The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old October 15, 2015, 11:38 PM   #1
mkiker2089

quoting on the site versus tapatalk

I noticed that the site doesn't support quoting when replying. People are manually quoting instead but without adding the name. I suppose you could modify the quote text as other forums with quote=xxxx

Anyway, tapatalk supports quoting so why doesn't the site? It seems like something rather important to leave off because it helps keep conversations straight. Am I missing something?
Old October 15, 2015, 11:40 PM   #2
mkiker2089

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
I noticed that the site doesn't support quoting when replying. People are manually quoting instead but without adding the name. I suppose you could modify the quote text as other forums with quote=xxxx

Anyway, tapatalk supports quoting so why doesn't the site? It seems like something rather important to leave off because it helps keep conversations straight. Am I missing something?
Yes, that seems to work, just add ="name" so the site supports quoting in the BBcode but the quote option is hidden on posts. If a mod could just unhide the reply button from the bottom of posts I think it would fix it.
Old October 15, 2015, 11:44 PM   #3
Sevens

The question of quoting has come up many, many, many times over the years.

They have removed the easy quoting buttons for a reason...
Folks tend to quote far too much.

Furthermore, the folks who run this site are actually pretty happy with the interface as it stands. I don't believe they mind it when the subject/question comes up, and I don't intend to speak for them -- but I can say pretty confidently that they have no plans to change any part of the interface regarding quoting posts... or really, change much of anything.

TFL Forums has been running in pretty much exactly the way you see it now, for a very long time.
Old October 17, 2015, 08:51 AM   #4
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

The reasoning for not having a 'quote' button is really pretty simple.

It used to be that people would quote a post in it's entirety. For short posts, that is not much of a problem. But when many people begin posting long posts, only to answer or respond to a very short section, it filled the screen with a bunch of errata that became quite annoying.

The mods went on a campaign, trying to get everyone to edit what they were quoting. That is, delete everything that you aren't responding to. Make the post relevant and manageable. We were routinely ignored.

Some might say that the solution is to ban everyone that didn't listen. That's not a solution any of us wanted.

The most simple solution was to take away the button.

Problem 98% solved. Overnight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens
I can say pretty confidently that they have no plans to change any part of the interface regarding quoting posts.
Exactly.