The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 14, 2016, 08:48 AM   #1
Onward Allusion

Is it my imagination?

My '03 has been on hiatus for the last couple of years because it's pretty much the same 'old same 'old since I got my C&R a half dozen years ago. Lately, I've noticed that the market is offering more than MN's, '82's, '64's, 56's, 53's, 1908's. . . . etc...etc...

Are sellers finally seeing that C&R's are just as valid as FFL 01's for firearms older than 50 years? OR are more qualifying guns are coming into the market? If there are more qualifying guns, what can we expect in the coming year?
Old November 14, 2016, 12:59 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Foreign warehouses full of bolt actions just waiting to be imported into the US for the commercial/collector's market are pretty much things of the past.

I seriously doubt we will see any large quantities of milsurps ever again.

Individual guns, and smaller collections ARE hitting the market, as the original owners have aged and often, passed on, so their collections are being sold, but not at rock bottom prices, usually.
Old November 14, 2016, 03:06 PM   #3
Ernest T

I agree with the above. Definitely less numbers of guns coming into the US now than 10 years ago. The days of bulk shipments of firearms like Mosins, Swiss rifles, M1 Garands, from overseas is probably a thing of the past. Guns being sold now are primarily from private collections or individuals thinning their collections.

Some sales are ammo availability based. For example many guys that were really into Mosin rifles are now finding surplus ammo had dried up, and are selling off some of these rifles.

You might see guns listed on GB, but you will also notice a significant price increase compared to a few years ago on many of them. What you don't see are the big surplus dealers selling many C&R guns compared to years ago.
Old November 14, 2016, 04:59 PM   #4
Tidewater_Kid

I think most of the current items for sale are from the Samco warehouse.

TK