The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 12, 2020, 12:17 PM   #1
veprdude

AK-47 Help: Draco C not going all the way into battery

Draco C Romanian AK. Since I got this, it fails to go 100% into battery about 50% of the time. I checked the piston to make sure it wasn't binding. I think the bolt is binding in the bolt carrier bore. The bolt carrier will stop about 1/4" from fully seated. This only occurs when chambering a round. It goes all the way into battery when dry cycled.

I noticed grooves on the bolt where it slides in the carrier. I put permanent marker on the "high points" where the finish was removed and started sanding those areas with 500 grit sandpaper. This has made it better but it is far from reliable.

How much material can I take down before there's a problem with excessive bolt "flop"? Or does anyone else have some ideas?

Pictures of the bolt after applying permanent marker and manually opening and closing the bolt/bolt carrier with the charging wing. The shiny areas were blue but are rubbed clean where I think it's binding.

Last edited by veprdude; February 12, 2020 at 02:09 PM.
Old February 12, 2020, 01:37 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

1280 pixels is way too big. Please reduce the size of your pictures.
"CAI" is Century Arms International who are well known for assembling rifles out of parts bins with zero QC.
However, the "only occurs when chambering a round...goes all the way into battery when dry cycled..." part suggests you have an ammo issue and it's probably not the rifle. So stop fiddling with the bolt.
What ammo are you using? Does it happen with all brands?
A simple change of ammo may fix the whole thing.
Old February 12, 2020, 02:13 PM   #3
veprdude

Happens with all types of ammo. Wolf, Bernaul, Golden Tiger, TULA. I swapped the bolt out with another Romanian bolt and the chambering issue went away (didn't fire it).

This is imported by CAI, built by CUGIR in Romania. Bolt, carrier, etc. matches the front trunnion.
Old February 12, 2020, 02:55 PM   #4
Wyosmith

The extractor may not be beveled correctly. Check the shell head and see if the rim is bent any. If so the extractor is not flexing out of the way which means the spring is too tight or the bevel is wrong (may be an AK74 extractor instead of an AK47 Extractor)
Old February 12, 2020, 04:05 PM   #5
bfoosh006

Good thinking Wyosmith.

With the bolt out of the firearm, check to make sure the case head will freely slip into the in question bolt face.
Old February 19, 2020, 12:01 AM   #6
veprdude

Compared the bolt to another Romanian bolt. The bolt lugs are machined thicker than the others. Cleaned up the bolt and lug tracks in the bolt carrier with sand paper and the bolt closes easier now.

Will do a range report maybe next week.
Old February 27, 2020, 08:56 PM   #7
dakota.potts

Did you check headspace afterwards? Removing material from the rear of the bolt lugs will increase headspace.