The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old March 16, 2016, 07:01 AM   #1
boatdoc173

not stupid just confused

Hi Folks

love this forum ..lots of good stuff here

I am NOT stupid. I have used these kinds of forums many times , yet I cannot for the life of me ,figure out how you are quoting others when you post. read the FAQ section but they discuss " a quote" button and "multi quote " button..I do not see them anywhere.

I have resorted to just addressing the person I wish to respond to in a posted reply but I prefer to quote and then respond. any help woul dbe appreciated

thanks

Rob
Old March 16, 2016, 07:15 AM   #2
dahermit

Quote:
I am NOT stupid. I have used these kinds of forums many times , yet I cannot for the life of me ,figure out how you are quoting others when you post. read the FAQ section but they discuss " a quote" button and "multi quote " button..I do not see them anywhere.
Assuming you are using a computer (not a cell phone), use your mouse to select the text you want to quote in your post, then click on "Reply to Thread", when the box opens paste the text into the box. Then select that text again and at the top of the box there is a little "cloud/balloon" (like in the comic strips to indicate someone speaking)...click on that and the text will be quoted.

If you are using a cell phone, I cannot help you...I know nothing about using them.
Old March 16, 2016, 07:15 AM   #3
Mike38

I never have seen quote buttons either, so you're not alone.
Old March 16, 2016, 07:44 AM   #4
Armorer-at-Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike38
If you want to attribute the quote to a specific member, insert the name between quotation marks after an equals sign in the opening tag. Like this: [QUOTE="Mike38"]
Old March 16, 2016, 07:57 AM   #5
rickyrick

Quote:
If you want to attribute the quote to a specific member, insert the name between quotation marks after an equals sign in the opening tag. Like this:
wait for the rest
Old March 16, 2016, 07:59 AM   #6
rickyrick

Old March 16, 2016, 09:40 AM   #7
2ndsojourn

Thanks ricky...I get it now!!!
Old March 16, 2016, 10:21 AM   #8
cjwils

Quote:
I had not seen quote buttons either, but if I can follow the instructions above, then you probably can too. Let's try it again. Repetition helps with memory.

Quote:
Old March 16, 2016, 10:38 AM   #9
Doyle

All this begs the question, why can't this forum software simply have a quote button that includes the author just like other forum software does?
Old March 16, 2016, 10:45 AM   #10
Salmoneye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle
All this begs the question, why can't this forum software simply have a quote button that includes the author just like other forum software does?
Because it gets cumbersome and wastes bandwith when people lazily hit 'quote', and you get quotes of quotes of quotes of quotes etc....
Old March 16, 2016, 11:00 AM   #11
rickyrick

Yes, those other forums where people have quotes of quotes of quotes, then I leave, never to return.
Old March 16, 2016, 11:54 AM   #12
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Because it was decided long ago (before I joined, at any rate) that a quote button was more trouble than it was worth. People wanting to respond to a particular post quoted the post in its entirety and, yeah, we wound up with very long quotes inside very long quotes inside very long quotes. It was both cumbersome and confusing.

Most of our members, when faced with already having to copy, paste, hit quote button, etc., will at least edit the quoted post down to identify which part they're responding to. That helps keep threads intelligible.
Old March 16, 2016, 12:56 PM   #13
Doyle

Spats, there is a solution for the endless long quotes. One forum software I saw (don't recall where unfortunately) didn't enable the quote button until the user had highlighted a section of text. That pretty much eliminated quoting the entire post and allowed the respondent to simply highlight the section of text they wanted to quote, hit the quote button, and the software only quoted that section of text and gave the proper reference to the author.
Old March 16, 2016, 01:08 PM   #14
rickyrick

My feeling on the issue is: if it's not worth the effort to copy and paste... It's probably not very important TO ME. So it keeps me in check, so to speak.
Old March 16, 2016, 03:49 PM   #15
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Spats, there is a solution for the endless long quotes.
Yes. Get rid of the quote button.

Seriously, though, I don't know what kind of software that would require, or whether our current software would allow that. That's way beyond my technical skills.
Old March 16, 2016, 04:21 PM   #16
DaleA

rickyrick post #6. Wow. I'm awestruck. How did you do that??? And if you just want to answer "it's complicated" that would be okay with me and I sure wouldn't take offense.
Old March 16, 2016, 05:50 PM   #17
rickyrick

Series of screenshots then I moved over to tapatalk to upload them. I like regular browsers, but tapatalk is the easiest for photos.
Old March 17, 2016, 12:07 AM   #18
JohnKSa
Staff

Here's a pretty thorough coverage of how to quote text.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323215