The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 27, 2014, 05:07 PM   #1
drjay9051

Question regarding Blackout Muzzle Brake

Waiting on a stamp for an AAC M4 2000 suppressor.
It has the 51 tooth ratchet and needs either an AAC Breakout or Blackout.

I am going Blackout.

Now I know non-suppressed the brake needs to be timed (ports at 3 and 9 O'clock).

I assume the suppressor covers the entire Blackout so is timing an issue? If it does not cover the ports on the Blackout I'm really lost as if that is the case how is the weapon suppressed?
Old December 27, 2014, 09:23 PM   #2
Theohazard

Timing is only an issue if you're shooting unsuppressed and the muzzle brake is exposed. In those cases, you want your muzzle brake to be oriented properly.
Old December 27, 2014, 10:05 PM   #3
BerdanSS

On the 51T blackout Muzzle Brake, yes.....The 51T 3 prong blackout flash hider...not so much.

My buddy has the 51T blackout FH with an M4-2000. He did time his blackout with a crush washer (along with some roc-set) to have one of the "prongs" at the exact 6'o'clock position. In hopes it would cause less of a downward blast, kicking up less dust when shooting prone. And it did, very marginally. Other than that I see no advantage in having the blackout FH "timed" in any specific way for shooting either suppressed or un-suppressed, considering the can does completely encapsulate the prongs. The holes/slots in the blackout MB are also completely covered by the can.

If you've never used or been around an M42000....your in for a treat

Last edited by BerdanSS; December 27, 2014 at 10:15 PM.
Old December 28, 2014, 12:44 PM   #4
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjay9051
I am going Blackout.
I missed this part. The Blackout isn't a brake, it's a flash hider. It doesn't make any difference which way it's oriented unless you're like BerdanSS' friend and you want to time it for other reasons.
Old December 28, 2014, 01:40 PM   #5
BerdanSS

Well, goofy as it sounds AAC does have a "brake'' version in the "blackout" lineup. That's what I got hung up on when I first read the OP. I don't know why they would of changed this because all it does is cause confusion with their products.

Originally I remember AAC and YHM having a pretty similar product. I fact that same friend has a now useless fast attach devise due to what I believe he describe as "patent issues". He has what clearly looks like to the untrained eye, a YHM "phantom" 5.56 fast attach suppressor FH...but it is clearly marked with AACs info of the time.

This part is his wording which may or may not be 100% accurate.

From what he told me, AAC moved to a proprietary thread system and changed the design of the FH to be totally different from the YHM system/style (or the other way around). As it was , AAC had two main options for QD devises. #1 The Blackout, a QD suppressor attachment that acts as a flash suppressor when a can is not mounted and #2 the Brakeout a DQ muzzle brake style. Then the system was confused with the addition of the Combo style compensator that was also name the brakeout The original "brake" MD was included into the "blackout" line and then was divided into two sub categories Brake and Flash suppressor.

See.....clear a soupy mud like I said not sure if that is all 100% accurate but the end result is the same.

The 51T Blackout Flash hider:
http://www.advanced-armament.com/BLA...der_p_447.html
The 51T Blackout Muzzle brake:
http://www.advanced-armament.com/Bla...ake_p_497.html
And the Brakeout compensator:
http://www.advanced-armament.com/BRA...tor_p_471.html

Last edited by BerdanSS; December 28, 2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old December 28, 2014, 01:51 PM   #6
drjay9051

It is the Blackout Muzzle Brake which I am getting. NOT the flash suppressor just pure brake.

Reason: The brake acts as a set of baffles in a sense and so as a result less wear and tear on the first baffles in the M4 2000. I know this only applies with SBR as in a say 18 inch barrel most of the gases are dissipated at 18 inches but it gives me peace of mind. At 1K and a 4 month wait AND $200 stamp I will treat my suppressor like a baby.

Yes I know if I shoot non-suppressed the blast to the sides will be quite annoying to say the least. I will be suppressed pretty much all the time no no worries.
Old December 30, 2014, 10:04 AM   #7
Willie Lowman

Drjay, a good friend of mine went with the AAC muzzle brake on his SBR for the reasons you mentioned. Baffle erosion is a real thing.

I use a Brakeout comp on my SCAR for the same reason. I have a Blackout flash hider on my 20" AR. I have found much less carbon fouling getting back into the suppressor mount threads when using the flash hider vs the comp.
Old December 30, 2014, 09:31 PM   #8
9mm

I just picked up my m4-2000 and got the muzzle brake due to the fact it protects the baffles, found a cheaper online prince than msrp $150. Only a few $$ more than the 2 in 1 comp, careful the names are tricky.

theres a

"break"
"blackout"
"breakout"

break is the 150 msrp best option IMO helps protect your rifle baffles
breakout is the 2-1 flash+break
blackout? I believe is just the plain flash hider