The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 7, 2011, 11:55 PM   #1
pro tc

box of pistols

my brother got this box of pistols at a garage sale for 350.00 also 3guns worth of parts you guys see any thing good?
[IMG][/IMG]
Old May 8, 2011, 12:31 PM   #2
Tidewater_Kid

Hard to tell from the picture. Close-up pictures with markings would tell us more. Looks like several Iver Johnsons, but again hard to tell.

TK
Old May 8, 2011, 01:28 PM   #3
cougar gt-e

Dunno about the resale value, but I sure would have plunked down the $$.
Old May 8, 2011, 01:53 PM   #4
YARDDOG(1)

Yea ^^^^^^ This
Y/D
Old May 8, 2011, 02:01 PM   #5
Hawg

Looks like mostly if not all IJ's, maybe a Forehand and Wadsworth or two. Hard to tell.
Old May 8, 2011, 02:02 PM   #6
jonnyc

All together...worth just about...$350.
Old May 8, 2011, 02:17 PM   #7
Pukindog

pistols

They might be worth more at a gun buy-back. Around here the cops will give you $100.00 in food coupons/stamps for any gun regardless of condition.

Jeff
Old May 8, 2011, 02:39 PM   #8
Hawg

Quote:
All together...worth just about...$350.
Nah, if they're as good as they look and working there's 600-700 bucks worth of guns there even if they're all IJ's
Old May 8, 2011, 05:32 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

Several of those guns look like foreign imitations of S&W breaktops; those would probably be worth less than IJ's or H&Rs.

One possible use is for decoys. Deactivate them and display them in such a way that any unwelcome visitors will take them and not bother to look for the good stuff.

Jim
Old May 8, 2011, 09:29 PM   #10
pro tc

ok got some more info. one is a british bulldog. one is a 1898 harrington and richardson. one 1887 harrington and richardson. older hpkin and allen double action no,6 38 cal. couple american bulldogs. older harrington 22 rimfire that all i have got so far
Barry
Old May 8, 2011, 09:52 PM   #11
Dino.

Quote:
my brother got this box of pistols at a garage sale ...
Is that even legal?

BTW ... looks like a good deal to me, but what do I know.
Old May 8, 2011, 10:20 PM   #12
dogtown tom

Quote:
Dino:...Is that even legal?
No Federal law prohibits residents of the same state from buying or selling guns to each other.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old May 9, 2011, 08:20 AM   #13
jtb1967

Without a lot more info, I'd say he paid about the full value. I'm assuming most are only good for parts.
Old May 9, 2011, 09:41 AM   #14
musher

Quote:
No Federal law prohibits residents of the same state from buying or selling guns to each other.
It's usually a good idea to put a smiley or some other indication you're joking, otherwise folks might think you're passing on good info.
Old May 9, 2011, 09:52 AM   #15
Hardcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino.
Is that even legal?
I know that it's legal in Idaho, but I wouldn't even hazard a guess at anywhere else.
Old May 9, 2011, 09:58 AM   #16
MLeake

Musher, other than determining the seller and buyer are residents of the state where the transaction occurs, and the seller having no reason to suspect the buyer is a prohibited person, what Federal law are you implying is applicable?
Old May 9, 2011, 11:33 AM   #17
32 Magnum
Member In Memoriam

Fourth one from the right looks to be the 1887 H&R SHELL EXTRACTING aka "Manual Ejector" model revolver. That one alone, if in antique GOOD or better will bring between $225 and $300 from a collector.
The one left of it, in blue - is the 1898 H&R - could be worth up to $200 depending upon condition.
Old May 9, 2011, 03:49 PM   #18
carguychris

Third from left- prewar I frame S&W .32 Hand Ejector, maybe a Model of 1903? (Looks like it's cocked?!?) Doesn't look rusty, just dusty, could be worth $150-$300 depending on finish.

OTOH many Spanish copies of this gun exist; they're best suited as trotline weights and they're valued accordingly.
Old May 9, 2011, 05:37 PM   #19
jtb1967

I don't think he's even told us if any of them function yet. I'm betting there's more than one timing issue in the box.
Old May 9, 2011, 07:02 PM   #20
emcon5

Quote:
It's usually a good idea to put a smiley or some other indication you're joking, otherwise folks might think you're passing on good info.
He is right. There is no Federal law preventing a private sale between two residents of the same state.

You may know this as "the gun show loophole" the Brady clowns are always whining about.

Some states may have more restrictive laws, it would certainly be illegal in California for example, but only because they are pistols. Rifles over 50 years old would be fine.
Old May 9, 2011, 09:53 PM   #21
dogtown tom

Quote:
musher
Quote:
Quote:
Seriously?

Here you go:http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unli...ensed-transfer
Quote:
ATF Firearms FAQ'sQ: To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]
Hows that for good info?

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old May 9, 2011, 10:18 PM   #22
pro tc

yes he has shot at least one.
Barry
Old May 10, 2011, 07:19 AM   #23
Magnum Wheel Man

Good catch...

Quote:
Fourth one from the right looks to be the 1887 H&R SHELL EXTRACTING aka "Manual Ejector" model revolver. That one alone, if in antique GOOD or better will bring between $225 and $300 from a collector.
I'm a collector of guns of this era, & I've got a .38 & been trying to buy a 32 for a reasonable price... going through them, one by one may prove that he got a great deal... obviously depending on condition...
Old May 10, 2011, 07:46 AM   #24
Mike Irwin
Staff

It looks like there's a good chance that some, if not all, of those handguns are also antiques, pre-1898.

I don't know what the third one from the left is, but I'm certain it's not a Smith & Wesson. There's no thumb latch to release the cylinder.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 10, 2011, 10:42 AM   #25
carguychris

Quote:
I don't know what the third one from the left is, but I'm certain it's not a Smith & Wesson. There's no thumb latch to release the cylinder.
You're right of course. <slaps forehead>

Possibly a Spanish copy with an ejector-rod cylinder release. See my previous post re: value.