Lowman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVW8r5al3Cg

skip to 1:40 to see this guy cause malfunction by holding the gun tight.
Old January 29, 2021, 09:43 PM   #10
MarkCO

I shoot an M2 in 3Gun and was sponsored by Benelli for a few years. Been through their course, modified a lot of them as well.

With loads that have low energy, yes, if you shoulder them too rigidly, you can cause a malfunction. Yes, if you shoot them too fast, you can drop the hammer while the bolt is in a bounce and result in a dead trigger. Both are conditions I "can" create but neither are conditions you will ever have with standard pressure buck, slugs or hunting loads in normal use.

As for the TTI lifter, unless you are going to be twin or quad loading, no need. It is a modified lifter to aid in that process. I was the first person in the US to twin load, and then quad load, at a major three gun match, so kind of know about the genesis of the mods. Most of Taran Tactical mods on the M2 are from input from myself and James Casanova when he was running Carbon Arms with me.

We changed the sport of 3Gun with twin and quad loading and sometimes some of those mods spill over into tactical or hunting applications. Most of the mods though, are of little to no benefit for the HD or hunting applications.
Old January 31, 2021, 10:50 AM   #11
Omaha-BeenGlockin

My M2 has been GTG--its only been used for hunting even though its small enough for HD with a 21in barrel.
-------Metallica
Old February 2, 2021, 11:20 AM   #12
wild cat mccane

Don't discount MarkCO.

Through all my researching and buying a Beretta 1301 and now looking at a M3000, the dude is knowledge expert
Old February 7, 2021, 03:13 PM   #13
Willie Lowman

Finally got my M2. Took it out yesterday. It worked flawlessly for the first 25 rounds. I then tried hip firing it and the bolt did not cycle all the way back. It was far enough to eject the fired shell but not to pick up the next one. I had a very tight grip on the gun but it was apparently not enough.

Thing is, I went and saw Tom Knapp shoot years ago. He was using a Benelli shotgun. He was firing it upside-down over his head. There is no way he could have had as solid a grasp on the gun but his cycled 100%

What the heck?
Old February 7, 2021, 03:25 PM   #14
dgludwig

I warned you about limp-wristing it . The solution would seem to be to hold the gun tighter-but then, some folks in this thread have reported that you can hold an inertia-based action too tightly to your shoulder. I'm not sure what the happy "medium" is, if there is one. As I said previously, I've never had my Benelli Super Eagle shotgun malfunction no matter how tightly I was holding it.

Go Chiefs!
Old February 7, 2021, 06:57 PM   #15
wild cat mccane

Sell it and go with the more reliable gas system. It's a real option given people would buy it.

Beretta 1301 with the "Blink" system is just as good if not better than the "Argo" from the M4. I think the 1301 is the go to now, particularly given low price.

Hinterland has a 21" comp 1301 for $1,100.

I love mine

Despite everything I read, it actually appears gas systems are MORE reliable. Particularly on the Argo or Blink system, they run really clean which is the only problem of a gas system that cycles all loads (which the 1301 does).
Old February 8, 2021, 10:55 AM   #16
MarkCO

The Argo system, is, to me, still the best system for shooting a wide variety of power levels. But the M4 is insanely expensive and difficult to modify. The Remington Versamax (and V3) uses the Argo and most samples run great. But, the Remington QC is an issue. I never saw two that were exactly the same. In most cases I could polish, bend, modify them if there was an issue, which maybe 10 to 20 percent had one of more of.

My aversion to the 1301 was the location of the shell release. I've seen it tripped accidently and cause major issues. A lady in one of my classes chipped her front tooth when a shell came flying out and hit her in the mouth. There is a mod that can fix that, but I have not shot one with that mod. I can run them fairly fast and I do think they fit well in the window for most people.
Old February 8, 2021, 11:00 AM   #17
Willie Lowman

Quote:
Sell it and go with the more reliable gas system. It's a real option given people would buy it.
I just paid $1400 for this M2. M4s are going for $2000+ I am sure they are great but I think I'll stick with my M2 for financial reasons.

I ran 50 heavy game loads through it today. Fired 10 from the hip and a few one handed from the hip. Reliability was 10 for 10 as long as I kept both hands on the gun. Not so great one handed, I had one failure to feed out of 3 shells... but I wasn't expecting much...

Last edited by Willie Lowman; February 8, 2021 at 11:06 AM.
Old February 8, 2021, 11:01 AM   #18
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Lowman View Post
Finally got my M2. Took it out yesterday. It worked flawlessly for the first 25 rounds. I then tried hip firing it and the bolt did not cycle all the way back. It was far enough to eject the fired shell but not to pick up the next one. I had a very tight grip on the gun but it was apparently not enough.

Thing is, I went and saw Tom Knapp shoot years ago. He was using a Benelli shotgun. He was firing it upside-down over his head. There is no way he could have had as solid a grasp on the gun but his cycled 100%

What the heck?
Tom Knapp's guns were highly modified to stock. It depends on what he was doing with them as to how they were set up. My M2 has a reduced power recoil spring and runs like a sewing machine, but I won't shoot anything Magnum or 3" in it set up this way. It has a little polishing here and there as well.

When you get 1000 rounds through it, then that specific scenario, it will run because the recoil spring will be broken in.
Old February 8, 2021, 11:07 AM   #19
MarkCO

Quote:
I just paid $1400 for this M2. M4s are going for $2000+ I am sure they are great but I think I'll stick with my M2 for financial reasons.
I'd stick with it for more than financial reasons. The M2 is one of, if not the best tactical auto-loading shotguns on the market. Most of the ones that are competition to the M2 are copies. For a while Breda was the new hotness and dozens of the people I shoot with ran out and bought one...most of those Breda shotguns are in closets and those folks are back to shooting M2s. There are a dozen shotguns that the same thing has happened with. I've got a few (and sold more) that I ran out and bought in the same manner.
Old February 8, 2021, 11:21 AM   #20
FAS1

I have a Benelli M1 field gun and a Berretta 1201FP for home defense. While I have never tried firing Lucas McCain style from the hip, I have not experienced any kind of failure on either. I have never mounted any accessories on them because I always heard they were sensitive to added weight.

Both have been used with birdshot, but the 1201FP stays loaded with 00 Buck.
Old February 8, 2021, 12:17 PM   #21
Carl the Floor Walker

Headed out this PM to the Gun Smith today to pick up my Beretta 1200F which it cut the barrel down to 19-20". I have had that gun for years and never once had a failure. Noted for simplistic design and few parts. It has been a great all around gun, but just do use a 28" barrel any longer. I will add it to the home defense guns. I will see how it patterns with different buckshot, and may use it for the type of deer hunting I do in thick terrain and swamps.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; February 9, 2021 at 12:21 PM.
Old February 9, 2021, 10:44 AM   #22
wild cat mccane

The current 1301 Tactical fixes the easy to hit shell release that jams up the gun. I have the current 1301 Competition which still has the older style release. It really isn't a problem. There is a $15 dollar piece the stops this release from releasing shells, but really super glue would do that same thing.

So the 1301 is probably the best buy shotgun on the market right now given Mossberg pumps are pulling in 500-800 bucks.

When prices go normal, the 1301 will still be the best shotgun on the market.

I can't outrun my 1301. I can outrun an M2.

V3 can't even in the conversation. Remington isn't making them. I've wanted a V3 Competition (22") but they aren't making them. Remington currently isn't making parts for them.

Even then, the 1301 is the best shotgun on the market right now.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; February 9, 2021 at 10:55 AM.
Old February 9, 2021, 12:17 PM   #23
Carl the Floor Walker

Just cleaned a gun I got back from the Gun Smith after having the barrel cut back, a inertia Beretta. One thing for sure, these gun are so easy to clean. I love the fact that they have such few parts. Simple reliable, super easy to clean. I do not run a shotgun for competition, so could not tell you what is better for that, but just love to shoot them and mostly buckshot.
Great video on the inertia systems. Personally for my needs, I will stick with the inertia.

Congrats to the OP on the M2. You are going to love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEA2...ature=emb_logo

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; February 9, 2021 at 12:24 PM.
Old February 9, 2021, 04:50 PM   #24
wild cat mccane

Want to clarify as the M2 and M4 are (wrongly) getting held as better than anything.

The 1301 is BETTER than the Benelli M2. It's the same logic that the M4 is better than the M2. The BLINK system on the 1301 is the same on the super expensive Beretta A400 if price is your indicator for quality. The ARGO on the M4 and BLINK on the A400/1301 system are similar.

The 1301 costs less than the M2.

It's the best deal on the market. If you were to unload the M2 for cost, you could pick up a BETTER (more reliable) gun than the M2 in the 1301. The 1301 doesn't light hold or tight hold fail.

It is good to hear the problems of an inertia system, because online when I was shopping, it was almost impossible to hear problems with inertia and gas is always held as only being lighter recoil.

If you were to get the Comp 1301, you also get a better looking shotgun than either the M2 or M4

Meh. Good luck on the hold for reliability. I admit I learned tight being a problem for inertia.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; February 9, 2021 at 04:56 PM.
Old February 9, 2021, 05:52 PM   #25
MarkCO

w. c. mccane,

That is your opinion, which you keep beating the drum on, in a thread where the OP neither asked for options and clearly has stated he is sticking with the M2.

So what I don't understand is why you keep pounding your chest saying the same thing over and over in a thread that has nothing to do with your favorite. Maybe go start a thread on your own.